Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by blue00r6
Well if you're anything like I, you'll always be annoyed and unimpressed with the car you have because you know its not what you really want. you'll forget about the money part of it and just be annoyed that you have to close your trunk manually like some kind of animal. If it were me, I would sell the car private party for what you can get (what are they high 30ks?) and go lease a new car that you really want

Sorry to say, I have the exact car that you want; black p2,etc, and I rode in a buddy of mine's the other day that was only p1 no light package, lane tracking, trunk closer, and I chuckled in my head at how ill-equipped it was.

Find a way to get what you want without spending much more money, it's the only way you'll be able to not kick yourself every time a black E drives by
Not only was your post unhelpful but it was downright rude and wrong.

How well a car is equipped depends upon your point of view and what you've become accustomed to.

To say that he'll be unhappy with the car because he has to close the trunk manually vs pushing a button is absurd. Perhaps you need to buy a new car because the new ones now allow you to open your trunk by moving your foot under the bumper. I had that in my BMW and I've got to say that your car is like a Yugo unless you have that feature.

The halogen lights in Mercedes are some of the best in the industry and even if you currently have HIDs it might take a few weeks to get used to the different light pattern.

You have a first world problem if you think that a P1 equipped car is "ill equipped." You cam off sounding like the arrogant, pompous Mercedes driver that everyone hates.

Oh, you might also want to learn the difference between "I" and "me" and which one to use in a particular setting.

Last edited by CEB; 06-22-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 893 Likes on 642 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by janderson
So here's the story...

The company I work for leases a Mercedes for our CFO and CEO. My CFO's lease (E350) was ending on June 20th. Her idea was to not drive the car much at all and purchase the car at the end of her lease for her husband for the residual value.

I had been talking to her in the past about wanting an E class and last week she came to me and said that they decided not to purchase the E and asked if I was interested (of course I was). However, it is not the color I wanted (interior or exterior). I went ahead and purchased the car because it was an offer I didn't think I could turn down.

The dealer allowed me to purchase the car at the residual value as well as purchase and extended new car warranty. The day I went to the dealership and purchased the car I had some down time to look around and they just got the EXACT car I wanted in. So the question I pose to the group is with the 2014s now out, do you think I could sell the car I purchased and get the car I want and what is a realistic price for the car I want for at the dealership? I wouldn't mind paying over what I paid, but I cannot pay what the other car is listed for. Here is the scoop...

My new car:

2010 E350 Sport, 4,200 miles, Steel Grey, Almond Beige MB-Tex, Burl Walnut, P1, Sport Package (321). Price: $30,782 + 2,988 (warranty) + TTL

The car I REALLY want:

2013 E350 Sport, 9,472 miles, Black, Black MB-Tex, Burl Walnut, P2, Sport Package (321), Wheel Package (R08), Lane Tracking (993), Wheel Locks (068), Rear Trunklid Spoiler (104), Split-Folding Rear Seats (287), Wood & Leather Steering Wheel (314), Comfort Box (137). List Price: $52,950 + warranty + TTL

Any ideas what my car that I purchased would be worth if I sold or traded it in (it is in immaculate condition-still has new car smell) and a realistic idea of what I could get the 2013 for with the 2014 models out now?

I like the car I purchased, but I LOVE the 2013. I just don't now if I could get the 2013 at a good enough price to justify the flip. Any advice out there would be appreciated. Am I crazy? Wait, don't answer that...

Man,

you may have a real problem here with who you purchased the car from. If you trade it or sell it to get a different one your CFO may think she got taken advantage of to "give" you a hunk of money to pay for a more expensive car. She thinks she did a super favor letting you purchase the car but it was not that big of a favor though.

A quick check on the MB CPO search lists a 2010 P 1 with only 3600 miles for $37900. You paid $33770 so the difference is $4130 and is not even this much as the $37900 probably could be negotiated down some. The $4130 is the "deal" you got from this but your CFO may be thinking twice that as the dealer probably tells her the car would be priced at $40 000 or so to sell.

I can tell you that you will go crazy about the cars as you will be increasingly unhappy with the car you have. Believe me, it happened to me and the only way out is to get what you want. You just need to find a way to do it without upsetting your CFO, like trade the car in for the one you want and offer half of the trade-in difference to what you paid to your CFO to compensate the favor she did?

It may also be that the trade-in value of your car cannot be higher than what you paid at any Mercedes dealer as you bought it for the residual value and they all know this in their system.

And I feel sorry for you...(like there is any sorry to be driving a new MB like that....)

Last edited by Arrie; 06-22-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 & 2014 E350
How often would you really "need" or "use" those options. Most of the time I find myself just driving from A to B but enjoying the drive. These E350's are really nice cars. I'm not really an option's kind of guy though.

Also, how long do you plan to be at the company?

You could always tell your CFO that you gave/sold it to your mom, dad, or relative because they liked it sooo much.

Or tell them your wife liked it sooo much and so you bought another one.

Are they really going to go check out your garage or spy on you about this?
Old 06-22-2013, 09:06 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by blue00r6
Find a way to get what you want without spending much more money, it's the only way you'll be able to not kick yourself every time a black E drives by
Yeah but he'll be laughing every time he sees one in a well-maintained black car obsessing about every mark on their car, pulled over on the side of the road cleaning crap off of the car so it doesn't look worn out prematurely.

Ask me how I know. (but still probably worth it)

Originally Posted by CEB
Perhaps you need to buy a new car because the new ones now allow you to open your trunk by moving your foot under the bumper. I had that in my BMW and I've got to say that your car is like a Yugo unless you have that feature.

I love that friggin' feature on mine but 2014 models are introducing a "second kick" where you can now hands-free close the trunk as well. Now my car is like a Lada.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah but he'll be laughing every time he sees one in a well-maintained black car obsessing about every mark on their car, pulled over on the side of the road cleaning crap off of the car so it doesn't look worn out prematurely.

Ask me how I know. (but still probably worth it)

I love that friggin' feature on mine but 2014 models are introducing a "second kick" where you can now hands-free close the trunk as well. Now my car is like a Lada.
I once had a guy working for me that came to work an hour early and washed is car before he put it in the parking garage. He did the same at night. It was black and looked pretty good all the time.

No, your car is one step up from a Lada - it is a Trabant.

Back on topic. If somebody offered me a 350 with no miles for 20% under the going rate then I'd jump on it. In addition, steel gray is far nicer than black 99% of the time and is a traditional MB color.

Enjoy the car and the savings and thumb your nose at the guys driving black cars every time it rains.

Me? You couldn't give me a black car - been there, done that. K-A knows that a black car looks great for about 5 minuter after being washed.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:26 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I call my car "Metallic Jet Black" after it generates enough dust. They look like flakes.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
I never want a black car again
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I never want a black car again

The famous last words of everyone who's had a black car.

This will be my one and only black car as well (unless I get a black beater who I don't care about, then it's all good, but for my OCD car, never again). I adore the way it looks all blacked out but can't bear it again. However long this car stays with me will be however long I stay with a black car.

It's amazing when clean, but problem is, it's not effortlessly clean, too many man hours and energy put into keeping it so.

Just tonight I was spot cleaning something when I got home from being out, 2:30AM (just washed it yesterday, so black owners will understand), and accidentally SLIGHTLY bumped the bottom of the rear bumper with my knee. It was enough to make a little swirly mark. Nothing anyone can see, but enough to annoy me. So I took Scratch 2.0 to it (and it worked).

Moral of the story is.... with my white M-B's, I never had to take Scratch X to the paint ONCE! Nonetheless when I friggin' moderately swipe it with my pant leg.

I've shined my LED flashlight so many times against my shiny paint to "spot clean it" in a dim lit garage, that the light reflection constantly beaming back into my retinas give me migraines.

White or silver for me from now on, looks be damned.

Last edited by K-A; 06-23-2013 at 08:07 AM.