MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   2014 E Class Light Upgrade (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/505160-2014-e-class-light-upgrade.html)

CEB 07-06-2013 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5702202)
Let's try to stay on topic, Pano Roof and Xenon lights are way off topic.

To get back on Topic, I think the upgrade may be as simple as a headlight swap. You may not even have to incur any labor costs and if so it may not be that much. I would talk to the representative in the parts department at your dealership.

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5702672)
You are forgetting that pre-FL cars were Halogen Vs Bi-Xenon while the 2014 is LED Vs Adaptive LED. So in fact it may be as simple as a headlight swap. To get the adaptive LED to function will take more, but I am sure that none of the pre-FL guys that upgraded their headlights have adaptive headlights.

1. He did not ask for auto high beams (pre-FL guys that upgraded never asked for it either)
2. See #1.
3. PROBABLY the same. PROBABLY! I never stated anything as FACT!
4. Perhaps... the same guy that is asking the original question! :slap:
I never stated anything as fact, I was just suggesting that it may be that simple, so if he was to put in the research then the answer may be cheap and easy... or not... DUH!

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5702746)
You obviously dont know the difference between the two headlights.
Methinks you didn't spend enough time in any kind of education facility. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5703587)
Sorry I dont have the time to spoon feed you. I assume that you are a grown man/woman, look it up yourself, we have even discussed the differences between the headlight here on the forum.
Perhaps you should know a little something about a topic before you jump in a thread pretending to be a "subject matter expert" :rolleyes:

The headlights are brand new, so no one here has the answer you are seeking. I would suggest that if you are really interested in upgrading your headlights that you do some research on your own and maybe share what you learn with us.
It may be simple or it may be an overwhelming task. I believe that because both headlights are LED that there is a possibility it could be "plug and play" and all you may need is the headlight assembly and re-programing.
However, as we have seen before not even power folding mirrors are "plug and play" so it is unlikely to be that easy with Mercedes.

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5703829)
This post just shows how unintelligent you are. Because I never said I did!
I have been directing the OP to ask question and find out on his own because no one here knows the answer. Talking about the pre-FL car has nothing to do with the 2014. :slap:
Directing the OP to trade in his car without at least a little research just for some different headlight is simply Moronic!
How much experience do you have with the 2014... if the answer is "none" then... you should take this opportunity to STFU! :y

I thought I'd just preserve your posts in one simple place so other readers can determine for themselves what you did -or didn't - say before you back and make a sow's ear look like a silk purse.

You are also the one resorting to name calling telling people to "search because I don't have to spoon feed you" - the typical response of somebody trying to weasel their way out of an unpleasant situation.

Feel free to have the last word. I won't respond to your childish behavior but I may continue to contribute meaningful information. :crazy:

Tjdehya 07-06-2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by CEB (Post 5703911)
I thought I'd just preserve your posts in one simple place so other readers can determine for themselves what you did -or didn't - say before you back and make a sow's ear look like a silk purse.

You are also the one resorting to name calling telling people to "search because I don't have to spoon feed you" - the typical response of somebody trying to weasel their way out of an unpleasant situation.

Feel free to have the last word. I won't respond to your childish behavior but I may continue to contribute meaningful information. :crazy:

Thank you because you seem to lack basic English comprehension. If English is not your native language then i apologize for seeming so condescending, the words that I have highlighted can be researched in a dictionary.
The bolded words may help you succeed in life because if you cant understand your own native language then you are destined to be a bigger failure than you already are. :p:

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5702202)
Let's try to stay on topic, Pano Roof and Xenon lights are way off topic.

To get back on Topic, I think the upgrade may be as simple as a headlight swap. You may not even have to incur any labor costs and if so it may not be that much. I would talk to the representative in the parts department at your dealership.

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5702672)
You are forgetting that pre-FL cars were Halogen Vs Bi-Xenon while the 2014 is LED Vs Adaptive LED. So in fact it may be as simple as a headlight swap. To get the adaptive LED to function will take more, but I am sure that none of the pre-FL guys that upgraded their headlights have adaptive headlights.

1. He did not ask for auto high beams (pre-FL guys that upgraded never asked for it either)
2. See #1.
3. PROBABLY the same. PROBABLY! I never stated anything as FACT!
4. Perhaps... the same guy that is asking the original question! :slap:
I never stated anything as fact, I was just suggesting that it may be that simple, so if he was to put in the research then the answer may be cheap and easy... or not... DUH!

Methinks you didn't spend enough time in any kind of education facility. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5703587)
Sorry I dont have the time to spoon feed you. I assume that you are a grown man/woman, look it up yourself, we have even discussed the differences between the headlight here on the forum.
Perhaps you should know a little something about a topic before you jump in a thread pretending to be a "subject matter expert" :rolleyes:

The headlights are brand new, so no one here has the answer you are seeking. I would suggest that if you are really interested in upgrading your headlights that you do some research on your own and maybe share what you learn with us.
It may be simple or it may be an overwhelming task. I believe that because both headlights are LED that there is a possibility it could be "plug and play" and all you may need is the headlight assembly and re-programing.
However, as we have seen before not even power folding mirrors are "plug and play" so it is unlikely to be that easy with Mercedes.

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5703829)
This post just shows how unintelligent you are. Because I never said I did!
I have been directing the OP to ask question and find out on his own because no one here knows the answer. Talking about the pre-FL car has nothing to do with the 2014. :slap:
Directing the OP to trade in his car without at least a little research just for some different headlight is simply Moronic!
How much experience do you have with the 2014... if the answer is "none" then... you should take this opportunity to STFU! :y

jdhoang 07-06-2013 04:59 PM

OP inquired about upgrading to the lighting package. If you watched the video that DavidNJ posted, you would have seen this package requires camera, control unit and varioX projection module (see 0.34 sec into video) for the adaptive high beam and Active Curve illumination which the lighting package provides. So it looks like a bit more than "headlight swap."

Tjdehya 07-06-2013 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by jdhoang (Post 5704090)
OP inquired about upgrading to the lighting package. If you watched the video that DavidNJ posted, you would have seen this package requires camera, control unit and varioX projection module (see 0.34 sec into video) for the adaptive high beam and Active Curve illumination which the lighting package provides. So it looks like a bit more than "headlight swap."

You are late to the arena. Try reading the entire thread before posting next time, we are way beyond this already established fact.
Anyway Genius, Just to pick on you because you felt like getting involved. I was wondering where you thought the "VarioX projection module" could be located?

K-A 07-06-2013 08:59 PM

Don't blame TJ. The Vegas heat can cost some brain cells and he's not really a people person. Please do him a favor and quote this post as I know he'd appreciate it. :D

jdhoang 07-06-2013 09:31 PM

I had to post because this guy seems to be a self-proclaimed genius.

Tjdehya: Dude, I didn't claim to know this stuff like you did. I just pointed out what someone else posted and it didn't look like you read the thread before you responded.

CEB 07-06-2013 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jdhoang (Post 5704281)

Tjdehya: Dude, I didn't claim to know this stuff like you did. I just pointed out what someone else posted and it didn't look like you read the thread before you responded.

Don't let TJ get to you. He knows nothing about lighting but needs to put in his 2 cents' worth - and then attacks anyone who doesn't agree with him.

This conversation has been very enlightening. We've seen that high heat fries brain cells.

More on point, we know that lighting upgrades aren't easy and they are expensive.

Nuru 07-06-2013 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by CEB (Post 5704292)
Don't let TJ get to you. He knows nothing about lighting but needs to put in his 2 cents' worth - and then attacks anyone who doesn't agree with him.

This conversation has been very enlightening. We've seen that high heat fries brain cells.

More on point, we know that lighting upgrades aren't easy and they are expensive.

Oh yeah, the lighting conversion is probably quite expensive. MBenz did not make it easy for the Pre-FL cars and it is not easy for the FL cars. Those upgraded packages include a lot of extras including different options being turned on in the various SAM Modules. I looked into it for the 2010 - 2013 cars and just decided it was far too expensive and too much work for me even though I have retrofit factory NAV into 3 of my previous MB cars, with the 2008 C-Class being the most challenging (requiring me to rewire my entertainment harness in my car to accommodate the NAV Headunit, auxillary fan, and retractable display). That was fun, but it took a few hours on StarTekInfo and assistance from more knowledgeable forum members to get the info I needed. The upgraded packages require the fender sensors just like the Pre-FL cars. I also think they have added a few additional sensors/sensor support to make the system more accurate, so that added to the complexity in the FL.

As indicated in one of my previous posts - adding a little more to it:

3rd party simple (replacing the bulbs) and complex (sending your headlight assemblies off to be modified) - inexpensive to medium expensive:eek:, but you will need to wait for a system that is compatible with the new assemblies

Retrofit - expensive and will take some research, and probably some time at the dealership to get them to make sure that all the coding is done correctly. Also it may require additional wiring as when I looked into the pre-FL cars, my 2010 did not have the additional electrical harnesses to accommodate the sensors located behind the fender wells. It also required a different steering column!:eek: So the complexity of those two mods made me drop the idea of trying to retrofit in the pre-FL cars.

Now if MB has made it simpler which I doubt, then that is good.

However, one way to check on this is to get the VIN from a car on the lot with those features and have the parts guy at the dealership compare the parts associated with your car equipped with the non-upgrade lights and the car with the upgraded lights. That is what I did on the Pre-FL cars and that research told me quite a bit about what I needed, the complexity, and how much it would cost.

I hope this helps.

Nuru 07-06-2013 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 5704257)
Don't blame TJ. The Vegas heat can cost some brain cells and he's not really a people person. Please do him a favor and quote this post as I know he'd appreciate it. :D

Hello K-A, quite a timely post LOL!

CEB 07-06-2013 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 5704257)

I'm sorry. I should have quoted it earlier :)

Tjdehya 07-07-2013 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by jdhoang (Post 5704281)

Wow, Late to the game and highly inaccurate.

I guess you still haven't read the thread because if you did you would realize that the others are the ones claiming to know everything and I am the only one suggesting that the OP research the possibility before he gives up or trades in his vehicle.

Here is another one for you. I would like you to find the post where I said I "Know" if this mod can be done. If you have difficulty finding it then perhaps you should do now what you should have done in the first place. Back away from the keyboard! :p:

DavidNJ 07-07-2013 02:31 AM

Just a note in this fest of name calling: the OP hasn't posted since the thread was started.

CEB 07-07-2013 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ (Post 5704448)
Just a note in this fest of name calling: the OP hasn't posted since the thread was started.

Would you come back here and post after some deranged guy from Vegas goes off on everyone else in the thread with wild statements about how easy this mod is?

I'm sorry, let me correct that - about how easy this mod probably is.

You know, he's probably right - it probably is no more difficult than reattaching a severed limb - with all the required wiring and whatnot.

Back to the OP - don't let one guy who partied too much for the 4th and then went out in the Vegas sun for too long scare you away from this board. It has a wealth of information (even in this thread if you discount the drivel from the Vegas fellow) and you can learn a lot about your cars (and about the dangers caused by the Vegas sun) :)

jdhoang 07-07-2013 01:49 PM

LOL - remind me not to p-ss you off, CEB. Actually let me apologize in advance if I unintentionally do so in the future. :bow:

CEB 07-07-2013 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jdhoang (Post 5704752)
LOL - remind me not to p-ss you off, CEB. Actually let me apologize in advance if I unintentionally do so in the future. :bow:

Not to worry, I don't speak English well and have no edukashun :)

You know, we all say stupid things, but most of us leave that thread with some sort of "mea culpa" recognizing that we've learned something. What isn't acceptable is attacking every other poster and trying to bend posts into something they aren't.

This post is a prime example. If I thoughtlessly say "it is probably a cheap and easy mod" and other posters provide overwhelming evidence that it isn't, then I'd probably agree, say I hadn't thought it through and carry on.

Saying "I won't spoon feed you the information" really translates into "I have no farking clue what I'm talking about so I can't explain it."

I feel sorry for the OP who got a bad impression about this board after asking a simple question and watching it deteriorate.

sinape62 07-08-2013 09:55 PM

Flabbergasted by all the posturing on the W212 forum, glad I don't own one!

ZeroMB 11-07-2013 06:58 PM

Sorry to resurrect this drama thread. But I have the same question as the OP. Did anyone figure out whether this upgrade can be done? I know the individual headlight modules are very expensive but that's not the question. I just want to know if it's possible and if anyone has done it?

I just picked up a 2014 E550 4MATIC. You can no longer custom build them. What's on the lots are all that's left. So I got 90% of what I wanted in my options but the sole casualty was the Lighting Package. :( So curious if anyone has confirmed whether it is doable or not.

And contrary to this post, I do NOT think the standard lights are LED. The Lighting Package ones are LED. But for the standard lights, you can definitely see filament bulbs inside it.

Dema 11-07-2013 08:17 PM

You are correct standard package has halogen high beam lamps. Thank to the forum to educate me. However low beam are LED and pretty good. I am glad I wasn't desperate for lighting package since I live in city area and very rarely drive in areas where high beam is really needed. Standard LED looks a little better than previous HID lamps, so generally it is still a progress.

Eclassed 11-09-2013 01:15 AM

I thought going in that I would absolutely need to get the car with the lighting package but thats because I thought it was like previous generations that only came withe Halogen lamps as standard. But when I found out that LED was standard the pressure for me to find one with lighting package wasn't worth it so I settled for a car without lighting package because I wanted a white e-class more then the lighting package and now after having my car for a couple weeks I really could care less about the lighting package I'm not losing sleep at all the lighting package does look great and all but its definitely not worth spending thousands of dollars to retrofit them. Just my $0.02

Dema 11-09-2013 01:27 AM

Lighting package was obviously hyped by the forum. It can make sense for people living in rural areas, but for metrosexuals

ZeroMB 11-09-2013 01:31 AM

I like the new DRL on the lighting package headlights. But the standard lights are growing on me. Too bad the high beams aren't LED but rarely use them anyways.

Dema 11-09-2013 01:33 AM

I usually disable DRL, I do not like too much attention.

CEB 11-09-2013 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ZeroMB (Post 5836473)
Sorry to resurrect this drama thread. But I have the same question as the OP. Did anyone figure out whether this upgrade can be done? I know the individual headlight modules are very expensive but that's not the question. I just want to know if it's possible and if anyone has done it?

I just picked up a 2014 E550 4MATIC. You can no longer custom build them. What's on the lots are all that's left. So I got 90% of what I wanted in my options but the sole casualty was the Lighting Package. :( So curious if anyone has confirmed whether it is doable or not.

And contrary to this post, I do NOT think the standard lights are LED. The Lighting Package ones are LED. But for the standard lights, you can definitely see filament bulbs inside it.

Any retrofit is possible given sufficient funds but you really need to decide if the extremely high cost (easily 5 times the cost of the option cost) is worth it.

The low beams are LED and the highs are conventional. I'd compare this to a conventional HID system with the lighting option like a bi-xenon system (plus the adaptive high beams).

The base system is a great leap from the pre-face lift halogens.

rb23lb 07-09-2014 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by ZeroMB (Post 5836473)

just picked up a 14 GLK and same issue - I want to upgrade the lights to the OEM version

anybody do this?

usamuscle 07-10-2014 01:39 AM

This would be so much easier if you walked Into your local service area and asked for help. Not the service advisor either , walking to the actual bay. You may have to drive tour benz inside so they don't stop you but it's worth a shot. And this is all this tj guy said. Jesus people