W212 DRL Halogen to LED Conversion Guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C280 1997 (W202)
W212 DRL Halogen to LED Conversion Guide

Hi,

If anyone else has bought their W212 with the round fog and DRL lights and wants to change them to LED bulbs inside I have a few tips I picked up along the way.

The fogs are pretty straight forward. I just jacked the car up, pulled the plastic down (releasing one bolt and two of the plastic restraints), and twisted the fog light counter clockwise until is came out. Swapped the bulb and placed it back.

The DRL bulbs are a different animal all together. First they are held in place by a metal bracket that is designed to be put on and not removed. It has one way flaps that grip to the plastic of the housing. The only way to replace these bulbs is to remove the housing.

There are two screws that hold the housing in and one alignment pin. The passenger side allows for plenty of access to the screws and it is not difficult to remove. However, the Driver's side, just like the headlight is misery. The windshield washer bottle extend to right behind the housing. So accessing the screws is difficult. If you have large hand, you can pretty much forget about reaching it. The lower screw is manageable but the higher one is very tight space. I attached a picture of the back of the housing for your reference.

Once the housings are out you will be able to see the metal bracket. It has six flaps holding onto three plastic pins. You have to be careful as those plastic pins are pretty fragile and can snap on you. I used needle nose pliers to gently bend the flaps back and remove the metal piece. Should you have any problems or want to cut the piece off the part number for it is 002-994-39-45. A set of two costs around $10-15 from Mercedes.

Putting the housings back is a little easier. I recommend you check the LED bulbs you are putting inside both work and do not throw up any error codes before finalizing everything.

If you have any other questions, let me know I would be glad to help!
Attached Thumbnails W212 DRL Halogen to LED Conversion Guide-t2ec16fhjgie9nnwpropbq-tormcg-60_3.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Coupe
Lightbulb Help

Dear member,

Thank you for sharing your insight. I have a coupe and I am trying to start this. I noticed the bottom of the car was completely sealed off.

Do you have pictures to help guide step wise?

How did you finish the driver side?

Thank you Kindly!