E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Premium or Regular Unleaded?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
These cars are sold across the globe and exposed to different enviromental conditions. As a result Mercedes takes a conservative approach and recommends the best possible gas and for that matter oil. If you live high up in the mountains when yes, perhaps you should be using a higher level octaine but if you are at a dead sea level when you are just wasting money.

Mercedes takes the same approach with motor oil when they recommend 0W-40 for most of its cars. Whats the point of putting 0W-40 motor oil in your Mercedes if you live in Saudi Arabia, do you really expect winters to hit -45?

Last edited by vedro; 01-06-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 841 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by El Cid
1. All gasoline sold in U.S. has ethanol, even premium except those specifically sold as not having ethanol. Non-ethanol premium is going to cost considerably more than premium and most "branded" stations will not sell non-ethanol fuels.
2. Ethanol does not raise the octane. The sole purpose of ethanol was to add something to fuel to lower imports of petroleum. Sort of like watering down beer or liquor.
Now its purpose is to provide income for corn agribusiness, refineries, distributors, transporters, and politicians they support.
If ethanol was so good, the US would cancel the embargo on Cuba and import sugar to make higher grade ethanol.
Then perhaps you could explain why the same octane fuel without ethanol cost quite a lot more than the one with ethanol. I think it is because they use more expensive chemistry to raise octane rating without ethanol.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
I only buy 93
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Supply and Demand

Originally Posted by Arrie
Then perhaps you could explain why the same octane fuel without ethanol cost quite a lot more than the one with ethanol. I think it is because they use more expensive chemistry to raise octane rating without ethanol.
Since almost all stations are required to sell all types of gas with ethanol, most do not want an extra set of tanks and maybe pumps for non-ethanol fuels. So they don't purchase it. This creates a very low demand for the distributors who must transport the gas from tank farms to local stations. Therefore they have to charge extra for it. Also, because of the higher cost, the stations selling non-ethanol must charge more since they can't make it up on volume sales. Not to mention, people will pay more for non-ethanol. I use non-ethanol 93 octane in all my outdoor equipment even though only requires 87 octane. This is due to the harmful effects of ethanol on small engines.
Ethanol does NOT raise the octane level of fuels.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since almost all stations are required to sell all types of gas with ethanol, most do not want an extra set of tanks and maybe pumps for non-ethanol fuels. So they don't purchase it. This creates a very low demand for the distributors who must transport the gas from tank farms to local stations. Therefore they have to charge extra for it. Also, because of the higher cost, the stations selling non-ethanol must charge more since they can't make it up on volume sales. Not to mention, people will pay more for non-ethanol. I use non-ethanol 93 octane in all my outdoor equipment even though only requires 87 octane. This is due to the harmful effects of ethanol on small engines.
Ethanol does NOT raise the octane level of fuels.
Below a couple of internet sites that state that ethanol does boost octane rating.

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars..._octane_number

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4150245AAnfbUg
Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
This one says E10 does not raise octane levels. Even worse though is the loss of fuel efficiency (MPG) and performance with any level of ethanol.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/gasoline...hanol_E10.html
Regardelss, thread is whether to use 87 or 91 octane and answer is always use 91.
You believe what you want and I'll know what I know.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This one says E10 does not raise octane levels. Even worse though is the loss of fuel efficiency (MPG) and performance with any level of ethanol.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/gasoline...hanol_E10.html
Regardelss, thread is whether to use 87 or 91 octane and answer is always use 91.
You believe what you want and I'll know what I know.
I have never said I would run with less than premium gas. If you thought so then you have misunderstood me somehow.

I have always said that it does not make any sense to run with lower octane gas as your savings at the pump are lost on the road. I always go with 93 octane if it is available.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 AM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
1. All gasoline sold in U.S. has ethanol, even premium except those specifically sold as not having ethanol. Non-ethanol premium is going to cost considerably more than premium and most "branded" stations will not sell non-ethanol fuels.
2. Ethanol does not raise the octane. The sole purpose of ethanol was to add something to fuel to lower imports of petroleum. Sort of like watering down beer or liquor.
Now its purpose is to provide income for corn agribusiness, refineries, distributors, transporters, and politicians they support.
If ethanol was so good, the US would cancel the embargo on Cuba and import sugar to make higher grade ethanol.
I believe Alaska has ethanol-free gasoline (all grades), and Montana and Missouri have exemptions to sell ethanol-free Premium. No idea how or why.

The MB engine has been designed to run on Premium for all of the reasons discussed...such as ethanol fuels which because of economics and politics are not going away anytime soon; increased compression and advanced timing to overcome the power lost due to ethanol fuels; providing reasonable fuel economy and performance, etc. You can run your car on Regular grade but unless you drive like "the little old lady" I really don't think it is recommended.