E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Right Side Tweeters in 2012 E550 Not Working Right

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
Right Side Tweeters in 2012 E550 Not Working Right

Recently picked up this 550 and noticed this week that the tweeters on the right side are having some problems.

The rear tweeter just doesnt quite sound right compared to the right I can move the fader to the back and balance right to left and the left side sounds clearer. Fairly minor but noticeable.

The right front tweeter is the real problem. Today it just started putting out static and high pitched screeching sounds. I pulled the tweeter and hooked it up to a small amplifier I have and the speaker itself sounds fine.

Hooked up another speaker to the tweeters wires in the door and it makes the same static and screech sound.

The static sound does not seem to be effected by the volume or source it stays the same whether the volume is turned up or down. It also kept making the sound when I turned the balance completely to the left, the mid made no sound when the balance was turned to the left.

I was reading some threads and according to the threads the tweeter is wired in parallel with the mid in the door. The mid sounds fine, I dont notice any strange sound coming from it.

Is it possible the wire running from the mid to the tweeter is having some interference, or does the tweeter run on its own channel from an amplifier?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Is it not under warranty?

Based on the wiring diagram there is two pairs of signals going from the amp to the front speakers in each door, one for the bass and one for the mid/high. For the right the amp wires go to the door electrical connector (X35/2) and they go to the speakers from there. Brown/Red(-) and Red(+) for the bass and Brown/Orange(-) and Orange(+) for the mid/tweets. I'm guessing there is a cheap high pass filter cap on the tweeter itself.

The front right mid/tweeter connector on the amplifier itself is pin 17(-) and pin 5(+)
Attached Files
Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 PM

E550
Originally Posted by GregTR
Is it not under warranty?

Based on the wiring diagram there is two pairs of signals going from the amp to the front speakers in each door, one for the bass and one for the mid/high. For the right the amp wires go to the door electrical connector (X35/2) and they go to the speakers from there. Brown/Red(-) and Red(+) for the bass and Brown/Orange(-) and Orange(+) for the mid/tweets. I'm guessing there is a cheap high pass filter cap on the tweeter itself.

The front right mid/tweeter connector on the amplifier itself is pin 17(-) and pin 5(+)

Thanks for the info.

It is under warranty, the problem is I am about 2.5 hours one way from the nearest dealer. Was thinking if it was just a loose connection etc I'd fix it myself.

This problem did start around the same time that I got my windows tinted. I think it was probably just coincidence, but out of curiosity where is the amplifier located? I am wondering if it is in an area that could have gotten wet when they were doing the tint.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Behind driver side trunk panel (10 in diagram). Door panel removal https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-replaced.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
amplifier.pdf (69.4 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 01-03-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by jcotter
Thanks for the info.

It is under warranty, the problem is I am about 2.5 hours one way from the nearest dealer. Was thinking if it was just a loose connection etc I'd fix it myself.

This problem did start around the same time that I got my windows tinted. I think it was probably just coincidence, but out of curiosity where is the amplifier located? I am wondering if it is in an area that could have gotten wet when they were doing the tint.
Gotcha! Well I'd say it's just a coincidence as the amplifier is nowhere near the windows. The only thing can be that when they wetted the windows down they oversprayed it into the tweeters and somehow screwed them up. Somehow I find that highly unlikely especially that a different speaker produces the same results.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Originally Posted by GregTR
Gotcha! Well I'd say it's just a coincidence as the amplifier is nowhere near the windows. The only thing can be that when they wetted the windows down they oversprayed it into the tweeters and somehow screwed them up. Somehow I find that highly unlikely especially that a different speaker produces the same results.

Tweet and mid are paralleled from same wire from amp, so if it was a problem at the amp, both speakers would have it. I'm betting it's a moisture issue causing this. What I would like to know is if the static is produced at all volumes or does it go away at a certain volume? If at all volumes, it's internally in the speaker.

It also wouldn't surprise me that one speaker exhibits it and another doesn't. It may very well be moisture in the tweeters housing affecting the voice coil. It should dry out with time, I just wouldn't play it till it does or you could ruin it.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 AM

E550
I listened a little closer after I posted this and I believe the mid is not making any noise and the tweeter makes the static sound.

I can hear some clean sound from the door, but it is all pretty low frequency I am guessing that is the bass speaker.

When I get some time later this week I'll pull the door panel, take a closer look at the mid/tweeter, and see how they play when an external amp is hooked up to them.

Thanks again for the additional info!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 AM

E-CLASS,AUDI A6,BMW 3 SERIES
hey how do you take out the tweeter covers in the w212
Old 02-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Unclip panel - https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post6182834