E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 Stuck in Park after Battery died

Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 e350 sport 4 matic
E350 Stuck in Park after Battery died

My battery died in 2010 E350 - started with jump battery and now it is stuck in park with a Large C next to the lights that show R, P and D. How do you get the car to shift after battery discharge?

I don't see anything in the user manual that tells what the large C means - I was assuming it meant charging while the motor was running. Left it running for over 15 minutes and it still will not shift into forward or reverse.

Help!!

Lynn
Grants Pass Oregon
Old 01-05-2014, 02:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
there is a separate battery for controlling the shifting/transmission. Call your dealer to find out where it is on your car. It's either under the dash or under one of the seats. You may have to replace it.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
interesting topic, seems to happen fairly often, found this:

"Thank you for posting an answer to your problem. It helped me tremendously as I was having the same problem and could not figure out what could be wrong with my car. I have a 2002 C240 that I've driven for almost 8 years now. One morning I went into the garage and started the car. When it turned on I heard a loud roaring noise under the hood that went away about 1 minute after driving. Noticed also that my check engine light had come on one day after this began as well. Another day the key would not turn at all in the ignition so I used my spare key and that key did start the car. However, I noticed later that day, that the car at times would not shift beyond 1st or 2nd gear with the spare key. When I had the strange shifting problem, I noticed that it usually accompanied the S or W gear indicator not appearing in the dash and at various times I would still have the strange shifting problem even when I saw the gear indicator in the dash at which point I would have to turn the car off and back on again and then the gear indicator would not show once again. I thought this may still be key recognition related so I ordered a new key from the dealer. The new key worked without issue for a couple hours, then same issue. Left me scratching my head until I read this forum and decided to have the battery tested. Low and behold, the battery was in deed bad and was not supplying enough charge to the electrical system. Switched it out and have had no problem since. Car runs and behaves like new, all errors have cleared from my dash and check engine light has gone off too. Thanks initial poster for your response on what fixed your issue as it helped me fix mine as well."
Old 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
My main battery died recently and I asked tech who replaced it about the other battery for transmission. He said he had never seen that battery fail in over 10 years of doing roadside assistance and working at the dealership when not on the road.
Manual says nothing about this "second" battery as to location, testing or replacing.
Is there more information that owners should know?
Old 12-26-2017, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 mercedes w212
You found out what caused that because i gotta same issue. But mine ABS light also came on. Please let me know how you solved this issue
Originally Posted by Roguefirm
My battery died in 2010 E350 - started with jump battery and now it is stuck in park with a Large C next to the lights that show R, P and D. How do you get the car to shift after battery discharge?

I don't see anything in the user manual that tells what the large C means - I was assuming it meant charging while the motor was running. Left it running for over 15 minutes and it still will not shift into forward or reverse.

Help!!

Lynn
Grants Pass Oregon
Old 12-26-2017, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Did u restart the car after it ran for 15 min? It could of helped

your main battery on the way out , which also could hell to discharge the other battery (auxilary i believe its called , which actually in charge of small electronics including tranny shiffter) good luck