E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
E350 Failure

I have a 2012 E350 that has 16,000 miles on it. Back in September while driving on the freeway, I hit a chuck hole that was not severe. The car went into "limp" mode. There was very little throttle travel, steering became less assisted, and several warning lights were displayed on the dash. I had to drive about five miles before I could exit. Once off the road, I was able to turn off and restart the vehicle. After a couple of starting cycles, it returned to normal operation but with a check engine light on. That also went out after a couple of additional start/re-start cycles.

When I returned home, I took the car for service, reported the failure, and had it inspected. They found nothing.

Over the next few months, I encountered problems periodically on initial startup. The car starts but displays a variety of problems on the DIC. Prominent are front suspension malfunction, SRS malfunction, cruise disabled, etc. The seat adjusters will not work and the car will not shift into drive or reverse. The frequency of this happening and the number of times the car needed re-starting to then work, slowly increased.

A couple of weeks ago, I returned to the dealer to have it looked at. They stated they made some programming changes and re-booted the computers, BS I assumed and told them as much.

Six days ago I returned the vehicle to the service department. Nothing had changed and the problem persists. They now tell me they have re-created the problem but have no answer. They have opened a case with Mercedes and are working on a solution.

I am well aware of the "Lemon Laws" and really don't want to get into that discussion at this point. My question would be if anyone has had a similar problem and the cure if any. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w212
Mine wouldn't start a couple times and they changed out a bunch of the internal electronics. The main thing was the auto light switch, it was keeping the lights on too long after the car was off.

Sounds like you may have knocked something loose when hitting that hole. Roads here in Ohio are starting to look very ugly this winter and I'm nervously darting back and forth to avoid all the holes.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
As an update, they have finally declared my vehicle fixed and returned it to me. They replaced the fuse block because of a suspected short. So far so good and we will see if this is truly a long term fix.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully it works out for you!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 Sport
Fuse block short. . Interesting
Hope it runs as you expected going forward