MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Winter tires and TPMS (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/527681-winter-tires-tpms.html)

boltonblue 01-15-2014 09:09 PM

Winter tires and TPMS

I just picked up a second set of rims to mount my snows on.
I do have a quick questioning about the TPMS sensors though.
Do the new sensors need to be programmed in through the ODBII port?
Will the car "remember" the sensors from the original wheels?

mikemargolis 01-16-2014 05:48 PM

They swap in and out automatically, there must be a proximity sensor, because it doesn't read the TPMS in the spare tire in your trunk.

Take wheel off, put wheel on, drive a few minutes and it reads the spinning wheel.

stale-bread 01-16-2014 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by mikemargolis (Post 5910152)
They swap in and out automatically, there must be a proximity sensor, because it doesn't read the TPMS in the spare tire in your trunk.

Take wheel off, put wheel on, drive a few minutes and it reads the spinning wheel.

Mike is correct. My co-worker has an '09 and he bought four used winter tires mounted on OEM rims and sure enough, the sensors from the winter tires kicked in in a few minutes.

boltonblue 01-16-2014 09:19 PM

Excellent.
There is not a lot of clear info out there when trying to understand the how the various systems work.
I surely didn't want to be signing up for a trip to the dealer every spring and fall.

TitanTPMS 01-22-2014 04:00 PM

Here is what you need to do for Relearning TPMS.

Relearn New Sensor Ids.

Ensure all tires are inflated to the pressure listed on the tire placard. Vehicle must be driven for at least 10 minutes, while maintaining speed above 15 mph in order for system to learn new sensor IDs. If spare tire sensor ID is being programmed, a properly formatted scan tool is necessary.

RESET Air Pressure
1. Inflate all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.
2. Turn ignition to ON position (engine off).
3. Press forward/back button on steering wheel until trip and odometer are displayed.
4. Press UP/DOWN button until tire inflation pressure monitor is displayed
5. Hold down reset button (located on instrument cluster) until MONITOR CURRENT TIRE PRESSURE? Is displayed.
6. Press + button TIRE PRESS, MONITOR ACTIVATED-PRESS. DISPLAY AFTER DRIVING A FEW MINS. is displayed.
7. If REACTIVATE-TIRE PRESS. MONITOR! Appears, repeat relearn procedure.
8. If CHECK TIRES! appears, indicates tire pressure too low, adjust pressures accordingly

boltonblue 01-22-2014 08:52 PM

To my knowledge, the installer didn't actually have to do anything. I could be wrong.
3 miles down the road it correctly detected the new sensors and was all happy.

For the record, it was a new set of OEM MB sensors.

stale-bread 01-22-2014 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 5916979)
To my knowledge, the installer didn't actually have to do anything. I could be wrong.
3 miles down the road it correctly detected the new sensors and was all happy.

For the record, it was a new set of OEM MB sensors.

So the sensors worked for you too? glad to hear!:y

ImInPA 01-23-2014 10:59 AM

I bought a set of winter tires on rims from Tire Rack. I think I paid $250 for a set of TPMS sensors installed with the new rims and tires. When they arrived, all I had to do was mount them and drive. Within a few minutes, all four new wheels, with new TPMS were recognized. Iw th the price being so reasonable, you may want to consider getting a second set of TPMS sensors and just leaving them in the winter rims.

DeanBee 01-23-2014 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ImInPA (Post 5917552)
I bought a set of winter tires on rims from Tire Rack. I think I paid $250 for a set of TPMS sensors installed with the new rims and tires.

Did you buy MB TPMS or a different brand for this price point?
With an April delivery for my E250BT, I won't need them this winter but certainly will be buying steel rims and TPMS for next winter.

ImInPA 01-23-2014 03:24 PM

It was 3rd party. Tire Rack is very reputable. I have never had a TPMS problem with them.

medamullet 11-06-2015 11:44 AM

reset

This may work to reset on newer models. I drive a 2011 and there isn't a reset in the dash. In the menu there isn't a reset for tire pressures. It just says inoperable.