E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

iPod not charging when connected to Media Cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 E300, 2017 C300
iPod not charging when connected to Media Cable

I have been using my iPhone 5S in my 2010 E350 Coupe, connecting the phone via the 30 pin adapter media cable and using a 30 pin to lightning adapter. I am able to use the command system to access all the music choice features and play music that is on my phone. However it is bothersome. to connect my phone when I get in the car and remove it when I park. Sometimes I forget to disconnect the phone and have to go back to the car to remove it.

I recently purchased an iPod Nano 7th generation and downloaded all my music from iTunes. The iPod works just like the iPhone did. I leave it in the car and do not worry about whether I have it or not. It turns off when I shut off the ignition and turns on again when I start the car.

However, I find that the iPod does not charge from the media cable. I checked it after a few days and it's battery was down to under 10%. I can charge it at home or from the cigarette lighter socket in the ash tray, but it does not charge when it is connected to the media cable.

Is this normal or is there something I need to do to charge it from the media cable?

I do not know if the iPhone charged from the media cable because I never intentionally left the phone in the car for several days.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
I had an iPod touch in my 2011 E550, December 2010 build. The battery did NOT charge on the media cable.

Got a software update at the dealer, and it then began to charge. I use it only on long trips, the last one 9 months ago.

I always worry that software updates will be screwed up by subsequent service activity --- won't know until May. In the software business we call that degradation. I'm not sure that Mercedes is fully on board mentally when it comes to software.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 E300, 2017 C300
Thanks Live Oak. I will discuss the Comand software update with my dealer at the next service in a few months from now.