E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Touchless Car Wash - MB says don't use them

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E550
Touchless Car Wash - MB says don't use them

My MB manual says that automatic car washes are fine, but warns not to use touchless washes because the chemicals are too harsh for the paint and trim. This is the first time I have seen this and like many folks prefer touchless to avoid scratches and subjecting trim pieces to aggressive brushes.

Anyone have insight on this and the difference in chemicals used between touch and touchless car washes? Do touchless have higher concentrations of degreasers/solvents, high/low pH, abrasive agents etc.?

Seems to me that
1) as long as the car is rinsed well, the chemicals will be removed after only brief contact
2) using a touchless is probably better than leaving salt, grime, bird droppings etc on your car

Additionally, what about cars with the hood ornament star? Any problem running those through an auto wash with brushes?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 890 Likes on 640 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Smile

Originally Posted by Kolya1
My MB manual says that automatic car washes are fine, but warns not to use touchless washes because the chemicals are too harsh for the paint and trim. This is the first time I have seen this and like many folks prefer touchless to avoid scratches and subjecting trim pieces to aggressive brushes.

Anyone have insight on this and the difference in chemicals used between touch and touchless car washes? Do touchless have higher concentrations of degreasers/solvents, high/low pH, abrasive agents etc.?

Seems to me that
1) as long as the car is rinsed well, the chemicals will be removed after only brief contact
2) using a touchless is probably better than leaving salt, grime, bird droppings etc on your car

Additionally, what about cars with the hood ornament star? Any problem running those through an auto wash with brushes?

Thanks
I almost always use the brush washers. The one I use very regularly is one of those with hanging strips and brushes. I use thouchless only when car was washed just a day or two ago and has some loose "dust" on it.

The car I have is a work horse meant to be driven and I absolutely cannot worry about "scratches" the car wash brushes make. My dealer washes my car at every service visit with brushes so why would I not?

The hood ornament can get misaligned by the wash with brushes and strips so when this happens you can ask the washer attendant to straighten it back to the correct position.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Free dealer car washes for life, yo
Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
I use touch-less, been using it since day 1. Wax regularly, paint looks like new.
The MB statement is dependent on chemicals being used, my wash using the latest technology...paint friendly.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 AM

2012 E550
Originally Posted by Kolya1

Seems to me that

Thanks
My manual warned of damage to electronics as the reason for not using the car washes. The high pressure of water used at many angles increases the chance that water will make it inside and cause damage.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 AM

2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by qtip
how?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 AM

2008 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by qtip
That's the way to do it
Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
The touchless washes have to use stronger chemicals. Try spraying water on your car vs. washing it with a sponge or cloth.
I have used the automatic kind with hanging strips for many, many years with no problems at all. Hood ornament doesn't even move. Do not use the ones with brushes though. Have noticed BMW's, Lexus' and MB's at one I use and even the black ones look good.
My manual says to activate the recirculation while car is going through the car wash. This is to prevent water from getting into the ventilation system, AC, cabin filter and whatever else. Another poor design by MB engineers as no other vehicles require this.
Spoke with technician at MBUSA and he said that the recirc automatically deactivates five minutes after car is turned off or when it is turned back on. So I leave car running until attendant gets it to the end of the conveyor and he turns it off. I do my own vacuming and interior cleaning so this is not a problem - so far.
I usually check out my car beforehand for tar, bugs, etc. and clean them off myself.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:31 AM

E 250
I don't live close enough to the dealer to use their car washes, but a new car wash opened up right near me that offers a monthly plan service that for a pretty reasonably priced quick wash. They have a sign up that says "wash your car every day". I don't do that, but there have been a few weeks where I've gone two or three times in a week to get the salt off. It's been great this winter.

I do avoid their "liquid fire detergent" option which sounds kind of harsh. And they have a belt conveyer system rather than pushing the car along from one wheel which I like.

The car looks so much better when it's clean!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:10 AM

lexus gx470
Those brushes are the worse thing that can touch your paint during a wash. Even at the dealer.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 AM

2014 G-550
How does one get free car washes from the local MB dealer besides taking the car in for service??
Old 02-13-2014, 10:54 AM

lexus gx470
Originally Posted by ArcticE
How does one get free car washes from the local MB dealer besides taking the car in for service??
They all do it. As long as you have their plate frames. My lexus dealer does it too. And they all use brushes. I have yet to see one that does hand washes.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Bring my car on a regular basis to the $3 wash. Not touchless but does an excellent job especially for the price. Includes free ultra vacuum that could suck your face off! My dealer does the free washes as well but it's not worth the wait.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:09 PM

lexus gx470
Excellent job swirling your paint too I'm sure.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Excellent job swirling your paint too I'm sure.
Nope. But thanks for expressing an opinion you know nothing about. It's more gentle on my paint than any of the dealer installed automatic washing system I've experienced. In fact, my cars in the past have been swirled by hand washes that cost upwards of $20.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM

lexus gx470
Got any up-close pics of your paint?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:07 PM

BMW 5er
i don't trust the brushes or the flaps, because they can theoretically collect dirt particles from other vehicles and grind them into your paint.

i stick with a nice touch less machine for $7 even though the pressure is a little high. but that's just to dislodge the dirt - the real deal happens when you take your own elbow grease and a microfiber cloth with the detailing product of your choice and run your hands over the body panels until their smooth and mirror-like. no one else cares as much to do the job right.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:22 PM

lexus gx470
Some people just care more than others i guess. I have a whole wash procedure i stick to and still need to buff out rids or swirls every once in a while. Oh yeah, i have 2 black cars.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:45 PM

BMW 5er
well, i meant to say that "strangers" at a dealership or washing business don't care as much as the owner of the car to really get it looking nice. but then again there are some folks that use the rainfall as their wash!!!

there's so much detail when you actually get down and up close...
Old 02-13-2014, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
A while back I used touchless every time for a car I had. After while I noticed steaks down the sides that looked liked the paint was fading. I had them waxed back out and everything was good.

I found out the other day that my local stealership does not give loaner cars out when service work is done and now I find out they do not offer free car washes. I knew I did not like them for some reason. On the other hand, when they do charge you for a car wash, it is a hand wash.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
1992 500E, 1994 E500, 2011 E550 and 2018 GLE350
No car wash system other than me will ever touch my Mercedes. I hand wash them and dry with a blower. I always instruct the dealer NOT to wash my cars. I don't want some minimum wage lacky touching my paint and I damn sure aren't allowing it to be dragged through a bunch of dirty rags and spinning brushes.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 PM

2012 e350
obviously there are those on this forum who care about swirls and those who do not, no point in getting into an argument over that here. but if you use the washes with brushes and mops and think youre not getting swirls, youre wrong.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:01 PM

Touch less are fine but use a very strong coating chemical to break the dirt before the sprays start. This also strips any wax you have on your car. Unwaxed paint can easily get damaged as well.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:13 PM

E 250
Originally Posted by mikeyle
obviously there are those on this forum who care about swirls and those who do not, no point in getting into an argument over that here. but if you use the washes with brushes and mops and think youre not getting swirls, youre wrong.
We're all individuals.

I don't hand wash my car. Just not something I'm interested in doing. I also didn't pay anything extra for "nicer" paint. Basic black was fine for me.

On the other hand, I got all the "cool" tech features. I get enjoyment out of them. Not so much paint.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:48 PM

BMW 5er
Originally Posted by drsaab
Touch less are fine but use a very strong coating chemical to break the dirt before the sprays start. This also strips any wax you have on your car. Unwaxed paint can easily get damaged as well.
i agree. the trick is to make sure you do the wax (or some sort of protectant) application soon after the wash. that way, you're basically "back down to paint" after going through the wash again in a few weeks. although some products should be strong enough to somewhat endure the washing, too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Touchless Car Wash - MB says don't use them