Touchless Car Wash - MB says don't use them

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 5er
Originally Posted by michael61
We're all individuals.

I don't hand wash my car. Just not something I'm interested in doing. I also didn't pay anything extra for "nicer" paint. Basic black was fine for me.

On the other hand, I got all the "cool" tech features. I get enjoyment out of them. Not so much paint.
if my climate were different, and road salts and mud were the norm - i would probably offload the washing duties to a business.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
S213 E450 4Matic, W111 220SE - prior cars: 3x W212, W210 E55 AMG, W202 C43 AMG, W126 300SE
Something I noticed at a few touchless washes is that the soap chemical kind of discolors the black trim around the door windows. If you use a spray detailer or gentle spray wax on this surface, it seems to bring the color back. My local dealer operated soft brush wash doesn't do this.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (09-26-2022)
Old 02-13-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Got any up-close pics of your paint?
There not good enough to upload, too many swirls??

Last edited by mercedes4ever; 02-13-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 PM

Whatever works for you! If you wax / buff your paint regularly it does not matter a great deal IMO.
biker349 (09-26-2022)
Old 02-13-2014, 10:31 PM

What I use in *OZ, combined with hand waxing / machine buffing.

*Splash Car Washes Australia.
Unlike virtually all other car washes in Adelaide, Splash does not use precious drinking water or recycled tap water to wash vehicles. We extract clean water from our on-site bore then further treat it with Reverse Osmosis units & Carbon Filters. This guarantees that only the cleanest, chemical & mineral free water combined with Autoglym biodegradable detergents & non silicone based waxes is used to pamper your vehicles. No corrosive chemicals. No Chlorine. No Salt. No harmful bacteria breeding in recycled water tanks. It’s better for your car, better for the environment & it’s safer for staff & customers alike.
biker349 (09-26-2022)
Old 02-14-2014, 02:53 AM

2012 C250 Sport
They all do it. As long as you have their plate frames. My lexus dealer does it too. And they all use brushes. I have yet to see one that does hand washes.
W.I. Simonson in Santa Monica will do hand washes, if asked.
biker349 (09-26-2022)
Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
I hand wash, weather permitting....and never use brush washes....always touchless..never had an issue...I have c quartz finest protectant....honestly if the car was not black I would use whatever wash was handy
Old 02-14-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Most times I hand wash...
Old 02-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They all do it. As long as you have their plate frames. My lexus dealer does it too. And they all use brushes. I have yet to see one that does hand washes.

Park Place Motorcars and Sewell in Texas both have an expensive car wash system in their dealerships so I heard. I never actually watched my car get washed but I believe it's not by brush. I might have to verify this later on sometime.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 921 Likes on 655 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by mikeyle
obviously there are those on this forum who care about swirls and those who do not, no point in getting into an argument over that here. but if you use the washes with brushes and mops and think youre not getting swirls, youre wrong.
Ok, my comment and question here.
The swirls on the car are like round or orbital "texture" on the paint or the clear coat. How do you think these form?

To my knowledge no automatic car wash with brushes or hanging strips make round or orbital movement on car surface. I don't see how swirl marks would come from the automated car washing machines.

But, I do see how they can happen when hand washing and especially hand waxing and polishing the car as it uses exactly the movement that could produce swirl marks during the process. To not have swirl marks the polishing has to be done so very carefully. I don't have time for this as I wash my car twice a week in summer time. No way in he'll to do it by hand. And the thouchless washes don't do a good job other than if the car has only dry dust on it.

Seems a lot of the members bought the car just to look nice on the drive way. I bought it to drive.
biker349 (09-26-2022)
Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 AM

2012 e350
Originally Posted by Arrie
Ok, my comment and question here.
The swirls on the car are like round or orbital "texture" on the paint or the clear coat. How do you think these form?

To my knowledge no automatic car wash with brushes or hanging strips make round or orbital movement on car surface. I don't see how swirl marks would come from the automated car washing machines.

But, I do see how they can happen when hand washing and especially hand waxing and polishing the car as it uses exactly the movement that could produce swirl marks during the process. To not have swirl marks the polishing has to be done so very carefully. I don't have time for this as I wash my car twice a week in summer time. No way in he'll to do it by hand. And the thouchless washes don't do a good job other than if the car has only dry dust on it.

Seems a lot of the members bought the car just to look nice on the drive way. I bought it to drive.
swirl marks are just a general term to describe the fine scratches on a car. they typically come in a swirl pattern because car wash dryers use dirty rags to dry cars in a circular pattern, and the brushes in some auto car washes also spin in a circular pattern. i hand wash my car, and i use back and forth and up and down motions, i also wash my car about once every 2 weeks in my garage with a waterless wash, takes about 30 mins. i drive my car, and i want it clean when i drive it, going out with a dirty car to me is like going out with a stain on your shirt. i cant really get how youre trying to say swirl marks comes from handwashing a car, and auto washes are the better swirl free alternative, you have it totally backwards. go to autogeek.net and let them know that, theyll think youre an internet troll.
biker349 (09-26-2022)
Old 02-15-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Mercedes-Benz E350 (luxury)
Swirls are almost never in the paint, they are in the clear coat and most aren't actually swirls. They appear that way because that is how the light is reflected. Similar to the circular shapes reflected off or through glass. Waxing can help fill in the micro-abrasions in the clear coat and help prevent further damage to the clear coat. Both brush and high-pressure washes will make the micro-abrasions in the clear coat. I HIGHLY recommend you guard against using a power buffer too often because it can/does remove a very thin layer of the clear coat every time. A micro-fiber cloth or chamois will does less damage than cotton, because cotton is far more fibrous.

How do I know this? I detailed cars for four years (5-10 a week) as I worked my way through college many moons ago. With all that practice, let's just say I got really good at it.
The following 2 users liked this post by joeyza:
biker349 (09-26-2022), pierrejoliat (09-29-2022)
Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by joeyza
Swirls are almost never in the paint, they are in the clear coat and most aren't actually swirls. They appear that way because that is how the light is reflected. Similar to the circular shapes reflected off or through glass. Waxing can help fill in the micro-abrasions in the clear coat and help prevent further damage to the clear coat. Both brush and high-pressure washes will make the micro-abrasions in the clear coat. I HIGHLY recommend you guard against using a power buffer too often because it can/does remove a very thin layer of the clear coat every time. A micro-fiber cloth or chamois will does less damage than cotton, because cotton is far more fibrous.

How do I know this? I detailed cars for four years (5-10 a week) as I worked my way through college many moons ago. With all that practice, let's just say I got really good at it.
This.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally Posted by pmhip
I close the valve to my two exterior hose spouts in late November and they stay off until late March or early April. I could certainly turn them on temporarily when the weather is reasonable, even a little below freezing, to wash my car in the driveway, but I find it a little more convenient to do one of the following during the winter months:

- visit a touchless car wash that ends with a spot free rinse (down the street)
- visit a wash bay that accepts credit cards and bring wheel cleaner, sometimes my own soap and bucket, and my own drying cloth (a couple miles away)

Just curious, who lives in a cooler climate or otherwise has to wash their pride & joy away from the house at times? I find the wash bay convenient. The touchless automatic washes I've been to just don't do nearly enough to really get the salt and grit off the paint; I find myself getting some additional "stuff" off with a microfibre drying towel after the fact. The wash bay ends up being less expensive per wash *and* you can direct high pressure wherever you want using the hose.

As far as traditional car washes, I don't go near them - the used E-class I have seems to have been to one too many, as there's clearly paint swirl on the black paint I need to fix this spring.
My car is 13 years old. first two years I hand washed, then it got to be too much. Since then have used traditional car wash where it goes through on a conveyor. It's the old fashioned kind with attendants and not type where you ride through. I do NOT let the attendants pre-treat it by wiping it down with their brushes. I "pre-treat" it myself. Have no problems with condition of the paint - looks great.
As for touchless, they use very strong chemicals and I would never use one of those for any of my vehicles.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:36 PM

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic
My car is ceramic coated, so it cleans up nicely using a DIY wash bay. I just bring a 1 gallon pump sprayer with my Carpro Reset solution already mixed up, and after spraying off any loose dirt with the high pressure rinse I spray on the Carpro Reset and agitate with a wash mitt, then rinse again and dry. Ends up being a $4 wash compared to the $15+ the automatic washes now cost.

Most of the DIY wash bays have signs posted prohibiting the use of buckets, wash mitts, etc but as long as you go during off-peak times and there isn't a lineup they don't usually care.

The chemicals used in touchless washes are very strong and will strip wax and sealants after a couple of washes. The "pre soak" treatment in most DIY wash bays is probably also something to avoid for the same reason. Those chemicals will even degrade a ceramic coating, or at the very least because they don't actually clean very well you'll end up with a layer of traffic film bonded to the coating, ruining the hydrophobic properties.

Last edited by Andre91; 09-26-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:11 AM

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts
2012 E550 sedan 2019 E63 Wagon
Been using touchless since day one, car looks like new 117k miles. Hand washes monthly, and ceramic coat spray on both touchless and manual washes. Still looks like new. Maybe my special order color is better resisting chemicals.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:08 AM

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
S212 E350 Estate
I've used both and the touchless has been a waste of money. Car is just as dirty afterwards. Never had an issue with the brushes. Only complaint I have is that it sometimes tweaks my license plate since I use a tow hook mount. Otherwise, its cleans the car better than brushless. Im sure there are swirls but it's not a show car and if the paint was immaculate, I'd never want to take it out of the garage.