E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

What premium fuel to use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I have a 2012 ML350 and have maintained a fuelly.com record since the first fill-up, and I have not missed a single one. I usually go three or four fill-ups with 93 octane Chevron and then three or four with 93 octane Conoco (both are Top Tier gas and said to have excellent additive packs). There has been no measurable mileage difference between the two other than driving circumstances (such as long highway trips which always results in a little better mileage). I also notice no difference in performance between these two gasolines.

Since I have owned the ML, I have spent an average of $3.38 per gallon and my average mileage calculated by Fuelly is fairly close to what my in-car reading shows - 21.6 mpg. I have never gone above 23 mpg or below 20 mpg no matter what gasoline I used or what the driving conditions. Texas gas is high but still cheaper than most other states so I always use a Top Tier gasoline rather than try to find the cheapest brand. Having said all this I must add that the few times I filled-up with Sam's Club gas showed no significant difference in mileage or performance from any of the Top Tier. Whether justified or not, Top Tier gas gives me peace of mind in knowing that I am putting in the best gasoline available. I figure that is the least I can do for this beautiful car.