E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

My MercieGirl was rear ended (HARD), my first accident ever, Any Advice???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350C
Originally Posted by BenzV12
Sorry to see that incident , sadly accidents happen on plus side you're OK and walked away unscathed
Me too Thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM

2012 E350C
Originally Posted by joeyza
Spot on. I'm sure the MB body shop will point these issues out, but the off-center hit most like warped the frame. The quarter panel will most likely need to be cut and welded mid-way up the c-pillar for structural repair. There are so many parts that will need to replaced under the bumper, deck lid, truck, exhaust, etc., that it will be difficult to keep track of the list. MAKE sure you push for replacement of ANY part of the car that you even remotely suspect is related to the accident. If the front hood is misaligned, push for replacement. If the back seat looks suspect, push for replacement. Damage to sub-woofer or rear deck speakers? Replace 'em. Any curb rash on the rear rims? Ask for new wheels. From experience (worked in body shop, not accident experience), you have to review every item on the adjuster's list, cross-reference with what the body shop recommends, then push for more.

Best of luck with the repair.
WOW! Thank you for the info. I've taken it to the MB folks and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are doing everything to the top of MB Standards for the repair. Right now I'm close to 13K sounds like by the time they are done it's going to be a lot more.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 PM

2012 E350C
Originally Posted by ImInPA
There is no Frame to warp on a unit body constructed car. While the damage looks bad, it is most likely superficial and will be repaired back to spec. Sorry for your loss though. It always sucks to have to deal with the repair process. I feel your pain.
Yes it sucks big time! Thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 07:34 PM

2012 E350C
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Ouch. That sucks. Have you considered finding or hiring an "independent adjuster" to help you? They might be able to cover their expense and get you more money.
Then I might consider trying to unload it/sale it before Carfax or Autocheck are able to report it. Does anyone know how long it takes to show up on a report?
Good luck.
I think the adjuster I have is pretty good because he's from my insurance company and he knows that the other company has accepted full liability for the accident. I would hope he's not holding back because it's not like they have to pay them in the end.

Someone at work was telling me the same thing about offloading it before it hit carfax. But I figured that would show up pretty quick.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 PM

2012 E350C
Originally Posted by thefisch
Out of curiosity, did the neck pro restraints pop up/forward? Did that help?
Funny you should ask...yes they did! Those things are AWESOME never had them before. My infiniti QX was nice but it never had those! No whiplash but plenty of lower back pain. The guy hit me pretty good. I was at a standstill and he had to be going a good 30mph.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Current: 2019 M5 Donnington Gray, 2021 GLE53 Diamond White Met. Previous: 2010 C63, 2012 E550 Coupe
Don't just assume that back pain will go away. You should go to a Doc and get it checked out. Your insurance company should probably have asked you about that too.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 PM

2012 E350C
Originally Posted by Cavu
Don't just assume that back pain will go away. You should go to a Doc and get it checked out. Your insurance company should probably have asked you about that too.
No, I won't. I'm actually going to the doctor this week. I have a feeling this will linger for a while. A friend keeps urging me to get a lawyer. I really don't want to.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by PurpleITGyrl
No, I won't. I'm actually going to the doctor this week. I have a feeling this will linger for a while. A friend keeps urging me to get a lawyer. I really don't want to.
A word of advise. Get a lawyer. It will be the best thing you did after the accident. Been on 3 consecutive accidents (not my fault) and the injuries I sustained, thank god not major, is enough to make my life miserable. You will be compensated for those accident related injury and if you don't have a lawyer and tell the insurance company about your injury you won't get the right compensation as they will low-ball you.

I will guess the damage on your car is on the $18k mark.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have REAL injuries you should get the max. My wife totalled a lexus turning left and the other party claimed injury and our insurance paid our max $100k from our policy. He had previous back pull from lifting a dog years ago. It is crazy what they can find out if needed. They also said if we had $250k coverage they would have paid that. Normally ppl dont sue above your insurance limits unless really serious cause there is little chance of actually collecting the money.

It was strange.. they asked for my financial records to review in exchange for a "possible" settlement. No financial records, then automatic lawsuit. I am sure if they saw more money to be had, they would have went after that.

When you drive a lux car, you are more likely to get sued since the other party assumes there is money there to be had
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by PurpleITGyrl
I think the adjuster I have is pretty good because he's from my insurance company and he knows that the other company has accepted full liability for the accident. I would hope he's not holding back because it's not like they have to pay them in the end.

Someone at work was telling me the same thing about offloading it before it hit carfax. But I figured that would show up pretty quick.
Just a silly question here: If the other party is in fault why are you dealing with your own insurance company adjuster? It should be the other party insurance adjuster to deal with.
Is the party in fault also insured by the same insurance company you have? If so, get a lawyer as quickly as you can!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM

2012 E350C
Originally Posted by drsaab
If you have REAL injuries you should get the max. My wife totalled a lexus turning left and the other party claimed injury and our insurance paid our max $100k from our policy. He had previous back pull from lifting a dog years ago. It is crazy what they can find out if needed. They also said if we had $250k coverage they would have paid that. Normally ppl dont sue above your insurance limits unless really serious cause there is little chance of actually collecting the money.

It was strange.. they asked for my financial records to review in exchange for a "possible" settlement. No financial records, then automatic lawsuit. I am sure if they saw more money to be had, they would have went after that.

When you drive a lux car, you are more likely to get sued since the other party assumes there is money there to be had
Wow...seriously??? That's nuts! Sorry to hear that. I honestly just want to make sure my car's diminished value and to deal with my PT. You guys have really given me some good info.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 PM

2012 E350C
Originally Posted by Arrie
Just a silly question here: If the other party is in fault why are you dealing with your own insurance company adjuster? It should be the other party insurance adjuster to deal with.
Is the party in fault also insured by the same insurance company you have? If so, get a lawyer as quickly as you can!
No silly question! As the subject stated...First accident...a lot of this stuff I didn't know. My insurance will be recouping the entire cost from the liable party. They've already called and said they were accepting full liability. But because I was in shock...my first accident...and I wanted to get the process started without hesitation I called my own.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Better to get a lawyer when injuries are involved. Try to do it before making any statements about accident to at-fault insurance company. Forgot to ask - did the police cite the other driver?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 PM

2012 E350C
Originally Posted by thefisch
Better to get a lawyer when injuries are involved. Try to do it before making any statements about accident to at-fault insurance company. Forgot to ask - did the police cite the other driver?
Yup police did site the other driver as being at fault!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
In a property damage only accident in which my car was damaged (no personal injury issues) I had the adjuster for the striking vehicle pay for a better rental car. I explained to him what I drove and why. That doesn't mean you will get another MB to use but it is a valid talking point. I was dealing with the other party's adjuster in this incident.

Your repaired car will have diminished value as others have pointed out. Your CARFAX will show the repaired damage and for a trade in an MB dealer may not be able to certify it. I just traded an MB and that is something they look for, a clean CARFAX.

General accident advice to all. Even though the police officer did not witness the accident and there are no independent witnesses, just a one on one between drivers, insurance adjusters need something to hang their hat on and that is a drawing by the police officer as part of his report. In some locales police officers do not do drawings unless there are injuries or perceived major damage. Especially if you are the innocent party ask nicely if they would do a drawing.

Good luck. I'm sorry to hear about it. I know the sick feeling when it happens.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
I'm glad you're ok and the car did what it's supposed to do.
It took a heck of a whack and deformed the way it's supposed to.
I would not be surprised if the insurance company doesn't just retire your car and cut you a check. Especially since this is a case of simple subrogation i.e. they just bill the other company.
I would start with the position of " when are you totaling it?"
Old 04-17-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
"It was strange.. they asked for my financial records to review in exchange for a "possible" settlement. No financial records, then automatic lawsuit. I am sure if they saw more money to be had, they would have went after that. "

Just proves to show that Lawyers are the scum of the earth. Sorry in advance for offending anyone.

Purple, if you are thinking about involving a lawyer, stop posting ANYTHING about your accident on this forum or on any other social media asap.-Just my .02 cents
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 PM

2012 E350C
Originally Posted by RSIKR
In a property damage only accident in which my car was damaged (no personal injury issues) I had the adjuster for the striking vehicle pay for a better rental car. I explained to him what I drove and why. That doesn't mean you will get another MB to use but it is a valid talking point. I was dealing with the other party's adjuster in this incident.

Your repaired car will have diminished value as others have pointed out. Your CARFAX will show the repaired damage and for a trade in an MB dealer may not be able to certify it. I just traded an MB and that is something they look for, a clean CARFAX.

General accident advice to all. Even though the police officer did not witness the accident and there are no independent witnesses, just a one on one between drivers, insurance adjusters need something to hang their hat on and that is a drawing by the police officer as part of his report. In some locales police officers do not do drawings unless there are injuries or perceived major damage. Especially if you are the innocent party ask nicely if they would do a drawing.

Good luck. I'm sorry to hear about it. I know the sick feeling when it happens.
Good Info...Thank you!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:08 PM

2012 E350C
Originally Posted by boltonblue
I'm glad you're ok and the car did what it's supposed to do.
It took a heck of a whack and deformed the way it's supposed to.
I would not be surprised if the insurance company doesn't just retire your car and cut you a check. Especially since this is a case of simple subrogation i.e. they just bill the other company.
I would start with the position of " when are you totaling it?"
Yes it did, as of now they aren't saying anything about totaling. But I am going to inquire.