E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

e350 bluetec diesel and additives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 e350 bluetec
e350 bluetec diesel and additives

Hi all in the MB world! I'm a new member. We are the proud owners of an e350 bluetec diesel with 30K miles. So far i'm so in love with this car. It's also my first MB.

So i have a question about using Stanadyne diesel additive. I've searched multiple times on the web trying to find if this is approved/recommended or not. I have an 81 vw diesel pickup that I use it in and i'm impressed with it's lubricity and performance. I also have a big jug of it, so i figure I should/could use it on my e350 as well.

Does anyone have any input on this? Would really appreciate any thoughts...

Jason
Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
I believe mercedes (like most manufacturers) recommends that you use no additives of any sort....it's in the manuals. Of course you will find dealers who recommend additives and every additive manufacturer will tell you that you should use their additive for fantastic results and have as many war stories and tests as you want to read.

It's your choice. I've always gone with the car manufacturer's recommendations...
Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 PM

E350 Bluetec
Done some minor research on this topic, but not that particular additive. Somewhere there is presentation by Bosch engineers on additives for diesel. If memory serves, they can have benefits, especially where quality control of fuel is a problem - generally not the US though. MB says to "Use at your own risk"/ (http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_119_0.pdf).

Also, pretty sure more lubricity is not always good. In fact it can actually be bad for certain parts of the motor and fuel system. That said, Power Service in the gray bottle seemed to have the closest to ideal level of lubricity. Speak to guys who run Sprinter vans, many of them are using an additive of some kind. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I use Power Service Diesel boost (gray bottle not white). I notice a difference in mpg and smoothness at idle with PS. I have used it in every diesel I have owned for the past 20 years. Great product!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:07 AM

14 GLK 250 BT
MB is not the only one to NOT recommend diesel fuel additives, VW being another.

I would recommend no, unless you have some underlying issues, I/we can't know/see or anticipate.

I have used it for any number of miles (100,000 miles of 310,000 miles) and years and frankly can tell no noticeable differences in any of the benefits advertised. In 20/20 hind sight, it is more like throwing salt over one's shoulder for good luck. AKA I have had good luck, but it is really because I "threw salt over my shoulder?"
Old 05-12-2014, 01:46 PM

2012 e350 bluetec
Thanks all. I'm new to the forum and only got one email about this thread and didn't realize there were several posts.

I think it's a good point to not throw something at it unless there's a real issue. I just re-read a bit about using Stanadyne and it said before either 86 or 96' (can't remember which) the engines were not designed for low sulphur diesel like we have now so the additive helped that.

Seems like there's no need. I'll look at the Power Service Diesel boost stuff just to know what's out there.

I love this car. I just want to have it last as long as possible!
Old 04-17-2021, 09:41 PM

1985 w123
Additive for the Mercedes Diesel

Originally Posted by olbedhead
Hi all in the MB world! I'm a new member. We are the proud owners of an e350 bluetec diesel with 30K miles. So far i'm so in love with this car. It's also my first MB.

So i have a question about using Stanadyne diesel additive. I've searched multiple times on the web trying to find if this is approved/recommended or not. I have an 81 vw diesel pickup that I use it in and i'm impressed with it's lubricity and performance. I also have a big jug of it, so i figure I should/could use it on my e350 as well.

Does anyone have any input on this? Would really appreciate any thoughts...

Jason
Gutan Tag !
I have always used a pint of transmission fluid with each full tank of diesel to maintain the injectors lubricated and piston head clean.
be sure to change often the fuel filters and accumulator, thus ensuring a long diesel motor life.
I absolutely am sound on the Mercedes-Benz diesels, especially the w123/c123 body style !
I have owned also, the petrol models, but as far as the best, the diesel that Mercedes puts forth for motor cars are the best, along with the commercial large trucks and buses.

God bless !