E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Maintenance interval - your experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Maintenance interval - your experience?

I've prepaid for 3, 10k services and am due shortly for my first one. I am thinking of stretching the intervals to 15k though. I do a lot of highway driving and rack up the miles pretty quickly.

While I realize opinions vary I was wondering what everyone's experience is in terms of regular services. Are they really necessary? MB has a terrific reputation for reliability and I have to say I see a lot of MB providing faithful service in many countries that barely have paved roads in some very tough climates. I find it hard to believe that these cars are being serviced regularly.

I previously owned a LS430 (for 12 years) and other than changing the timing belt at 90k miles, simply did oil/filter changes and tire replacements once a year or so. I just sold the car with over 230K miles and it was still going strong. Did I just get lucky or should I expect the same reliability, if not more, out of my E350?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I think many would agree that they are basically glorified oil changes. That said, 15k is a lot to ask of oil IMO. However, the intervals are required if you want them to honor your warranty. After that, you can follow your own intervals.

Out of curiosity, based on your past maintenance experience, why did you bother buying prepaid maintenance?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:45 PM

E350
Originally Posted by thefisch
I think many would agree that they are basically glorified oil changes. That said, 15k is a lot to ask of oil IMO. However, the intervals are required if you want them to honor your warranty. After that, you can follow your own intervals.

Out of curiosity, based on your past maintenance experience, why did you bother buying prepaid maintenance?
Thanks - I didn't realize that the intervals were required for the warranty.

WRT your question on why I purchased the prepaid maintenance - I'm still questioning that decision myself . In the end though, I was uncertain about how "finicky" the MB would be without the maintenance and after much deliberation/negotiation the dealership gave me a deal that was hard to pass up.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I doubt it would matter for all claims, but certainly to those components related to maintenance items like the engine and transmission.

Don't fret if you got a good deal. Just be sure to use it. Those things are use or lose. If you still want to push it, I would ask a service advisor how long you can wait past the interval before you bring it in and still use the prepaid.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:08 PM

2011 E550
I would make sure you have documented maintenance as many people verify that on resale and it could impact your value. You are really saving much money and as an earlier poster said you already paid for them so you might as well use them.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
MB actually has a very mediocre reputation for reliability. And when something goes wrong, it will be very, very costly.
I purchased pre-paid maintenance back in 2010 just to "lock in" the prices and maybe save a coupld of bucks.
Following the manufacturer's required maintenance schedule during warranty period is good insurance in case a problem does develop.