E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Limits of Disctronic Plus i.e. Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 350
*sigh bangs head* and with respect that is what -I-am and have been asking: namely that it CAN be reset at a low speed (less than 20 mind) after you chose to hit brake. This is why it's so hard for me to get answer, with great respect: no one actually answers precise query i'm asking. I've taken two LONG tests but only had information on limits after first drive and then while I could get it to drive in scc on second, there was no handy traffic jam to FULLY test stop and go and didn't think of having a second car help with test till after that. no salesperson really knows tech in my experience, got person who fully preps car to help me and I STILL was going further down in manual than he knew.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by allisondbl
*sigh bangs head* and with respect that is what -I-am and have been asking: namely that it CAN be reset at a low speed (less than 20 mind) after you chose to hit brake. This is why it's so hard for me to get answer, with great respect: no one actually answers precise query i'm asking. I've taken two LONG tests but only had information on limits after first drive and then while I could get it to drive in scc on second, there was no handy traffic jam to FULLY test stop and go and didn't think of having a second car help with test till after that. no salesperson really knows tech in my experience, got person who fully preps car to help me and I STILL was going further down in manual than he knew.
I think all of your questions have been answered in the posts but to summarize:

Distronic has kind of two cruise control systems built in to it. The first one is when it works like in any car just keeping your speed at the set point. This works when you drive with nobody else in front of you in the radar range, i.e. without a car in front of you the radar has no target to follow so the system takes no action and keeps the set speed. If you come to a stop during this you CANNOT reset the Distronic, i.e. YOU MUST have a car in front of you to be able to set Distronic below 20 mph speed.

The second mode then is when you have a car in front of you in the radar range. When you set your speed higher than the car you approach the system will slow you down and follow the car in front of you with the distance that equals to about two seconds in time as a minimum and then you can add to it a little bit with the adjustment in the end of the stalk.

The Distronic will stop you behind the car in front of you if the stopping is not too fast. Someone in this forum wrote that the maximum deceleration from the system is 0.5 g. If the stopping takes more than that much deceleration you will get the warning beeps and you should brake using your foot.

The system does not stop behind stationary objects meaning if you come behind a car that has stopped before the radar saw it moving the system does not think it is a vehicle. Distronic system will apply 40% braking force about 1.5 seconds before the impact but the impact definitely will happen if you don't press on the brake pedal.

In the stop-and-go traffic this system is at its best. It will stop behind the car in front of you and automatically start following it again if the stop is less than 3 seconds. Longer full stop than this means you need to either slightly press the gas pedal or pull on the Distronic control stalk to activate the system so the car starts moving again. You can do this reactivation from the stalk or gas pedal as many times as you need.

It very often happens that you will have to use the brakes meaning the Distronic is deactivated but you can reactivate it when you come to full stop behind the car with your foot still on the brake pedal. Or you can let your foot off the pedal and let the car still roll slowly and activate Distronic by pulling the stalk. The system will then stop the car behind the one in front unless you activate the system in too fast speed and short distance.

Last edited by Arrie; 08-03-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM

2014 E350 Sport
I use mine alot and it is a little unnerving at the beginning of stop and go where you are doing 65 and then traffic slows and stops. The problem is you can see the traffic up ahead stopped but the E350 is only using the car in front and if the guy in front likes to brake heavy at the end then the E350 will do the same. Once you get into the traffic it is very good.

For the steering it will steer itself for like 5 seconds and then gives you a warning beep and then disengages the Active Steering making you put your hands on the wheel. Also their is a steering wheel icon and when green, the cameras can see the lines and will help steer as long as it is pretty straight. When it goes red cannot see the lines and will not steer.

Also for me I find myself fighting the steering at higher speeds but not during stop and go traffic.

The Hyundai video states they disable the Steering so it wouldn't turn off. I wonder if that is a user enabled option or if it works the same as the E350?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:11 AM

2014 MB E350 4Matic Sport
Excellent explanation Arrie. I was going to explain it as well, but I think you've covered all the bases.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Patriot631
Excellent explanation Arrie. I was going to explain it as well, but I think you've covered all the bases.
Thank you for your kind comment.