E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New Merc owner, first timer!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 08:46 PM
SPONSOR

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
C190 GT C
Welcome to the boards. Post up some pictures of her! Any plans for mods?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
OK, this has gone on long enough without pics ... sorry about that. It won't happen again.

"There are many others like it, but this one is mine."

Enjoy and happy to be here.

New Merc owner, first timer!-znp2bkxl.jpg

New Merc owner, first timer!-oueqgsdl.jpg

New Merc owner, first timer!-drchrfvl.jpg

P.S. Did I mention it's fast?! I'm absolutely lovin' it.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 10-14-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 PM

W212 E550 4M P2
Anyone else kinda disappointed with the factory carpeted mats? They're borderline threadbare.

Are the Designo carpeted mats any better? [Edit - Looks like Designo are leather trimmed and hella expensive, so that's out ... what about something plush from the factory or a solid 3rd party?!]

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 10-14-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E550 (RIP), 2014 CLS 550C4
Nice, stately looking 550, JR, and the sport package gives it just a little bit of an edge.

Mine has the carpeted mats. Though they seem a little flimsy mine don't seem threadbare at all.

Yeah, they are pleasingly quick and fast.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
We are disappointed not only with the carpet mats but with the all weather rubber mats as well. The fronts ones are okay but the rear ones are too small to be functional. This is one thing MB didn't get right and so far there aren't any acceptable 3rd party ones either. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:17 PM

W212 E550 4M P2
Come to think of it, the rear all weather mats are teeny tiny. I don't get many rear seat passengers so whatever. I went looking online for high quality, plush carpeted mats and came up empty-handed. Sounds like I had the same result as you.

> > > > > > > >

After two weeks, here's my early impressions (and I won't bother with the "it's fast" broken record thing):

+ Keyless Go is awesome. My first time going keyless. Feels so good. I have to lay down now.
+ Hold brake feature is cool, too. Wish it would turn off if you pumped the brake pedal again.
+ Multifunction display inside the speedo is a fun novelty. Glad it's semi high-res.
+ For a sport susp, it's awfully smooth and compliant. (My benchmark is the CTS-V's trick MR susp.)

- For a sport susp, it's awfully soft. Since it rides so nicely, I'll give it a break - but, not a pass.
- 7G tranny is a buzz kill with the steering wheel flappy paddles. Shifts are slower than cold tar in the winter. This is my major disappointment, but I'm happy with the tranny in auto.
- Surprisingly little to no compression braking from the tranny unless it's in 2nd spinning near 4-5K.
- No pause / stop button for audio. I have to turn off the entire Command system - WTF?!

* TBD on the front bumper / airdam's height (or lack thereof). I'm all sorts of worried about damaging it. Is it livable or do I need to be careful?
* TBD on the value of the ventilated seats until summer. I expected more to be honest. Same goes for the rear sunshade.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 10-15-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Yes

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Anyone else kinda disappointed with the factory carpeted mats? They're borderline threadbare.

Are the Designo carpeted mats any better? [Edit - Looks like Designo are leather trimmed and hella expensive, so that's out ... what about something plush from the factory or a solid 3rd party?!]
My carpeting has lasted well, but it does not seem to be as "luxurious" as it should be. In fact, I think the floor carpeting is kind of thin as well.
Could try Auto Anything for replacement mats. They have a good selection and are custom cut for most all cars. Only downside is that MB will not let them use their name or logo on them.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:46 AM

I think Hold does disengage with another press of the pedal, but since the brake system is already pressurized it take a harder press to disengage than to engage.

Agreed, I'd like the ride in sport mode to be firmer. My '05 E500 had 3 shock settings; mushy, mushy-er, and why bother, so for me this car is an improvement over the previous.

Trans is a mood hassle when you want to hammer the car. Is fine all the rest of the time. I do wish it would default to sport upon start up instead of economy.

Yes, be careful of the front air dam, especially if your car has Airmatic. BTDT, but no damage.

My short experience with the vented seats is this: if the vent setting has cold air from the AC being sent into the footwells (and I think the outlets below the front seats) the seat fans will pick up that cold air. If the vents are set higher, well, you know. Nevertheless, they are a rather ho hum implementation of a good idea.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
I think Hold does disengage with another press of the pedal, but since the brake system is already pressurized it take a harder press to disengage than to engage.
I have found that a quick tap works well rather than a hard press (for both engaging and disengaging). I believe there's another thread where this was discussed extensively.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by pamiboy
I have found that a quick tap works well rather than a hard press (for both engaging and disengaging). I believe there's another thread where this was discussed extensively.
It was.

I've been driving a MY15 C300 as a loaner for the last few days. What I've determined is that engaging/disengaging HOLD probably varies a bit from car to car, some being more sensitive than others. HOLD engages a bit easier on this loaner.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 PM

W212 E550 4M P2
Thanks for the "search" reminder on HOLD. Now I know how to disengage it with the brake pedal. Like SS3964spd wrote above, our E may require a bit more pressure on the brake pedal to disengage than the '15 C300 Sport 4Matic loaner I had earlier this week.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...esomeness.html
Old 10-17-2014, 05:55 PM

W212 E550 4M P2
Unfortunately, I've already had to visit Merc Service. Stuff happens, but I'm disappointed it happened so soon on my CPO car. The Service Team treated me well, so I'm happy (relieved) plus I drove their '15 C300 4Matic Sport loaner over the weekend.

1. My right rear taillight (or maybe just brake light in it) lost its mind a wee bit. My speedo told me it was out, then it'd work, then not and so on. The onboard computer logged faults, so Service replaced the entire thing. Seems individual LEDs aren't replaced - yikes! Works great now.

2. Pano roof intermittently wouldn't close all the way. It'd get within a few inches of closing and then re-open slightly. It also started making a single loud pop when I'd drive slowly through an uneven gutter or driveway. Service pulled the headliner and allegedly tightened some bolts, cleaned and lubed the track. Advisor thought there might be a sensitivity adjustment on the anti-pinch feature, too. It worked when I picked it up, but then failed later in the day once only to work great >10x since. I'm watching it.

3. I'm anxiously awaiting Monday's release of Apple's ios8.1 update. It's supposed to fix their buggy bluetooth pairing among other things less important to this forum. I don't remember Apple ever having this much difficulty getting basic stuff right. I'm up to here with Apple...

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/01/...tivity-issues/

>>>>>>>>>

The '15 C300 4Matic Sport loaner was a nice car; however, the sticker was a healthy $50.5K with no navi, leather, vented seats, lighting pkg, memory pass seat or rear / side sunshades. Imagine my surprise on the hwy when I thought I had a big 6, but instead had a turbo 4. Ha! I'm brand new to Merc, so cut me some slack.

+ Responsive flappy paddles - fun
+ Envious of "pause" button for music - where's mine?!
+ Envious of blind spot in the side mirrors
+ Envious of folding side mirrors, too
+ Envious of the Burmeister metal speaker covers - I'm no audiophile, but this $2.1K stereo sounded like my HK

+ / - Sport susp was nicely taut, but it ran out of travel frequently
+ / - HUD was a $1K novelty that would benefit from more than just showing mph; it hurt my eyes and made them cross-eyed ... weird

- ECO start / stop was poorly executed with the motor rumbling back to life whereas the '14 E550 was imperceptible
Old 10-17-2014, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 842 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Unfortunately, I've already had to visit Merc Service. Stuff happens, but I'm disappointed it happened so soon on my CPO car. The Service Team treated me well, so I'm happy (relieved) plus I drove their '15 C300 4Matic Sport loaner over the weekend.

1. My right rear taillight (or maybe just brake light in it) lost its mind a wee bit. My speedo told me it was out, then it'd work, then not and so on. The onboard computer logged faults, so Service replaced the entire thing. Seems individual LEDs aren't replaced - yikes! Works great now.

2. Pano roof intermittently wouldn't close all the way. It'd get within a few inches of closing and then re-open slightly. It also started making a single loud pop when I'd drive slowly through an uneven gutter or driveway. Service pulled the headliner and allegedly tightened some bolts, cleaned and lubed the track. Advisor thought there might be a sensitivity adjustment on the anti-pinch feature, too. It worked when I picked it up, but then failed later in the day once only to work great >10x since. I'm watching it.

3. I'm anxiously awaiting Monday's release of Apple's ios8.1 update. It's supposed to fix their buggy bluetooth pairing among other things less important to this forum. I don't remember Apple ever having this much difficulty getting basic stuff right. I'm up to here with Apple...

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/01/...tivity-issues/

>>>>>>>>>

The '15 C300 4Matic Sport loaner was a nice car; however, the sticker was a healthy $50.5K with no navi, leather, vented seats, lighting pkg, memory pass seat or rear / side sunshades. Imagine my surprise on the hwy when I thought I had a big 6, but instead had a turbo 4. Ha! I'm brand new to Merc, so cut me some slack.

+ Responsive flappy paddles - fun
+ Envious of "pause" button for music - where's mine?!
+ Envious of blind spot in the side mirrors
+ Envious of folding side mirrors, too
+ Envious of the Burmeister metal speaker covers - I'm no audiophile, but this $2.1K stereo sounded like my HK

+ / - Sport susp was nicely taut, but it ran out of travel frequently
+ / - HUD was a $1K novelty that would benefit from more than just showing mph; it hurt my eyes and made them cross-eyed ... weird

- ECO start / stop was poorly executed with the motor rumbling back to life whereas the '14 E550 was

1. A light acting what you explain most likely is an issue of loose/flaky connection. This can be inside the light assembly or simply in the wire harness. This can happen on a brand new car never showing up during testing at the factory. Not much to worry about but if it repeats then be sure to claim it even if outside the CPO warranty as obviously they did not get it fixed by changing the light assy.

2. Popping noise from the sunroof area is a known problem. I had it and the sound happened when I drove over a curb or anything that put twist on the car body. The dealer serviced it and no single pop since then about 1 1/2 years ago. I think you can relax on this one.

The issue with the moon roof not closing i have not experienced but If it backs open at closing try to see if it happens when the moving glass frame hits the arm of the fabric that pops up when the moon roof opens. The problem could be a too strong spring under the arm or not enough lubrication between the arm and the frame of the glass.

Last edited by Arrie; 10-17-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:53 PM

W212 E550 4M P2
Thanks, Arrie.

Yup, I read about the popping roof but couldn't remember where ... somewhere here I'm sure. It's been nearly a week and all is well up there (outside of the one snafu).

As for the lights, the intermittent nature was frustrating. When Service replaced the entire thing instead of replacing individual bulb(s), I realized I wasn't in Kansas anymore with old skool bulbs from AutoZone.

...looking forward to washing the new car again tomorrow. Big Sat for me!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:23 AM

W212 E550 4M P2
What is this hooky doodad? What do I hook here?! Thanks

New Merc owner, first timer!-ub9gmmel.jpg
Old 10-24-2014, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
sexy E Class
Old 10-24-2014, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 842 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
What is this hooky doodad? What do I hook here?! Thanks

Your coat.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Welcome
Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
- No pause / stop button for audio. I have to turn off the entire Command system - WTF?!
Just press your mute button. Shuts music off and everything but the radio will come back on at the same spot when you un-mute. (Well, maybe not Bluetooth streaming, I haven't tried that)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:04 AM

W212 E550 4M P2
Boom and boom: double knowledge bombs.

I suppose hanging a wet or snowy coat might be handier than laying it on a seat, but the best part was learning about mute err pause err mute-pause.

Giant thanks, team!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC

I suppose hanging a wet or snowy coat might be handier than laying it on a seat, but the best part was learning about mute err pause err mute-pause.

Giant thanks, team!
Congrats on your car, fantastic. The Tri-star hood ornament is classic, and I believe this is the last year for them...too bad.

I tell everyone who will listen, and most that wont, that the E350 is the perfect car. Size, appearance, interior quality, fuel economy...I actually like the flappy paddles because I think the S mode shifts way to low in the rev range.
I have the 550 in the ML, love the power. For mats, simply get the weathertec all season mats, better than the MB, and cheaper. the catch everything during winter/wet weather.
Good luck...no cpo is perfect, keep your service dept on it's toes.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e550

Giant thanks, team!
I too struggled with the mute and off being one in the same. Real nice clean looking ride, the E 550 is a terrific highway automobile.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:19 PM

W212 E550 4M P2
Now that winter is all but over, I just wanted to say my 4Matic was an absolute trooper in the white stuff. I had zero issues with even 1/2 worn P-Zero all seasons. I'm not going for a set of snows and summers - just a new set of all seasons.

With spring arriving, it's time for me to get off the pot and make a final decision on debadging or not. I'm sorely tempted to go with "biturbo" on the quarter panels in place of the unquestionably silly "Blue Efficiency" badging. However, I'm of the mind to stay the course and go nude on the trunk and quarters - only leaving the star on the trunk.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 04-17-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:46 AM

W212 E550 4M P2
Ugh, I'm headed to the stealer this coming week...

I drove my car on Thursday after returning home from an extended business trip. Everything was grand. As I jumped in the next day to drive to work, the navi screen booted up with a "theft protection" message on the screen instructing me "visit the dealership." No radio, navi, etc - but, it drove fine which I thought odd being a supposed theft situation. Guess thieves can't listen to the radio if they steal my car.

I turned the car on and off to no avail. Locking and unlocking the car with the fob standing next to it also didn't eliminate the msg so I rang the stealer who thought the car (Keyless Go) needed to be re-synced to my key(s). I asked about starting the car with the key rather than keyless, but they said it wouldn't solve it.

After work, wouldn't you know the damn thing seemed to work fine. The radio came on and all of the audio modes worked. Same with the navi. I thought the phone worked fine, but it froze up when a second call came in while I was Already on the line with someone else. Then my car seemed to kick my iPhone5 from BT, but quickly reconnected.

This prompted a second call to the stealer who said the Command module is inter-related to the BT. They weren't all that surprised, but suggested I could either "wait and see" or come in as planned. I'm going in.

Worth mentioning, I think, is that I haven't changed my Keyless Go battery. I bought my car in the fall, so it's been about 7 months minimum since it would've been changed. I understand that a low battery might cause the original "theft" pseudo false alarm, but not the BT snafu.

So, what says the Merc hive? Do you need more background to lend a potential diagnosis?

Thanks

<><><><><><><><><><>

Not sure you all know about it, but there's this weird thing called "search" on our forum. I tried it and guess what, it's a mind reader. What a wonderful thing.

Woot! Woot! My issue can apparently be resolved with a TSB ... LI82.85-P-058185 DEC13 – 166, 204 & 212 with engine OM651 intermittently COMAND display may show fault message “Anti-theft protection activated” cause, disrupted CAN communication.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...acting-up.html

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 04-25-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:07 AM

W212 E550 4M P2
Ugh, I'm headed to the stealer this coming week... "theft protection" message on the screen instructing me "visit the dealership."

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...acting-up.html
My stealer got me all sorted with a Command software update under warranty last week. They apparently found "current and stored faults in Command for comm with central gateway and instru cluster." For what it's worth, no TSB was noted in my paperwork.

The new C300 4Matic was loaner... um, nevermind.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Merc owner, first timer!