E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Panorama sunroof...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2014 | 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Panorama sunroof...

I can order a 2015 E350 4Matic and get it in a few months. Today the option came up to get a car shipped from another dealer with the same options I would order, except it has the Panorama sunroof. I'm not against that option but probably passed on it when ordering (for no really obvious reason other than I didn't think I would care one way or the other and it is a rather expensive option just to get a sunroof). Having a car sooner has some benefits for me. So my questions for those that have this option:

- Are you glad you got the Panorama sunroof and if you had it to do over again, would you get it?

- Is the screen sufficient to block sunlight enough when you need? (I live in New England so boiling weather doesn't happen so often).

- Is it really as noisy as some posts I read when I searched indicated? (These are noises that might cop up later but these posts were a few years old already).

- How does it look on Paladium if anyone has seen it?

Any other comments about the Panorama sunroof?
Old 10-29-2014 | 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Pano roof option

IMO, it's a great feature: it lets in more day light. In hotter weather, the rolling shade will block out light and heat. I wouldn't buy an E Class without the pano roof.

The black glass pano also looks really good with any of the lighter body colours, including Palladium. Probably looks best with Polar white or Iridium silver.

As for 'noise', there have been no creaks or rattles coming from my car's pano roof.

By the way, for my 2013 E350BT, the panorama roof was a bargain option @ $300 ! How does MBUSA justify a much higher price for US production ?

Last edited by DerekACS; 10-29-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2014 | 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 AMG EQS
I will not buy another MB without Pano roof because that is one of the very few luxuries that rear seat passengers will get in any US spec Mercedes other than the S class.

My kids appreciate it and so do rear seat passengers.
Old 10-29-2014 | 10:43 PM

'11 E550 Cpe/'04 GT3
Ditto on two prior posts - love mine and no rattle issues at all.
Old 10-29-2014 | 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I will not buy another MB without Pano roof because that is one of the very few luxuries that rear seat passengers will get in any US spec Mercedes other than the S class.

My kids appreciate it and so do rear seat passengers.
I was considering special order rear heated seats but that is $250 for special order on top of $625 (opt. 872) for the option. I guess I don't care so much about my passenger's 'rear ends' to go for that.
Old 10-29-2014 | 11:13 PM

W212 E550 4M P2
Get both! More seriously, tell your dealer you'll take that car but you're not paying for the pano roof. Doubt they'll go for that, but maybe you'll settle somewhere in between.

I like the idea of rear heated seats. It'd get used every time you had passengers in cooler / cold weather. I think it'd be a wow for black-seaters, too.

As for the pano roof, I like it mainly because it's novel but wouldn't pay more for it. A sunroof is nearly mandatory in my book, but this is my first dual pano roof and I'm not sure it's much better than a single pane. While it lets in more light when open (the screen seems to block enough well when closed), I generally prefer a darker driving environ.
Old 10-30-2014 | 06:25 AM

Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
When I bought my car I had to take one on the lot and it was optioned with the panoramic sun roof and black headliner. I would not have ordered it with the sun roof myself but I love it. No rattles or anything and it looks great.
Old 10-30-2014 | 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
I have pano roof and very happy with it . I must admit I had some concerns prior to buying a car with that accessory as well . However, I am very satisfied with pano roof
  • In scorching hot summer days, I find interior not as hot as other cars with black leather seats with plain flat roof .
  • There is a shade that comes with the pano too . You can extend it but I keep it folded in always .
  • No rattles at all
  • Yes, in light color cars pano roof's dark glass makes a dramatic effect and it looks cooler over black cars because in black car everything looks just as same
Palladium is a great color but Iridium makes pano roof more attractive because of it's lightness .Palladium has more hue deep color shade
Old 10-30-2014 | 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Thanks for all the comments. Now I just need to decide what to do. I'll probably end up forgetting the car with Pano (since it has two other options I would not order anyway, comfort box and 115V outlet) and just proceed with my current order slotted for mid-Dec build, without Pano but adding rear heated seats special option.

Last edited by noka; 10-30-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2014 | 09:20 AM

2011 E550 (RIP), 2014 CLS 550C4
Can't go wrong with your choice, Noka.

I also fall into the take it or leave it camp regarding the pano roof. It just so happens that my '11 E came with it. No rattles, yet, and the motorized dual sun shades do a reasonable job of not allowing the sun to heat up the interior. I do like that it allow more light into the car.
Old 10-30-2014 | 10:45 AM

e550
I have a paladium siver with pano roof, i like it. With the back interior the shade works well.One BIG benefit of the glass roof is you do not have to wax it. If lets in just enough light to cheer things up. No noise on my unit. The black with silver looks good.
Try to buy a existing car if you can, drive it over rough pavement and potholes with the windows up and the stereo and climate control fans off. Do not believe anything you hear about fixing rattles under the dash. Check out seat comfort and smooth gear changes. When you special order it is harder to walk away. You should be able to make a better deal on a existing car at the end of the month. Why not drive to the other dealer and left them compete for your business. They may be owned by the same parent company though.
Old 10-30-2014 | 10:55 AM

17' C43 Sedan
My dad has a pano in his 14' E550 and i'm so jealous of it. Looks great and too me is like one of the best options.
Old 10-30-2014 | 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
I have a paladium siver with pano roof, i like it. With the back interior the shade works well.One BIG benefit of the glass roof is you do not have to wax it. If lets in just enough light to cheer things up. No noise on my unit. The black with silver looks good.
Try to buy a existing car if you can, drive it over rough pavement and potholes with the windows up and the stereo and climate control fans off. Do not believe anything you hear about fixing rattles under the dash. Check out seat comfort and smooth gear changes. When you special order it is harder to walk away. You should be able to make a better deal on a existing car at the end of the month. Why not drive to the other dealer and left them compete for your business. They may be owned by the same parent company though.
Good point. While I like a good deal like anyone else, I'd rather try through my local dealer. I've purchased two previous cars from them and they are decent. They also provide a "guaranteed" loaner car if you purchase a car from them.

It turns out that I cannot get rear heated seats without the leather option. Since I prefer the MBtex now, I asked my SR to see if he can get the car from the other dealer (Paladium, black tex + burl wood, P1, Pano, sport and lighting packages, lane tracking, parktronic w/surround view, keyless go, heated steering - which I really wanted, 115V outlet, comfort box - which I didn't care about). Since delaer took delivery already, I pay +$475 to truck it up here We'll see what happens. If I can't get that car, I stick with what I have ordered now (w/o Pano).
Old 10-30-2014 | 11:11 AM

e550
Originally Posted by noka
Good point. While I like a good deal like anyone else, I'd rather try through my local dealer. I've purchased two previous cars from them and they are decent. They also provide a "guaranteed" loaner car if you purchase a car from them.

It turns out that I cannot get rear heated seats without the leather option. Since I prefer the MBtex now, I asked my SR to see if he can get the car from the other dealer (Paladium, black tex + burl wood, P1, Pano, sport and lighting packages, lane tracking, parktronic w/surround view, keyless go, heated steering - which I really wanted, 115V outlet, comfort box - which I didn't care about). Since delaer took delivery already, I pay +$475 to truck it up here We'll see what happens. If I can't get that car, I stick with what I have ordered now (w/o Pano).
That 110 outlet wil allow you to plug in your laptop,compressor or phone for charging without an adaptor. I like the comfort box it allows you to put things in there without sliding around . Plus women really like it for shopping. Be sure to drive the car very critically so your not back here asking about shift points and rattles under the dash. all the best

Last edited by wanderfalke; 10-30-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:47 PM

2011 E550, 2008 SL55 AMG
I bought a car off the lot with the panorama sunroof. Would I have ordered the option - no. That said, I don't have anything against the panorama sunroof - the interior of my Iridium Silver/Black Leather car stays nice and cool even on hot sunny days as long as I keep the shade closed. So far no rattles, squeaks or pops from the sunroof on my 24K mile 2011 W212.
Old 10-30-2014 | 10:08 PM

2014 W212 E350 4M
I owned a 2010 E350 4M for 4 years with a panoramic roof and now own a 2014 with the same option. It is great, no problems, no squeaks, the screen is more than adequate to block the sun. It was on the must list for the 2014. It looks great with any color that isn't black. That being said I buy black cars with the pano roof. As others have said that much less to polish and wax. In Winter or when the skies are grey it lets a lot more light in the car and it feels "bigger" inside.
Old 10-31-2014 | 01:25 AM

2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
Congrats, you WILL love the Pano with the Silver, see mine they look great together.
Old 10-31-2014 | 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by samkimg
Congrats, you WILL love the Pano with the Silver, see mine they look great together.
A little scary that you had to go through a buyback. I'll have to search your posts to read about that ordeal. In any case, you've got a nicely optioned car now (nice pics!). It's not a done deal yet. I'm waiting to hear back from my SR if the other dealer would be willing to part with the car.
Old 10-31-2014 | 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Late to the part, but for what it's worth:

Are you glad you got the Panorama sunroof and if you had it to do over again, would you get it? - HAD IT ON ALL 3 MB'S (C, E COUPE, E SEDAN) AND LOVE IT

- Is the screen sufficient to block sunlight enough when you need? (I live in New England so boiling weather doesn't happen so often). I NEVER USE THE SCREEN AND
I LIVE IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE WHERE TEMPS IN SUMMER GO UPTO 30-35C
PLUS I PREFER TO HAVE IT OPEN SO THE INTERIOR IS BRIGHT - ESPECIALLY
SINCE DASH & SEATS ARE BLACK

- Is it really as noisy as some posts I read when I searched indicated?
AH.... THIS IS A GOOD QUESTION. ON MY C-CLASS IT DEFINITELY STARTED TO SQUEAK
ESPECIALLY WHEN GOING UP & DOWN UNDERGROUND PARKINGS. MY E-COUPE HAD A LITTLE RATTLING SOUND WHEN THE ROOF WAS OPEN. THIS STARTED AFTER ABT 2.5 YEARS. MY LATEST E-SEDAN HAS NOT PROBLEMS SO FAR.

HOWEVER ALL 3 CARS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM: WHEN IT'S HOT & YOU CLOSE THE ROOF, IT SOMETIMES OPENS UP HALF AGAIN BY ITSELF. I HAVE YET TO FIND
A DEFINITE CURE FOR IT.

CHEERS
EGON
Old 10-31-2014 | 05:41 PM

2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I looked at getting the pano roof, but decided against it. I DO like the amount of light it lets in, but I'm in Florida and the best way to keep the car cool is keeping the heat OUT of the car period. The fabric shades don't block out 100% of the light. I'm sure the lighter colored fabric headliners would let even more light and heat through.

I also seem to attract hailstorms and tornadoes, both which I think would do a number of the pano roof. I can't count how many times I've driven thorough hail, but I've driven through a few tropical storms and through the middle of an F1 tornado on the interstate.
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:37 AM

W212 E220 CDI w. AMG Styling pack
Also happy with my pano sunroof. It looks great and the frame is strong enough not to ruin the cars stiffness. That said. My roof broke not to long ago.
I opened the roof on a hot summer day and it wouldn't close again. Might have been a small rock or something that got in the rails. This ended up bending the frame when trying to close the roof.
The car was just out of warranty, so repair was going to be expensive. Luckily Mercedes took responsibility and paid for the repair.
If not the price would have been around 15.000$ I was told. I got it for free, but the car had to go to 3 different places and the whole process took just over 14 days.

So fingers crossed it doesn't break.
Old 11-03-2014 | 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
I have a Nissan Rogue with pano roof and not impressed with it. Even with the shade closed, it does heat up the interior. Also, the design (Nissan?) restricts the tilt feature to only opening a very slight amount. In five years, I have opened sunroof on my "E" less than 10 times just to see what it was like. Closed it within 20 minutes each time. However, I leave the tilt open almost all the time, summer and winter, to air out the car.
Suggest you try out one with panoramic for an hour or so. Also, see if you can find one sitting on lot in hot sun and get in and feel the shade. Is it hot? May be hard to do this time of year though.
Old 11-03-2014 | 03:45 PM

2007 SL550
All thumbs up for my pano roof except for one design modification.

i wish the MB engineers would have dual shade retraction. one for the front roof and one for the back.

i would like to open my sunroof w/o retracting both shades. the back can stay closed when i'm driving by myself. Also would be relevant if you just want some air in with the pop up feature vs full sun roof being open. i have to have the whole shade pulled just to lift the roof.
Old 11-03-2014 | 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Same complaint with Nissan Rogue

Originally Posted by DonClaudio99
All thumbs up for my pano roof except for one design modification.

i wish the MB engineers would have dual shade retraction. one for the front roof and one for the back.

i would like to open my sunroof w/o retracting both shades. the back can stay closed when i'm driving by myself. Also would be relevant if you just want some air in with the pop up feature vs full sun roof being open. i have to have the whole shade pulled just to lift the roof.
Nissan Rogue functions the same. Wonder if it is generic to all panoramic roofs or has to be made that way? Personally I much prefer the standard roof in my "E" with the hand operated, thicker and more insulating panel.
Old 11-03-2014 | 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
limited availability of Panorama Roof

Last Saturday, I was told by my MB dealer that there is currently a "limited availability" of Panorama roof option for 2015 W212 factory orders.

It would appear that the supplier is having problems keeping up with demand. For anyone contemplating this option on a factory order, you might wish to confirm availability with your dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panorama sunroof...