E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

W212 E-Class Luxury model 17" wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2014 | 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, 2024 BMW I7 xDrive60
Originally Posted by ddeliber
I believe that the greatest characteristic of the E-class is for lack of a better word smoothness. No E-class is ever going to be floaty or even soft. Silky smooth like a speed-boat cutting through a wave-less lake. IMO MB made a mistake by putting larger wheels and shorter springs in the sport package on the early models. It takes away from the unique smooth and stable feel that you get in the Luxury pkg. Sport E-classes attempt to improve steering response and tighten up the handling however, bumps are amplified, and you get a jittery feel.

Having said this, I believe that this was fixed around 2013. They tweaked/improved things to the point where the differences between the luxury and sport trims are minimal. I drove a lot of 2010s and 2011s and the differences were noticeable. The 2014 sports that I drove were a significant improvement.
The crying shame in all of this, is MB's fairly recent and ridiculous decision to limit availability of their truly magnificent AirMatic suspension to only their "Sport" model E Class sedans. We had a 2004 E500 that we ordered with AirMatic. The ride was amazing: S Class like in "Comfort" mode, Porsche like in "Sport" mode. Today, other than in AMG models, AirMatic is only available on the new E400, which is ONLY available in the Sport trim. We have a new, loaded E350 Luxury on order currently. We would have jumped up to the E400 and ordered it with AirMatic IF MB had offered it in Luxury trim, but the idiots in control of such decisions have this "head up their a--" thinking that anyone who wants more power MUST want their ridiculous Sports Pkg. This is what happens when a company like MB decides that they need a million different "entry level" models to lure a younger group of buyers: traditional models suffer and long time, very loyal (read "older" if it helps you) customers are ignored.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (02-05-2021)
Old 12-09-2014 | 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Lots of talk about the ride quality and how springs are shorter on the sports model... Are they really?

I would think that the "hard" ride of the sport models mostly comes from stiffer or "harder" shock absorbers. I bet if you take shocks out from both models they are very soft over the bumps but, of course, without shocks could not drive at any real speed.

I think a sports model can be made a lot softer or luxury-like by changing to softer shock absorbers.
Old 12-09-2014 | 07:33 PM

2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by Arrie
Lots of talk about the ride quality and how springs are shorter on the sports model... Are they really?

I would think that the "hard" ride of the sport models mostly comes from stiffer or "harder" shock absorbers. I bet if you take shocks out from both models they are very soft over the bumps but, of course, without shocks could not drive at any real speed.

I think a sports model can be made a lot softer or luxury-like by changing to softer shock absorbers.
To be honest, I don't know what is different, I just read it here somewhere and spit it back out in this thread. I do know that the sports sit lower and I thought that the stance had more to do with the springs as opposed to the shocks. I haven't compared part numbers but that seems not to difficult a task if anyone is up for it.
Old 12-09-2014 | 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by ddeliber
To be honest, I don't know what is different, I just read it here somewhere and spit it back out in this thread. I do know that the sports sit lower and I thought that the stance had more to do with the springs as opposed to the shocks. I haven't compared part numbers but that seems not to difficult a task if anyone is up for it.
I did not mean you particularly with the comment of shorter springs. I also remember reading it somewhere else and it can be that springs in the sports model really are shorter especially if it sits lower than the luxury model.

But the length of the spring does not make the car ride hard or soft. The spring constant determines how much the car leans in corners at speed, i.e. when there is relatively long lasting force to one direction. The ride quality the most people talk about here I believe is how you feel the bumps or pot holes on the road and that comes from the shocks.
Old 02-05-2021 | 03:05 AM

2012 E350, 2001 E320
Originally Posted by m4sta
I noticed a huge difference when changed from contisport 5 245.45.17 summer tires, to winter nokianhakka r2 225.50.17.

It was alot easier steering, and the whole car felt more comfortable driving!

which tire size was better for driving ? 225-50-17 or the 245-45-17?