E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Quick recommendation for seat heater problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
E 320
Quick recommendation for seat heater problem!

Happy new year everyone,

I have a 2010 E350 where the entire bottom seat heater stopped working! The middle part doesn't heat up and neither does the sides of the seat!

I know from reading a few threads that people ordered the middle seat pad part, 212 820 24 98, and said the seat heater started working again!

I asked the guy at the service department and he said that ordering the middle part mentioned above should be enough!

There is also another part for the sides of the seat and for the front side of the seat (U-shaped part) with the part number 212 820 21 98, which has been replaced by this current part number 212 906 4002!

Now do I need to order both of these parts? Or would the middle seat pad be enough to heat up the entire bottom seat? I don't want to take the seat apart, put it back together and find out that the sides of the seat are still not heating up!

Any recommendations please?

Thank you,

Iron Sheik
Old 01-05-2015, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
I think if you're tearing into do them all. Does the portion for the lower back work?

Originally Posted by Iron Sheik
Happy new year everyone,

I have a 2010 E350 where the entire bottom seat heater stopped working! The middle part doesn't heat up and neither does the sides of the seat!

I know from reading a few threads that people ordered the middle seat pad part, 212 820 24 98, and said the seat heater started working again!

I asked the guy at the service department and he said that ordering the middle part mentioned above should be enough!

There is also another part for the sides of the seat and for the front side of the seat (U-shaped part) with the part number 212 820 21 98, which has been replaced by this current part number 212 906 4002!

Now do I need to order both of these parts? Or would the middle seat pad be enough to heat up the entire bottom seat? I don't want to take the seat apart, put it back together and find out that the sides of the seat are still not heating up!

Any recommendations please?

Thank you,

Iron Sheik
Old 01-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,449 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
Before purchasing parts have someone with MB DAS pull fault code(s) - since both seat center & side heating is not functioning you can check connections at block under seat (6)
Attached Thumbnails Quick recommendation for seat heater problem!-capture.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320
Originally Posted by Airmousam
I think if you're tearing into do them all. Does the portion for the lower back work?
Yes, the portion of the lower back has always worked and still works till this day!

I'm guessing it's the middle and/or outer heating pads that need to be replaced?

Iron Sheik
Old 01-05-2015, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Before purchasing parts have someone with MB DAS pull fault code(s) - since both seat center & side heating is not functioning you can check connections at block under seat (6)

Thank you! I will look into that! Although, there are no fault codes as the thermostat coolant was replaced not too long ago and no other codes showed up!

Iron Sheik
Old 01-05-2015, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 e350
You should disconnect the plug underneath and read resistance. You should have 5-10 ohms.
Look for the wires that run straight up into the seat bottom. There's a square block of 4 wires. You should be able to access the wires from the front of the seat without taking the seat out. Later on with the seat out you would need to remove the wires from the other end.
My outer part of the bottom seat worked even though the center part didn't.