E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

MB E Class Engine Block Heater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
MB E Class Engine Block Heater

To my fellow snowballs that live in parts of the USA that are now well frozen I thought I'd share with you the fact that MB makes an engine block heater for the E350 (it probably fits the E550 too but you'd have to ask the service manager). I got my MB engine block heater the month after I got my car (April 2010). Since none of the USA dealers even know MB makes it for the E350 I called Nicole Bigney of MB of Halifax, Canada, she is the parts manager and very helpful. She ordered the parts from the factory in Germany and than she shipped them down to me, after which I took them over to my local MB dealer here in NJ and they did the install. If you decide the engine block heater is for you be fore warned, it's not a DIY job as you need arms that are about 7 feet long and you can't be taller than 4 feet, which means you'd need a ladder as well.
All kidding aside, if you HATE the COLD as much as I do it's well worth the money. Mine is on a timer that I can control from my house with a remote or I can just leave it on the timer it's on. You turn it on about 3 hours before you go out and viola', instant heat, sure beats driving for 10 minutes before you get that nice warm air. The parts are about $350 but it's a MB so we all know nothing's cheap, but the labor was only an hour but as I said before, if you live in the frozen North, it's worth every penny.
Again, the dealer is: O'Regan M-B Ltd., 3585 Kempt Road, Halifax, N.S. B3K 4X6 Canada and their phone number is: 1-800-478-1811
Stay Warm!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
I'm glad that MB still makes block heaters. Some manufacturers engine's won't even accept a block heater anymore.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:53 PM

E300-4matic
There's always the oil dipstick heater

The only bad part is with the parts and installation from MB it's about $400, chevy is putting it in their cars as an option for $75, at least MB is sticking to it's time tested philosophy, anyway to get into the buyers wallet in a big way! I really don't see why they care in Germany if they have more heat in their cars, the average German is obese, check it out at the WHO web-site.
Too much sausage and cabbage and way too much beer.
Also on a separate note, just for fun go to the MB web-site for the U.K., they're paying about 25% less for the same equipped E Class than we are and they have no less than seven different engine choices as well as cars sans sunroofs and a number of other items that not everybody in the world wants. I believe the address is www.mb.com/uk , check it out.
The following users liked this post:
bjbina (10-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2015, 07:56 PM

E300-4matic
The correct web-address is: http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/
Old 01-31-2015, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by 1guitar
The only bad part is with the parts and installation from MB it's about $400, chevy is putting it in their cars as an option for $75, at least MB is sticking to it's time tested philosophy, anyway to get into the buyers wallet in a big way! I really don't see why they care in Germany if they have more heat in their cars, the average German is obese, check it out at the WHO web-site.
Too much sausage and cabbage and way too much beer.
Also on a separate note, just for fun go to the MB web-site for the U.K., they're paying about 25% less for the same equipped E Class than we are and they have no less than seven different engine choices as well as cars sans sunroofs and a number of other items that not everybody in the world wants. I believe the address is www.mb.com/uk , check it out.
I didn't notice a price difference to their benefit. The base price for the sedan was 34,270 British Pound Sterling which is 51632.90 US Dollars - comparable to the $51,800 on mbusa.com. I priced out a loaded E63S which came to £106k pounds or $160k, versus a loaded on mbusa.com for $108k. Probably the wrong car to pick as the base price for the E63S was 2.4 times the base price for the E220BT. It was cool to see the differences in engines though. They claim the E63S will get 28.5mpg over there.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 AM

E300-4matic
Premium Fuel in Europe

I'm wondering where they even get premium gasoline to put into their MB's. I know in the UK there are many stations that don't even carry it once you get about 50+ miles away from London and some of their other sizable cities.