Pothole ate my wheel. Picture

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Originally Posted by Airmousam
I remember that thread, did the city ever get back to you? Would be awesome if they covered it!
I should have posted the letter the city send me! But no they didn't, city said something about them having to be informed about the pothole for at least 2 days. Would have been nice to get something, even a small amount from them though.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by DonClaudio99
i hit a giant blind pothole doing about 10mph that was on the other side of a raised railroad track.
it sounded so loud and felt so hard i was amazed that i had no damage to the rim. after it hit the car had no tpms signal and drove straight.
i drove about 10 miles and parked at the office before seeing that both right side tires actually were damaged but not flat (see pics). lucky i always buy tire insurance and immediately drove to the tire store and again lucky for me had two of the conti 18's in stock.
i too am waiting for the city to reimburse me.
I hear those Conti Pro contact are prone to bubble like yours have. The Cont DWS are supposedly more robust - mine survived the hole and wore out from driving a mile with no air.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
well i am impressed they didn't pop and impressed the OEM AMG rims were clean...running great still with no problems after 30 days.

the same day while i was waiting for my tires to be replaced, i filed a complaint on the city's transportation website about the pot hole. then after it got fixed i sent in the reimbursement request form with their service tag id.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w212
Repairing that big of a crack is not a good idea. I dont know if those wheels are cast but it looks like the impact might have been right on the casting mold line for it to make a tearing crack like that. It had probably seen other smaller impacts too, and started micro cracking that weakened the wheel in that area.

I'd like to see more pics of the wheel if you have it. My first job as an engineering intern was with an aircraft wheel and brake company so I'm always interested in wheel cracking, crack propagation and failure.

I hate that sound when you go over a pothole and just hear the pavement push in the tire all the way and hit the metal. Pretty sure I have a bent wheel or two from last winter but it's not detectable on the balance yet. This winter has been better so far but it's always Feb and march when the road surfaces get really ugly here in Ohio.

Last edited by aeroconfigs; 02-07-2015 at 11:20 AM.