E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Dealer Tech wants to take my car home overnight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2022 | 06:20 PM

13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by Andy12
Mercedes Benz, the rest do not matter.
Have you ever taken a second to think that they are helping you? They are trying to make sure the car is working right or that they hear and feel or experience what you experience. Ive had techs take my car hope many times for the past thirty years of car ownership, why, because im super **** and most techs can not feel the issues we as owners feel because we are so used to the cars. The last time I had motor mounts replaced at the dealer under warranty, I insisted for more inspection time even though a long time amg tech (because it does in fact matter which model you have) thougt it rode great. The car did ride great, but not perfect, so upon my insistence, they kept the car and upon removal of the mounts, they could then see the damage. Without the extra seat time. they may not have budged. I would not have gotten the repair I felt I needed if the tech did not spend time with the car. I understand that no warranty or Mercedes is looking to make an individual car perfect so when a dealer is willing to offer extra free diagnosis time that they don't get reimbursed for to help me and my car, I say thank you.

Maybe you need to call your dealer and say thank you for offering to go above and beyond what they are getting compensated for. The dealership does not build the cars, in case you've thought differently.

Last edited by Baltistyle; 07-20-2022 at 08:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022 | 08:52 PM

c300
GPS

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
I can see a bit of anxiety letting your car be driven home by a non-technician.
Service desks are famous for acting clueless. Factory Trained tecs are granted legitimacy.

These cars are geolocated by GPS and can be traced through cellular (lease repos!) I don't think any dealer employee would risk his job by acting like an idiot, right ?
Yes, you are right. The new ones thanks to app and gps you can operate and see actual location of the car on the phone.Taking customer’s cars is probably practiced for years so it is nothing new to management. Maybe in some specific situations it is justified but in many I am sure is not.
Old 07-20-2022 | 09:17 PM

c300
MB

Originally Posted by CincyMBGuy
Who p!$$ed in your Cheerios this morning, why so angry?

On topic, the certified technician isn't some 20 year old porter or lube tech. They are trying to perform a job and as nice as you think your car is, they've been around (and may own) much nicer.

Personally, I would be thrilled by the offer to have a fix expedited off the clock of a VERY expensive technician. The same drive is going to occur if it is to their home overnight or at 2pm to the tune of $150-$250/hr.
Who? All this pi$$ed ego maniacs technicians replaying and trying to justify taking customers cars for a free ride home. Even you, read carefully your post. Are you saying that a technician after taking customers car home keeps working on it in his garage? This is 21 century. In most cases plug-in computer and everything pups out. By the way I don’t eat that crap.
Old 07-20-2022 | 09:29 PM

13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Who? All this pi$$ed ego maniacs technicians replaying and trying to justify taking customers cars for a free ride home. Even you, read carefully your post. Are you saying that a technician after taking customers car home keeps working on it in his garage? This is 21 century. In most cases plug-in computer and everything pups out. By the way I don’t eat that crap.

Is this your first car and are you of driving age? Nobody is saying they work on the car in their personal garage or off the clock or without insurance or WHATEVER STRETCH. This is called an extended road test that might take longer than book time and instead of charging you the difference above what Mercedes may pay them and depending on the warranty, they offer this FREE SERVICE. Its about driving the car on different roads and surfaces over many miles or ignition cycles. You might want to google what any of these replies mean....because its simple first rate diagnostic solution to a problem

Do you believe a computer can diagnose the car better than a human? Do you think they didn't try that? Do you think they care about driving your car, or you or your situation? Do you think that tech (usually a senior tech that solves the difficult problems) wants to deal with you if something goes wrong and you act like this in public??? They are offering good service. OR everyone here is lying to you? Im no mechanic. I didn't buy from Benz, have an aftermarket warranty, and know the way to get things fixed. Im just a very experienced diy'er that has a clue, and offered you one. Good luck with your issue/s
CincyMBGuy (07-21-2022)
Old 07-20-2022 | 09:49 PM

c300
Dude

Originally Posted by DFWdude
Pay attention, as I have tried to be nice until now. In my experience, those who demonstrate an unwillingness to trust their valued possessions to others trying to help them... display a sense of disregard for the property of others as well, usually leading them to be among the first to thrash a rental car, or drive a dealer loaner like they stole it. I'd ask if you understand that, but I won't as the entirety of your 8 newbie posts to date have been in this thread, all of them negative. You clearly care only about yourself and your precious Mercedes-Benz.

I've owned Mercedes-Benzes for the last 22 years. They are complicated vehicles, not immune to very complicated issues that sometimes necessitate overnight evaluation of solutions as I have already noted twice for you, without your acknowledgement. Without an open mind to this, I guarantee you will later regale us with your whining that you've visited the dealer multiple times chasing the same problem, taxing the dealer's patience, and ours. If you are unwilling to understand that, then I wager you will not own a Mercedes-Benz (or other high-end vehicle) for long.
Dude, I try to be nice. Maybe you are more than just a retired person. You read but you do not understand it. I don’t care about your 22 years experience with your 124k car. You have to realize that this day cars you can not push them anymore to start the engine. We are leaving in 21 century. They are connecting computer to the car and it diagnose for errors. You don’t drive and listen it for weeks anymore. Even though I am sure this may be needed but most likely is very rear. There is no need to take customer car home as often as they practice it. Read posts, it’s not just me others also don’t approve it.
Your evaluation of my person is stupid. You are dumb, I am sorry.
Old 07-20-2022 | 09:57 PM

c300
A

Originally Posted by Baltistyle
Is this your first car and are you of driving age? Nobody is saying they work on the car in their personal garage or off the clock or without insurance or WHATEVER STRETCH. This is called an extended road test that might take longer than book time and instead of charging you the difference above what Mercedes may pay them and depending on the warranty, they offer this FREE SERVICE. Its about driving the car on different roads and surfaces over many miles or ignition cycles. You might want to google what any of these replies mean....because its simple first rate diagnostic solution to a problem

Do you believe a computer can diagnose the car better than a human? Do you think they didn't try that? Do you think they care about driving your car, or you or your situation? Do you think that tech (usually a senior tech that solves the difficult problems) wants to deal with you if something goes wrong and you act like this in public??? They are offering good service. OR everyone here is lying to you? Im no mechanic. I didn't buy from Benz, have an aftermarket warranty, and know the way to get things fixed. Im just a very experienced diy'er that has a clue, and offered you one. Good luck with your issue/s
You do not have a clue what is a problem with my car. I do and I don’t like the way it is handled. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This is mine, like or not.
Old 07-21-2022 | 09:54 AM

'16 C450, '21 Dad Wagon Pilot, '22 Wrangler 4xe
If you treat your service department like you treat those here offering you help, opinions, and advice, I genuinely hope that they choose not to assist you any further than they already have. There is no shortage of individuals waiting to line your local service bays to keep their cars in tip-top shape.

To put it bluntly, there isn't a service tech on the planet that cares about taking your C300 home for a "free ride." I would bet my lunch that the tech assigned to your car has a $70k truck he would much rather be driving home than your sedan.

OBDII code readers are great and make the job easier most of the time but if you car isn't throwing a fault code or has an intermittent issue, then a repeated cycle or extended drive is the best way to replicate whatever the issue you have failed to mention your car is experiencing.
pierrejoliat (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022 | 09:58 AM

c300
Wow

Originally Posted by CincyMBGuy
If you treat your service department like you treat those here offering you help, opinions, and advice, I genuinely hope that they choose not to assist you any further than they already have. There is no shortage of individuals waiting to line your local service bays to keep their cars in tip-top shape.

To put it bluntly, there isn't a service tech on the planet that cares about taking your C300 home for a "free ride." I would bet my lunch that the tech assigned to your car has a $70k truck he would much rather be driving home than your sedan.

OBDII code readers are great and make the job easier most of the time but if you car isn't throwing a fault code or has an intermittent issue, then a repeated cycle or extended drive is the best way to replicate whatever the issue you have failed to mention your car is experiencing.
I respect all until I am respected.
Old 07-21-2022 | 10:01 AM

'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
I do and I don’t like the way it is handled..
Then sunshine, fix your car yourself, what are you doing here.
CincyMBGuy (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022 | 10:20 AM

c300
Originally Posted by Faast
Then sunshine, fix your car yourself, what are you doing here.
hey moonlight, what I am doing where?
Old 07-21-2022 | 10:36 AM

'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
You do not have a clue what is a problem with my car. I do and I don’t like the way it is handled.
What's that ^ and why can't you fix it yourself if you know what's wrong with it ?

Last edited by Faast; 07-21-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2022 | 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
You do not have a clue what is a problem with my car. I do and I don’t like the way it is handled. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This is mine, like or not.
I recommend you hire your own personal mechanic and have him work on your car in your own driveway where you can supervise.

good luck with that.
The following 3 users liked this post by Left Coast Geek:
Andy12 (07-21-2022), CincyMBGuy (07-21-2022), pierrejoliat (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022 | 12:42 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek
I recommend you hire your own personal mechanic and have him work on your car in your own driveway where you can supervise.

good luck with that.
On it. Thank you so much and god bless you.
Old 07-21-2022 | 02:46 PM

S212 E350 Estate
Yes it's pretty common. Yes not all shops are the same, so YMMV. Some fixes require a certain amount of drive cycles to confirm and I would rather have them verify the fix before giving me back the car that's not ready.
CincyMBGuy (07-21-2022)
Old 07-22-2022 | 02:37 AM

2014 S550, 2007 S600
This is genuine entertainment. Bravo!
Left Coast Geek (07-22-2022)