E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Panoramic sunroof shades Instructions :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 AMG Sports Package
Exclamation Panoramic sunroof shades Instructions :)

Hi MB world, I just bought my first Mercedes wohoo! It has a panoramic sunroof but I can't figure out how to use it and how to get the shades to close. I see the shades are there but I'm thinking something is broken as the roof closed and opens very very slowly, like the motor is going to fail soon. It also decides to not open or close all the way and change route in the middle of a function so you have to always hold the button to get it to do what you want it to. I can tell it is already malfunctioning and I have read the roofs are a common problem anyway.

Now my main question is how do I retract the shade? It is either broken or I am a completely blonde.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 908 Likes on 651 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by B.olga
Hi MB world, I just bought my first Mercedes wohoo! It has a panoramic sunroof but I can't figure out how to use it and how to get the shades to close. I see the shades are there but I'm thinking something is broken as the roof closed and opens very very slowly, like the motor is going to fail soon. It also decides to not open or close all the way and change route in the middle of a function so you have to always hold the button to get it to do what you want it to. I can tell it is already malfunctioning and I have read the roofs are a common problem anyway.

Now my main question is how do I retract the shade? It is either broken or I am a completely blonde.

Thanks!
For the shade you use the same switch as you use for the sunroof. After the roof closes you move the switch to roof closing direction and the shade closes. While it is closing you can stop it by touching the switch again just like you can stop the roof closing / opening too.

If your roof moves very slow and sometimes stops and reverses it is a sign of either failing motor or unlubricated rails. Stopping and reversing would point to too much friction for the move, i.e. the system thinks something is in the opening and it stops the movement before somebody gets hurt.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,190 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
^ It is kind of funky, but that is the way it works. One switch controls the glass and shade. After a couple of times doing it you will understand how it functions.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e550
If you have opened the sunroof without opening the shades something is definitely out of whack. It is a dual function switch you can push it up or down and forward and back. Like the windows push the button down past the last point of resistance and release if you keep pushing and do not release it stops where it is when you release it. Maybe a little silicone spray would help.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 02-27-2015 at 10:00 AM.