E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Invisible speedo needle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Invisible speedo needle?

I have the damnedest time keeping track of speed in my '12 E. If the "floating" speedo needle isn't invisble, it's at least highly camouflaged to my eye. It's essentially a white needle on a white background. It takes just that much longer to check your speed. Not a biggie, but certainly unnecessary.

As a result, I find myself using the multifunction display inside the speedo to display MPH. It works as advertised, but I feel tied to it - and am losing out on using that real estate for other trivalities (navi, audio, etc).

The face lift seems to have brought a whiter background, but kept with the white needle. It's nice enough, but it doesn't look like it'd be that much quicker to check speed.

Seems AMG uses a red speedo needle that I think would be much simpler to quickly check. [A HUD would be ideal, but modifying my car would require buying a new car so that's kinda out for the time being.]

Anyone else? Ideas or options?

Pre-face lift, non-AMG:

Face lift, non-AMG:
Invisible speedo needle?-ugibhjyl.jpg

AMG:
Invisible speedo needle?-a2xr63al.jpg
Old 04-02-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350Cab
I too always found the speedo very difficult to read so I just use the digital. I don't need the info displayed on the multifunction display when it is fairly easy to get the same plus more on the Command system.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4M (2012), C300 4M Sport (2009)
I don't have that issue with my 2012 - but when I test drove the '15, that excessively white speedometer was the one thing I hated most about it.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Common complaint

Originally Posted by velocity12
I too always found the speedo very difficult to read so I just use the digital. I don't need the info displayed on the multifunction display when it is fairly easy to get the same plus more on the Command system.

This has been discussed multiple times in this forum. In fact most find the entire speedometer display, both the needle and the numbers, very difficult to read during daylight. A solution in addition to changing the color of the needle is to enable dash display lighting when the headlights are not turned on. Given that this is a safety issue, I am amazed that MB does not offer a solution. I would be willing to bet that leaving the dash illumination on all the time is merely a re-flash of a chip somewhere. It is the only thing I dislike about my E and I too use the digital readout as my primary reference.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Digital speedo all day

Hard to see the arrow for regular speedo cuz of the steering wheel anyway.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
find mine hard to see also - use the digital instead. that's one thing I miss about the Prius. The digital readout was just under the windshield, almost like a HUD, that you could read at a glance.