E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

KW Street Comfort Coilovers

Old 09-14-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 w212 with OEM sport suspension
KW Street Comfort Coilovers

Hi, new to the boards. Have 20" wheels on order as well as KW street comforts.

Anyone here have a similar set up that can talk about the proper settings? and or experiences with the KW SC coilovers?

Thanks!

W212 E350 Sedan RWD
Old 09-14-2015, 10:56 PM

OK. I know folks out there are interested, so I'll make a thread based on what I find. First off, I found this review on the BMW 5 board as I can't find much on the MB board.

"My past suspensions have been OE Sport, Koni FSD, Koni Sport and most recently Koni Sport with BMW Performance Suspension springs and bumpstops. In addition to the PS springs and Koni's, I've installed M3 front control arms, the PS front anti roll bar, M3 rear subframe bushings, M3 rear upper links and guide rods, Meyle toe arms and the E91 14mm rear anti roll bar. I was satisfied with the handling of my car but not the ride quality. Every small bump or undulation in the road was transmitted to the chassis and caused the car to move around too much for my liking and to the liking of my favorite passenger. 'DefactoM6' has the KW SC suspension and was very patient in answering the many questions I had. At his recommendation I also had the Ground Control street camber plates installed along with the suspension about 3-4 weeks ago. Last week, I went back to my installer to adjust the ride height and get an alignment. The ride height is approx. 1/4" lower in the front than the BMW PS springs and set at 25.5" from the ground to fender at all four corners. The car could sit a lot lower or could be raised up a little bit. Since the install, I've taken two road trips on Hwy 1, a curvy road on the Ocean with lot's of hairpins, and I've got say I'm very pleased The additional neg camber up front vastly improves grip and reduces understeer. The car is much flatter in turns and just grips! Handling has been dramatically improved as has ride quality. The suspension absorbs most of what was previously transmitted to the chassis. Ride quality is better than oe sport springs with Koni FSD. I don't understand shock valving technology, but I'd say KW does a better job of it than Koni.
The only downside to the KW's is they do make an occasional odd sound when turning the wheel towards lock or going over a speed bump. I think the springs turn or move on the adjustable perch causing a light clunk or grinding sound. I'm guessing this is why HPA includes thrust sheets with their coilover suspensions.
I know there are a lot of options out there; I've been researching suspensions for this chassis for several years. I like that the shocks are valved for the springs and don't need stiffer springs for a car driven on public roads. The suspension may be soft at the track, but it's perfect for spirited driving on public highways! "
Old 09-14-2015, 11:07 PM

Here is the install guide. English on later pages.

http://docs.kwsuspension.de/ea-KWSCEA-h18025051.pdf
http://docs.kwsuspension.de/ea-KWESSC-68578814.pdf

9 Clicks front
9 Rear is the default

Interesting notes -

1. Ride high needs to be adjusted before putting them on. Damper can only be adjusted in the rear with the wheels on... And that is only if you cut a hole in the side wall of your trunk above the adjuster! Crazy.

2. My current Base Sedan + Suspension measures 27.5 from ground to top of hub. Supposedly this set up maxes out at 33mm lower (1.3") = Will be 26.2 when complete. I may need to remove the stock shim to get it lower?

I will post my other findings/ observations once everything is installed in a few weeks.

Last edited by xrepub; 09-23-2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Corrected links
Old 09-22-2015, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350
The initial review is from a 5 series bmw which is tuned to be slightly firmer than a mercedes that is stock. Maybe thats why the owner said the ride quality is improved(comfortwise) The aftermarket ride with the kw coilover is smoother and softer than a stock mercedes even?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 PM

Doubt it's better than stock Lux model. I have a w212 sport. Getting them put on this week and will take some Picts and write a review once installed. My biggest question at the moment is if the car will be much lowerer after being that I already have a "sport". Will def report on ride quality being that no one has really covered that on the board (kw street comfort on 212 that is, not to be confused with the kw 1,2,or3)

Will c !

Last edited by xrepub; 09-24-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350
any updates?
Old 10-14-2015, 10:38 PM

I will post a lengthy message in a week or so with Picts. But here is my take. The ride is great and almost like stock sport suspension. The key I've found is to take the damper way down. It does make the car a little bouncier but unless your tracking you'll be happy. Here is my set up.

Took about 2 weeks for springs to settle
Best settings 3-4 click from full soft all around.
My car measures 26" from ground to top of wheel wells and looks great
I would highly recommend a corner balance and alignment once you have the settings where you want them, I noticed a decent improvment.

I should add that I recently put 20" wheels on as well, the tires are much thinner and that is the real ride compromise. In retrospect I may have done 19. No rub but yes you can feel the smaller bumps.

Ah!!! And finally I should mention the most disheartening aspect of the project. The rear damper adjustment is not accessible once on. To adjust you have to take everything apart, that would suck if you wanted to adjust for track.

Last edited by xrepub; 10-14-2015 at 10:44 PM.