E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

MERCEDES BUYERS, BEWARE THE ECO NIGHTMARE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550
When I 1st saw the title I was expecting a horror story. Then I read the OPs post. Lol. C'mon man. It's not that serious. Just hit the ECO button & go. I do it every time I get in the car from the moment i bought the car. Also, when you took delivery of the car didn't they delivery team do a walkthrough with you of all the car's features? My dealer did that for both myself & my wife. Her's took about 30-35 minutes for her C & mine took about 40-45 for my CLS. But I even knew about most features before purchase because I researched em. Anyway, if my wife can do something extra without complaining with her start-up routine, i.e. hit the *** button, you should be able to as well. SMH.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
On topic: Is there any published evidence supporting the assertion that ECO mode shortens the longevity of the powerplant? Until then, it's just talk. Push the button and turn it off.

(...and yes you can push the button while driving. It won't break your car. I only bring this up because there's another silly post out there right now asking if pushing the E/S button while driving will break the car. Argh, E/S and ECO are just software-driven features!)

Way, way off topic: I really liked one of the comments El Cid made earlier in this thread about impartiality. In the short year that I've been a member here, I've been surprised by how many Merc homers we have on-board. It makes my think twice about joining certain threads or making particular comments here because these folks are unable to see Merc as anything less than the be all end all and epitome of automotive awesomeness. In my humble opinion, it makes for uninteresting and self-aggrandizing conversation. I still very much like this forum and look for ways to contribute, but it's just a car. Merc makes some nice stuff (and some turds), but it's not pefect. Same goes for every other manufacturer.

Originally Posted by El Cid
...I bought an MB and still have it six years later. However, I am also honest about the pros and cons of the make. MB is not the perfect car
Old 10-22-2015, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 644 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by tonyE350
Just bought a new E350 last Sunday. The salesperson never mentioned about this new eco feature and I don't like what it does. Not to brag either, but I consider myself a little more than just a backyard mechanic, and I know this can't be good for the car in the long run. Prior to test driving it, I was told to push on a few buttons underneath the screen and I bet one of the buttons were to disable eco mode. So while driving it, everything seemed just fine, car never shuts off at a stop, beautiful ride. After the deal fall through, I drive the car home and notice the start/stop feature, Stupid! I've always thought what idiots would allow this feature, defaults at every start of the car, to be apart of a nice and rather expensive ride? I laugh every time they pull up next to me at a stop and it shuts off. I forgot to mention, creeping into my garage on a slight incline just breaks my heart. So I call the guy and he says that it'll save you 30% each time you fill up. I responded by saying it looks more like a 30% reduction in the lifespan of the car! They must have ran out technology or something, is that even possible? But unless they have an option to reverse the default, I'm bringing this thing back to the stealership. UNBELIEVABLE!
There is a module that you can get to automatically disable the button when you start the car I had it installed and I love it In Chicago mid city engineering. They make the module and install it or you can buy it and have someone else install it.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E320, 16 E350
For the one's under 18, here's what you call total domination, you children. Predictable and entertaining is what I call this. I've got this feeling the losers were racing each other on their sedans last night, so why not chat about how one was humiliated on the forums. You lack the courage to do anything productive but to try and dominate a forum, A FORUM..?

Lol..!

In my opinion, no different than trying to occupy a corner in front of a pizza parlor, Lol. You ladies have a good day.
Attached Thumbnails MERCEDES BUYERS, BEWARE THE ECO NIGHTMARE!-img_2136.gif  
Old 10-22-2015, 12:22 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
On topic: Is there any published evidence supporting the assertion that ECO mode shortens the longevity of the powerplant? Until then, it's just talk. Push the button and turn it off.

(...and yes you can push the button while driving. It won't break your car. I only bring this up because there's another silly post out there right now asking if pushing the E/S button while driving will break the car. Argh, E/S and ECO are just software-driven features!)

Way, way off topic: I really liked one of the comments El Cid made earlier in this thread about impartiality. In the short year that I've been a member here, I've been surprised by how many Merc homers we have on-board. It makes my think twice about joining certain threads or making particular comments here because these folks are unable to see Merc as anything less than the be all end all and epitome of automotive awesomeness. In my humble opinion, it makes for uninteresting and self-aggrandizing conversation. I still very much like this forum and look for ways to contribute, but it's just a car. Merc makes some nice stuff (and some turds), but it's not pefect. Same goes for every other manufacturer.
I disagree with your way, way off topic thread. Most of the responses in this thread are just telling the OP that you can a. push the ECO button to disable, b. buy a module to deactivate it altogether, c. previously researched this before purchasing the car, or d. just take the car back if it upsets you that much. I haven't seen a single comment on THIS thread that leads to Merc homers. Most of the guys on here have stated that they hate the feature or find it annoying. The others were just rebutting the statement that the OP made about the technology being old & rebranded as a new feature. I also think that most of the "veteran" posters are aggravated by the thread because it seems that this is a well discussed topic & the OP didn't search the forum before posting. And the title is just flat out misleading. I think that's irritated some people too. "MERCEDES BUYERS, BEWARE THE ECO NIGHTMARE". I'm clicking on the thread trying to see if there's something I need to be concerned about & it's about pushing a button. He hasn't even taken the time to familiarize himself with the car before he goes on a tirade about the ECO button. Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
@darkgable79: I need to clarify my way, way off topic comment about homers ... it's NOT related to this thread one bit aside from liking what El Cid wrote. It's other one-sided threads that get to me. Sorry!

Originally Posted by darkgable79
I disagree with your way, way off topic thread...
Old 10-22-2015, 01:27 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
@darkgable79: I need to clarify my way, way off topic comment about homers ... it's NOT related to this thread one bit aside from liking what El Cid wrote. It's other one-sided threads that get to me. Sorry!
Gotcha. No harm no foul. Brand loyalty can blind some folks.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
Originally Posted by Airmousam
forgot to take your chill pill again mate?

hahahaha yeah youre gonna have to remind me to take it every now and again. MORONS like the OP pisses me off big time!
Old 10-22-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
This is silly.

If you hate *** so much then get that mod cable (ebay) with last driver setting saving feature. It will remember your ECO off so you don't have to worry anymore.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:57 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
I like my eco, and it will be the next owners problem not mine
Old 10-23-2015, 09:03 AM

CLS550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I like my eco, and it will be the next owners problem not mine
Lol.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
There are Merc "homers"

Originally Posted by darkgable79
I disagree with your way, way off topic thread. Most of the responses in this thread are just telling the OP that you can a. push the ECO button to disable, b. buy a module to deactivate it altogether, c. previously researched this before purchasing the car, or d. just take the car back if it upsets you that much. I haven't seen a single comment on THIS thread that leads to Merc homers. Most of the guys on here have stated that they hate the feature or find it annoying. The others were just rebutting the statement that the OP made about the technology being old & rebranded as a new feature. I also think that most of the "veteran" posters are aggravated by the thread because it seems that this is a well discussed topic & the OP didn't search the forum before posting. And the title is just flat out misleading. I think that's irritated some people too. "MERCEDES BUYERS, BEWARE THE ECO NIGHTMARE". I'm clicking on the thread trying to see if there's something I need to be concerned about & it's about pushing a button. He hasn't even taken the time to familiarize himself with the car before he goes on a tirade about the ECO button. Just my .02 cents.
My comment was made in response to beejAMG's negative comments re: me and my posts. Not sure what a "homer" is, but assume it is a person who believes that his/her particular vehicle or make is perfect and no negative comments should be made about the vehicles or the makes.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:05 AM

CLS550
Originally Posted by instantfob
This is silly.

If you hate *** so much then get that mod cable (ebay) with last driver setting saving feature. It will remember your ECO off so you don't have to worry anymore.
I know right. Someone already suggested that to him, but he glossed over it & continued to state how much he hated the feature. I wouldn't think the ECO feature is a deal breaker, but I think the OP does. Someone else suggested that he just return the car. If he's that unhappy with it I think that'd probably be the best thing for him.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:07 AM

CLS550
Originally Posted by El Cid
My comment was made in response to beejAMG's negative comments re: me and my posts. Not sure what a "homer" is, but assume it is a person who believes that his/her particular vehicle or make is perfect and no negative comments should be made about the vehicles or the makes.
Yes, I know. That's why my response was directed towards Johnny Rad & we got it figured out. Yea, that's what a homer is.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,513 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Are we done here?

LOL
Old 10-23-2015, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Really, what a ridiculous thread.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
"...Under the microscope: ECO start/stop:.....
Wow, I had no idea so many contingencies were taken into account for the ECO function. When it first was announced in production (not by MB) I thought it would have a problem with acceptance because of the scare factor when crossing traffic between moving cars or turning in front of someone approaching you. What would happen if it failed after your car was already committed? In the years since introduction I haven't read about a single failure attributed to the feature from any manufacturer that caused an accident or even a near miss (doesn't mean there hasn't been one). "The proof is in the pudding." Multiply the number of cars times the minimal gas and pollution savings and you have a huge impact so it's not just about YOU liking it. I guess it makes a difference whether you want to make yourself feel better or everyone else feel better if you push the button or not. As far as the technology is concerned I think it's solid.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014e350
tools read this

Mercedes owners seem to be rude tools or maybe just merc owners on forums....its likey due to the fact that most uneducated or dumb people use all their money to buy an expensive car or get a cheap used one to park it in front of their shack. BMW owners seem to have more sense. IMOH..lol
Old 10-23-2015, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I just started to use the "eco-pro" mode on my BMW recently.At least 90% of my miles are Interstate miles *and* my car allows you to disable start/stop and still keep the other benefits of "eco pro".Using it on the Interstate,with start/stop disabled,I get 52mpg at a steady 66MPH.I like it a lot.Also,BMWs default to the last start/stop setting you had...which I'm thankful for.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
BMW in eco mode will switch the transmission to neutral when you take your foot off the gas, it saves quite a bit of gas on the highway.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,513 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by The G Man
BMW in eco mode will switch the transmission to neutral when you take your foot off the gas, it saves quite a bit of gas on the highway.
Oh my god that's so much unnecessary wear and tear on the transmission!! I can't imagine driving bmw that puts the car in neutral when I'm driving!!! The sky is falling!!!!

Technology ... It's happening.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Oh my god that's so much unnecessary wear and tear on the transmission!! I can't imagine driving bmw that puts the car in neutral when I'm driving!!! The sky is falling!!!!

Technology ... It's happening.
The worst part is that there is no button to turn that off
Old 10-23-2015, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by The G Man
The worst part is that there is no button to turn that off
Yes there is....think about it.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
01 ML55AMG 04 ML500 03 ML350 08 ML63AMG
Personally I think all that new stuff they stick in to the cars now is not needed. Its only bringing more problems and the dealer makes more $$$ on us fixing it. Mercedes is an amazing car I just think they should improve the problems they have for a long time that they don't care fixing, Like head gaskets leaking oil after 50k miles or brakes that don't less longer that 20/30 k miles and id prefer real leather seats in a car that cost $60 grand. Freaking Honda and Toyota have real leather. But like I said the company don't care about what people complain about, all they care about how to screw us up and get more $$$ out of you because we r driving MB.

Ps I think we should all stick together and help each other how to fix some of the problems or even if you go to buy a car come here and ask people what to get, not just go and get one.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by Arrie
One thing ECO button did good for - it took discussion off of the transmission defaulting back to C (or E) and having to press that button at every start-up to be in S mode....

Man, life for the guys with the new cars with both the transmission mode AND ECO buttons to press at start-up must be just awful...

Not for me life ain't awful. I just push the AMG button. Wham! S suspension, S+ transmission and no ECO, all for one push

Though it is suuuuuuuch a burden having to push the seat button to turn the massager on. Like OMG whyyyyyy? Whyyyyy do I have to push a button to get my massage?

To be honest though, if I haven't had my coffee yet, no problem, the car keeps on snoozing right along with me. Shuts off at the lights? It's not like I was going anywhere while that light was red. But once I get tired of snoozing along and push that AMG button... oh ho things certainly come to life.

With eco mode, when I lift off the brake, it's started and ready before I even get my foot on the gas. Wait?!?! OP? You don't two-foot it like a girl do you? Is that the real problem here? Don't do that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: MERCEDES BUYERS, BEWARE THE ECO NIGHTMARE!