E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

MERCEDES BUYERS, BEWARE THE ECO NIGHTMARE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E320, 16 E350
MERCEDES BUYERS, BEWARE THE ECO NIGHTMARE!

Just bought a new E350 last Sunday. The salesperson never mentioned about this new eco feature and I don't like what it does. Not to brag either, but I consider myself a little more than just a backyard mechanic, and I know this can't be good for the car in the long run. Prior to test driving it, I was told to push on a few buttons underneath the screen and I bet one of the buttons were to disable eco mode. So while driving it, everything seemed just fine, car never shuts off at a stop, beautiful ride. After the deal fall through, I drive the car home and notice the start/stop feature, Stupid! I've always thought what idiots would allow this feature, defaults at every start of the car, to be apart of a nice and rather expensive ride? I laugh every time they pull up next to me at a stop and it shuts off. I forgot to mention, creeping into my garage on a slight incline just breaks my heart. So I call the guy and he says that it'll save you 30% each time you fill up. I responded by saying it looks more like a 30% reduction in the lifespan of the car! They must have ran out technology or something, is that even possible? But unless they have an option to reverse the default, I'm bringing this thing back to the stealership. UNBELIEVABLE!
Old 10-21-2015, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Sorry they didn't fill you in about that major feature during the test drive etc.

I'm not a big time mechanic type but I'm fairly versed in specs. I have no idea why anyone would want a car that does that. If fuel consumption is an issue then might as well get a Prius or a 4 cylinder. I've never personally driven a vehicle with this feature but I wonder is it jerky at all and is it noticeable to nearby vehicles/pedestrians when it shuts off and cuts back on?
Old 10-21-2015, 01:07 PM

99 E320, 16 E350
Originally Posted by jahquan3
Sorry they didn't fill you in about that major feature during the test drive etc.

I'm not a big time mechanic type but I'm fairly versed in specs. I have no idea why anyone would want a car that does that. If fuel consumption is an issue then might as well get a Prius or a 4 cylinder. I've never personally driven a vehicle with this feature but I wonder is it jerky at all and is it noticeable to nearby vehicles/pedestrians when it shuts off and cuts back on?

That's why I mentioned about creeping into my driveway on a slight incline, you really feel the hesitation. I also notice that it starts to engage just before the complete stop, so at that moment if you decide to accelerate, it hesitates. Correct, I'll spend the extra so-called 30% in gas savings.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
I have the feature in my car but it does not bother me at all. I do wonder if starter life is short lived because of it though. Prius has had the feature for many years but no report of side effect.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 203 Posts
2019 E300
I will play the devil's advocate here. This is my fourth car with the start stop technology. Like many here, I hated it at first, now I leave it on all the time. BMW allows for a retentive start stop setting, meaning if you shut it off, when you start up the car the next time, it stays off. A 30% reduction in fuel cost is a ridiculous number, salesman will tell you anything to sell a car. From my brief experiment, its more like 2.5% to 5% lower in gas mileage, there is also the reduced emission to consider. As far as added wear and tear, I am sure all the components have been upgraded to account for the additional start and stop cycle such as a heavy duty starter. The start and stop technology have been in use in Europe for many years with no wide spread problem associated with it.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by tonyE350
They must have ran out technology or something, is that even possible? But unless they have an option to reverse the default, I'm bringing this thing back to the stealership. UNBELIEVABLE!
Wow, talk about an over the top reaction !

Since you don't like the auto-stop-start (***) feature, just remember to push in the eco button (green light, centre dash !) after you start up the car. Your problem is solved !!!!

By the way, the *** has been incorporated in many new cars; it's not unique to Mercedes. The main benefit of *** is to reduce vehicle emissions while cars are stuck in traffic. *** will also reduce fuel consumption by a very minor amount.

The downsides to *** are likely to be a shortened life for the starter, although MB claims that the starter was redesigned to cope with more frequent usage. I also suspect that frequent re-starting of the engine may not be good for its service life.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 PM

99 E320, 16 E350
Originally Posted by Raymond Lee
I have the feature in my car but it does not bother me at all. I do wonder if starter life is short lived because of it though. Prius has had the feature for many years but no report of side effect.

My opinion is, you buy Mercedes to drive a Mercedes. If even the slightest hesitation plays a role as a result of this "new technology", it does not belong in a Mercedes. My previous car is another Mercedes that I've enjoyed for the last ten years. Surprisingly, it's never given me real problems until 2 weeks ago when the fuel pump stopped working at 140K. Still an amazing car to me! I can't imagine driving a new benz that's going to constantly start and stop for the next ten years.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by DerekACS
I also suspect that frequent re-starting of the engine may not be good for its service life.
That might be true for a cold start where most of the engine's wear and tear occurs, but with today's synthetic oil technology, a warm engine start is not really a big deal. Just wondering, did Mercedes upgrade the alternator and the battery to cope with the ***'s increase electrical demand.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:26 PM

99 E320, 16 E350
Originally Posted by DerekACS
Wow, talk about an over the top reaction !

Since you don't like the auto-stop-start (***) feature, just remember to push in the eco button (green light, centre dash !) after you start up the car. Your problem is solved !!!!

By the way, the *** has been incorporated in many new cars; it's not unique to Mercedes. The main benefit of *** is to reduce vehicle emissions while cars are stuck in traffic. *** will also reduce fuel consumption by a very minor amount.

The downsides to *** are likely to be a shortened life for the starter, although MB claims that the starter was redesigned to cope with more frequent usage. I also suspect that frequent re-starting of the engine may not be good for its service life.

*** just sounds like state-of-the-art. To me it's no different than an auto start feature incorporated into car alarms nearly two decades ago.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
*** just sounds like state-of-the-art. To me it's no different than an auto start feature incorporated into car alarms nearly two decades ago.
If you are talking about remote starter, the two technology is not even remotely the same.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by The G Man
If you are talking about remote starter, the two technology is not even remotely the same.
Exactly. This thread is laughable ... The op has not done his own research into how this actually works. Like mentioned above, hit the Eco button when you start the car and you won't have to vent your anger on this board:

Under the microscope: ECO start/stop: Sophisticated technology gives the highest levels of efficiency
The engine goes off when the vehicle is stationary and back on again when the brake is released – in practice the ECO start/stop system operates virtually unnoticed by the driver. This is all thanks to complex control functions which run in the background to ensure efficiency, comfort and safety.
How the ECO start/stop system works in detail: as a general principle, the engine is switched off every time the vehicle comes to a standstill (auto-stop function. Restarting the engine (auto-starting function) takes place almost imperceptibly; and moving off without any noticeable time lag compared to a stationary vehicle with its engine running. This rapid action is attributable to two special features: a crankshaft Hall sensor which is able to identify the rotational direction of the crankshaft enables the engine control unit to identify the cylinder in which the piston is ideally positioned for starting. The fuel is injected into this cylinder first, thereby speeding up the starting process. An additional electric transmission oil pump supplies the clutches of the automatic transmission with oil pressure prior to starting, so as to enable a swift resumption of the journey after direct starting of the combustion engine via the ECO start/stop function. The starter motor (starter) has also undergone thorough modification: it is now designed to cope with eight times as many starting procedures, ensuring that it will last a car's lifetime in continuous urban driving involving frequent auto-starting. In addition, the on-board electrical system is supported by a second battery.
Preconditions for the ECO start/stop function
It is not always expedient for the engine to be shut down automatically when the vehicle comes to a standstill. The auto-stop function will therefore only be initiated if a number of conditions are met:
1. The combustion engine must have attained the necessary operating
parameters (e.g. the minimum coolant temperature).
2. The relevant conditions relating to the vehicle must be met (e.g. sufficient voltage in the on-board electrical system, the interior climate has been regulated following the key start, the accumulator for the air suspension or brake system is sufficiently full). And the vehicle must be stationary, of course.
3. The relevant conditions relating to the driver must be met: the transmission selector lever must be set to D or N; no movement of the accelerator or the steering wheel; the driver's foot must be on the brake or the HOLD function must be active; the doors must be closed, the driver's seat belt must be fastened and the bonnet must be closed.
4. The ECO start/stop must not have been switched off via the ECO button.
5. Relevant speeds must have been exceeded after starting with the ignition key or during manoeuvring, for example.
Auto-starting takes place when the engine is in auto-stop mode, i.e. when the engine has been shut down via the engine-stop function and the ignition remains switched on. One of the following conditions must also be met:
The accelerator pedal is pressed.
Position "R" is selected on the transmission.
The transmission selector lever is moved out of position "P".
The brake pedal is released and Hold is not activated and the parking brake is released and the transmission selector lever is not set to "P".
The ECO start/stop function is switched off via the ECO switch.
The vehicle begins to roll.
A function linked to running of the engine, e.g. raising of the ride height, is activated by the driver.
But the start/stop function can think beyond that: it is also able to start the engine automatically as an intelligent comfort and safety function. The engine control unit starts the engine automatically, without any intervention on the part of the driver, when one of the following conditions is met:
A vehicle-related precondition for the auto-stop function, such as the conditions pertaining to air conditioning, the on-board electrical system, the brake system, the chassis and other vehicle-related influences, is no longer met.
The driver releases his seat belt or opens the driver's door. Automatic starting takes place in order to prompt the driver to actively switch off the engine by turning the ignition key to position 0, prior to leaving the vehicle. This ensures that the ECO start/stop system is safely deactivated when the vehicle is parked.
To provide the driver of the CLS with the necessary assurance that the ECO start/stop function is working at all times, the availability of the auto-stop function is indicated by the ECO symbol on the multifunction display of the
instrument cluster:
Green = all conditions are met, engine will be shut down when the vehicle stops.
Yellow = ECO is active, but conditions are not met.
No ECO symbol displayed = ECO is switched off or has been deactivated due to an error.
The following users liked this post:
07slk 280 (10-09-2016)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
I don't like the feature, my wife does. Button solves the problem.

But I do have to wonder if battery and starter life will be affected in the long run. I have to think so, in theory. Will I notice it? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm glad they left us the option to turn it off, but I do wish they had taken the BMW approach and allowed a choice to stand until changed, rather than only acting for the current driving session. They probably had to set the default to "ECO On" in order to meet some economy/emission target.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:41 PM

99 E320, 16 E350
What's really laughable is the "ECO start/stop: Sophisticated technology gives the highest levels of efficiency".

Bottom line is it only starts and stops and it's a bit of an inconvenience to my daily driving habits, which I also see that it does for others too. So please stop promoting the simple start/stop feature by writing all the technicalities. Even the auto start feature has a detailed list of all the functions associated with it. It doesn't justify anything.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Find Dbldpr posts on here to permanently disable this feature. MB agreed to have the feature automatically turn on at each start up to avoid trouble with the Eco Police.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by SteveE400
I don't like the feature, my wife does. Button solves the problem.

But I do have to wonder if battery and starter life will be affected in the long run. I have to think so, in theory. Will I notice it? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm glad they left us the option to turn it off, but I do wish they had taken the BMW approach and allowed a choice to stand until changed, rather than only acting for the current driving session. They probably had to set the default to "ECO On" in order to meet some economy/emission target.
I would say the starter is probably more than capable and can live up to the task. The increase electrical demand might be a difference story. All these modern day luxury sedans are battery hogs anyways even without the additional electrical demand of the ***. Mercedes seem to have taken a more conservation approach to the *** system. The criteria for shutting off the engine are more stringent than some other manufacturers. As far as needing to meet some economy/emission target, I am sure BMW has the same target they need to meet as well. When BMW first came out with the *** system, it would reset to eco after you shut off the engine, just like Mercedes. After 2 or 3 years of customer complaints, BMW reprogrammed their new cars in later year to have that retentive *** function. Another good move by BMW was that they offer to re-program all the older cars with *** to have that retentive function as well free of charge.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

What's really laughable is the "ECO start/stop: Sophisticated technology gives the highest levels of efficiency".

Bottom line is it only starts and stops and it's a bit of an inconvenience to my daily driving habits, which I also see that it does for others too. So please stop promoting the simple start/stop feature by writing all the technicalities. Even the auto start feature has a detailed list of all the functions associated with it. It doesn't justify anything.
Please be more educated before buying a $50,000 car and please use the search as this is the 1000th thread on Eco, you haven't discovered any conspiracy

I listed the features and how it works because apparently you can't google this before you post your drivel on this forum. Maybe this is therapeutic for you, not sure

Sorry again your so angry with your decision ...hopefully you have a better day
Old 10-21-2015, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Please be more educated before buying a $50,000 car and please use the search as this is the 1000th thread on Eco, you haven't discovered any conspiracy

I listed the features and how it works because apparently you can't google this before you post your drivel on this forum. Maybe this is therapeutic for you, not sure

I must admit, I have never seen anyone so angry having to push a button.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Just bought a new E350 last Sunday. The salesperson never mentioned about this new eco feature and I don't like what it does. Not to brag either, but I consider myself a little more than just a backyard mechanic, and I know this can't be good for the car in the long run. Prior to test driving it, I was told to push on a few buttons underneath the screen and I bet one of the buttons were to disable eco mode. So while driving it, everything seemed just fine, car never shuts off at a stop, beautiful ride. After the deal fall through, I drive the car home and notice the start/stop feature, Stupid! I've always thought what idiots would allow this feature, defaults at every start of the car, to be apart of a nice and rather expensive ride? I laugh every time they pull up next to me at a stop and it shuts off. I forgot to mention, creeping into my garage on a slight incline just breaks my heart. So I call the guy and he says that it'll save you 30% each time you fill up. I responded by saying it looks more like a 30% reduction in the lifespan of the car! They must have ran out technology or something, is that even possible? But unless they have an option to reverse the default, I'm bringing this thing back to the stealership. UNBELIEVABLE!
Sorry but this post is hilarious-- youre more-than-a-backyard mechanic...

When are you bringing it back to the stealership ... They stole your money right because you didn't want to buy the car in the first place and you knew all about this advanced vehicle because you're more than a backyard (lol) mechanic

Keep your posts coming my guys are getting a kick out of this !!
/// M (05-22-2020)
Old 10-21-2015, 03:23 PM

99 E320, 16 E350

It's get confrontational of course, thanks man. You responded to the 1000th thread on Eco, didn't you?

Last edited by tonyE350; 10-21-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:33 PM

99 E320, 16 E350
Sorry but this post is hilarious-- youre more-than-a-backyard mechanic...

When are you bringing it back to the stealership ... They stole your money right because you didn't want to buy the car in the first place and you knew all about this advanced vehicle because you're more than a backyard (lol) mechanic

Keep your posts coming my guys are getting a kick out of this !!

This is what you expect from the new gens driving Benz, educational drivers on a $50k Benz, Lol. We drive Benz, kiddo.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
This is what you expect from the new gens driving Benz, educational drivers on a $50k Benz, Lol. We drive Benz, kiddo.
I am sorry but a lot of buyers like this features, myself included. In my opinion, driving a modern luxury car means that it should have the latest modern technology, and *** is a one of those technologies. Some people like the technology and some don't, but I don't think anyone have been as angry about it as you have. Like all new technologies, it takes a while to get use to and adopt to it, give it sometime before you jump to any conclusion.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Don't trust it.

Read the stickys on Bulletins and Service at beginning of this forum. Then look at the similar stickys on all the MB forums on this website. Look at all the electronic and other problems that pop up on this site alone. Then add in all the other MB forums, other MB websites and millions who do not participate in forums for even more problems.
MB doesn't really care about what happens in 48 months/50,000 miles because the warranty will be up. Unless you purchase an extended warranty and then affected parts would be considered normal wear and tear at your expense.
If MB really believed in it, they would warrant it and every component possibly affected for 10 years/100,000 miles or more.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
If my next car has the ECO stop start, I will be disconnecting it by what ever way is possible. I have had dealer loaners equipped with it and I turned it off every time I entered the car. If I wanted to go ECO I would buy an electric car or a hybrid. Don't force it on me. I like my Denali with its 6.2 V8 445 hp weighing over 3 tons. And I bought my AMG for the speed and sound, not for it to be turned off at every stop.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:25 PM

99 E320, 16 E350
Originally Posted by The G Man
I am sorry but a lot of buyers like this features, myself included. In my opinion, driving a modern luxury car means that it should have the latest modern technology, and *** is a one of those technologies. Some people like the technology and some don't, but I don't think anyone have been as angry about it as you have. Like all new technologies, it takes a while to get use to and adopt to it, give it sometime before you jump to any conclusion.

The latest modern technology is not ***, you've got to be joking. Further improving the efficiency of internal combustion engines to better the fuel economy is what I expect, not a simple on/off switch. You probably think it's cool and classy, cause it's new when you first heard of this from a vehicle who pulled up beside you. But hey, I myself have driven cars in the past where I put on everything that I thought was cool, so I understand. But since driving a benz ten years ago, other than a nice smooth ride, great handling, looks, and drives like a benz, I've left everything the way it was. It just wasn't so appealing to me any more to add the unnecessary stuff.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
if nobody can say it I will...OP is a BIG IDIOT!

1st, did the dealership put a gun on your head while you made the purchase? NO

2nd, did you do your homework before you made the purchase? NO
youre probably like a kid with a new toy when you sat on the driver side for the first time since its so different from your old MB with all the new technology. "where do i sign? where do i sign?!"

3rd, comparing technology from 20 yrs ago to now?! and youve got the guts to mention youre a mechanic?! BACKYARD MECHANIC. did oil change on your corolla 10 yrs ago and you consider yourself a mechanic? BS. return the car to the dealership and get yourself a korean car for f*%ks sake!

EL CID: not once have I seen you post something nice about MB, i wont be surprised if your next post will be about how good your hyundai genesis is. what are you guys still doin here at MB forum?

i understand that this is what forums are for. but to come to a party and bash the host. thats not right. whiners are wieners!

PS: all cars have their own pros and cons, its just up to the buyer to see if the pros outweighs the cons. now if you want a perfect car... BUILD ONE YOURSELF!

Last edited by beejAMG; 10-21-2015 at 04:54 PM.
/// M (05-22-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: MERCEDES BUYERS, BEWARE THE ECO NIGHTMARE!