Convince me an E Series is better than a 5 Series BMW or Audi A6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Yep!
My son has my dad's old 2000 A6, and the seats are superb.
Had one too and also thought the comfort was awesome.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
If you plan to obtain a brand new MB, why do not order it with leather? The option isn't very expensive. If you want to save money, then yes, you have to deal with cheap vinyl cover.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Originally Posted by Dema
If you plan to obtain a brand new MB, why do not order it with leather? The option isn't very expensive. If you want to save money, then yes, you have to deal with cheap vinyl cover.
I think the reason most do not order exactly the way they want is because dealers will discount the vehicles they already have in stock, but negotiating a discount on a custom order car would likely be very difficult. So in the end, that one "not so expensive" option you really want would end up being very expensive due to paying full price on the car. Often it's even cheaper to get a higher trim level already on the lot than to custom order something with less options. A lot of it may be patience as well. People get in the mindset of wanting a new car right now just because they're excited, or want to get it over with.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Is very expensive

Originally Posted by Dema
I ordered my "E" and while I could easily have afforded the leather facings, it was about $1,500 in 2010. That is very expensive for something that is more image than fact. Have had cars with leather and it is less durable than vinyl and requires a lot more maintenance. In additon, most of the seat covers, etc. are still vinyl, even in leather cars. Some leather on door panels, but not all of it.
Incidentally, the vinyl in a MB is not "cheap."
Why can't people just let others decide for themselves which is better for them?
Happy Holidays and Happy Motoring regardless of the seat covers in your car.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I think it is a major problem of most people hard to decide him/herself. It is why people visit the forum to get opinion of other people. Certain things like durability of leather or vinyl is hard to figure just by look and touch. It is why people ask us who carry the experience. I can say that leather isn't less durable. I owned e430 with leather for over 12 years, I have small kids and all sizes dogs, and I didn't have any single issue with seat cover. I had ash interior, and I could always clean leather returning an original look. I have nothing against vinyl in term of durability, however touch and feel do not give the luxury feeling I expect from a car I pay so much.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
After 5 years with my E350, no issues with the leather at all. No rips, tears, seam splits scratches or cuts. I have also seen many an MBTex seat and think they look great too. Don't know about the breathability or the heat component as it has been about 30 years since I owned a car with vinyl seats. If I recall, those were pretty comfortable too. I think this is probably more a personal preference issue. I would opt for the multi-contour however. The seats in the 2010 are awesome. I assume that they have not changed much in later years?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Good leather is nice, but having two MB-Tex cars, I am quite impressed with the material.
I do like the perfed in the E better then the non-perfed in the GL.
I miss the leather in my first Gen Rang Rovers, but the stuff in my Honda looked worn fairly quickly.
Since I buy used, I get what I get. I would not spend a lot more on leather, but given the option, I would take it.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Coupe
Why you Should buy a E550 Coupe

Hello,
To be honest, I truly believe that MB built a E550 Coupe AMG, straight from the factory. You say how can I say this, well for starters, the 402Hp statement is underated. Now I ask you to think about the fact that the C6 Z06 Corvette was rated at 405Hp. I'm not even going to get into Torque, why... because the E550 is running Twin Turbos. But let me share My personal experience with you, while in , "Economy Mode", on the way back to Plainfield,NJ from Charlotte,NC, I became involved between a race between a, "Rousch Mustang" and a "Subaru WRX", which was also, modified, he had custom pipes coming out of the bac that any fool could see he spent serious money on his exhaust system. So of course, running behind them and watching the Mustang wax the Hell out of the WRX, I just had to jump in and find out , where my girl stood !!!! Okay, you know the drill, you pull up aside each other, "NOD", and back down to 30 or 40 MPH, and the 1,2,3, count. First run, Mustang gets the Jump, but I am right there on the drivers door and he ain't getting away. Second run, it's beautiful, we both launched together, we are nose to nose, "Head to Head", it was Fu_king Georgeous !!! My GOD, I LOVE the Sound of that Mustang Exhaust !!!!! Okay, meanwhile back at the ranch, we are nose to nose, when he runs out of gears, I start to nose out , Decisively !!!! Third run, he got the jump on me again, but once again, I was right there on his left front wheel and he was not going anywhere, until we had to shut down.
So I say you, if you think you can do that with a Stock Bimmer, Go BUY it !!! I will shut you down in a Heartbeat !!!! Trust that and I have not even begin to tune her yet and I did this in, "Economy Mode" !!!! Hey like I said, I'll SMOKE YOU, in your Bimmer, I"ll take on a M6, as soon as I can, running stock!!!! I LOVE My Machine !!!!!

Last edited by Twil008; 12-29-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:35 PM

2010 e350
I would be fine with the mb tex if my drivers seat didn't rip all the way across. I have had probably 20 different cars between me and my wife and kinds over the last 30 years and the only other car to have a ripped seat was my 1990 300zx which the previous owner forgot to put the t top on and let it get wet, leather shrank up and split the seams. Other than that, not honda, oldsmobile, ford, acura, bmw, audi, vw, volvo that I have owned has had a ripped up seat.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by Twil008
Hello,
To be honest, I truly believe that MB built a E550 Coupe AMG, straight from the factory. You say how can I say this, well for starters, the 402Hp statement is underated. Now I ask you to think about the fact that the C6 Z06 Corvette was rated at 405Hp. I'm not even going to get into Torque, why... because the E550 is running Twin Turbos. But let me share My personal experience with you, while in , "Economy Mode", on the way back to Plainfield,NJ from Charlotte,NC, I became involved between a race between a, "Rousch Mustang" and a "Subaru WRX", which was also, modified, he had custom pipes coming out of the bac that any fool could see he spent serious money on his exhaust system. So of course, running behind them and watching the Mustang wax the Hell out of the WRX, I just had to jump in and find out , where my girl stood !!!! Okay, you know the drill, you pull up aside each other, "NOD", and back down to 30 or 40 MPH, and the 1,2,3, count. First run, Mustang gets the Jump, but I am right there on the drivers door and he ain't getting away. Second run, it's beautiful, we both launched together, we are nose to nose, "Head to Head", it was Fu_king Georgeous !!! My GOD, I LOVE the Sound of that Mustang Exhaust !!!!! Okay, meanwhile back at the ranch, we are nose to nose, when he runs out of gears, I start to nose out , Decisively !!!! Third run, he got the jump on me again, but once again, I was right there on his left front wheel and he was not going anywhere, until we had to shut down.
So I say you, if you think you can do that with a Stock Bimmer, Go BUY it !!! I will shut you down in a Heartbeat !!!! Trust that and I have not even begin to tune her yet and I did this in, "Economy Mode" !!!! Hey like I said, I'll SMOKE YOU, in your Bimmer, I"ll take on a M6, as soon as I can, running stock!!!! I LOVE My Machine !!!!!
Be careful the fun police frown upon such things on this forum. I love it though
Old 12-30-2015, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Try Sport mode! and then drop a tune on it and you'll probably destroy the Mustang, although the best time at the strip posted here with a custom tune and lots of mods was only about a half-second better than my best run as stock.

I loved showing up my buddy with his WRX STI XYZ.... whatever. He's put tons of mods and tune on it and I blew his doors right off at the drag strip while cruising in near silence and total comfort.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 E63 AMG S SEDAN, 2010 E550 SEDAN
Originally Posted by jonUF02
Try Sport mode! and then drop a tune on it and you'll probably destroy the Mustang, although the best time at the strip posted here with a custom tune and lots of mods was only about a half-second better than my best run as stock.

I loved showing up my buddy with his WRX STI XYZ.... whatever. He's put tons of mods and tune on it and I blew his doors right off at the drag strip while cruising in near silence and total comfort.
The mustang the Bonafide P.O.S.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by jahquan3
Be careful the fun police frown upon such things on this forum. I love it though
I am surprise the grammar police haven't arrested him yet
Old 12-30-2015, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
OK this thread has really gotten off topic, then changed topics, and degenerated further...

An E-class is better than a 5-series which is better than an A6.

Leather is better than MB-Tex (my first Benz had tex which ripped and I never want that stuff again)

Any twin-turbo 550 will out gun a WRX or stock mustang (Although my local Dyno tuner specializes in tuning mustangs and his souped up versions out muscled my C63 507 on the dyno - the build quality/interiors are junk, but if you just wanna go fast...)
Old 12-30-2015, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Twil008
Hello,

The OP was asking about E Class sedans not a pretty two door C class.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
Originally Posted by rediesel
OK this thread has really gotten off topic, then changed topics, and degenerated further...

An E-class is better than a 5-series which is better than an A6.

Leather is better than MB-Tex (my first Benz had tex which ripped and I never want that stuff again)

Any twin-turbo 550 will out gun a WRX or stock mustang (Although my local Dyno tuner specializes in tuning mustangs and his souped up versions out muscled my C63 507 on the dyno - the build quality/interiors are junk, but if you just wanna go fast...)
Raced with few WRX, and Mustang they all dropped their jaw.
Mine is tuned, so, its not fair to them...
Old 12-31-2015, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Funny story this morning coming into work I end up behind a BMW with "AMG LOL" as the license plate. I was right behind him so I started LOL and hitting the steering wheel to show him I was laughing out loud HA HA.
Then he takes off but it's not the kind of highway that you can really speed much on so eventually I end up right behind him without really trying and I proceeded to LOL even more. I think it was an M4 but it was debadged and I'm not the best at eyeing what type of BMW I see if it doesn't have the badge. My phone crashes when I try to take pics so I couldn't even get a pic. It was priceless. If anyone lives in the Bergen County area of NJ (Paramus specifically) you might have seen this same dude. The hate must be real to put that on your license plate

I wonder is it really that serious that BMW and MB guys dislike each others cars that much to do such a thing? Have any of you seen similar angst in your area?

Last edited by jahquan3; 12-31-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Additional sentence
Old 12-31-2015, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I searched Google and this is the same guy right here. If you search "AMG LOL" license plate it'll come up as you scroll down. I see there are a bunch of them. I don't know what kind of BMW this is can someone tell me with more knowledge of the body types? Sorry for going off topic but this was hilarious MB and BMW fanboyism .
Old 12-31-2015, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
That's not a M4, it is a 650i. It will give you a good run for your money, that V8TT engine puts out 445 horsepower and 480 lb-ft. of torque.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The G Man
That's not a M4, it is a 650i. It will give you a good run for your money, that V8TT engine puts out 445 horsepower and 480 lb-ft. of torque.

Ok, I see when he punched it, it was moving. My E550 can't really hang with that since mines is NA 5.5 stock. I'm sure an E63 would smoke it though.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Ok, I see when he punched it, it was moving. My E550 can't really hang with that since mines is NA 5.5 stock. I'm sure an E63 would smoke it though.

An easy way to tell if it is an BMW M car or not is that they usually have quad pipes. The E63 should beat the 650i and even give the M6 a good run for its money. Check out this compare:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/12/...cs-comparison/
Old 12-31-2015, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

An easy way to tell if it is an BMW M car or not is that they usually have quad pipes. The E63 should beat the 650i and even give the M6 a good run for its money. Check out this compare:

Good quick read, thanks. That new Caddy looks and sounds like it'll be a great ride.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:13 PM

My tuned E550 walked on it few months ago.
so, E63 will walk on it for sure.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cocobeex
My tuned E550 walked on it few months ago.
so, E63 will walk on it for sure.
This same guy or another 650i?
Old 12-31-2015, 02:13 PM

This same guy or another 650i?
Not the same guy.
Its another 650i

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Convince me an E Series is better than a 5 Series BMW or Audi A6