E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Fast forward/rewind on COMAND

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2016 | 02:21 AM

2013 Mercedes E350
Fast forward/rewind on COMAND

Hi guys,

Just want to see if anybody has any other ideas. To fast forward or rewind a song when playing an MP3 file, either through USB or memory card, I hold down the skip forward/reverse button on the dashboard. Or I use the control knob on the center console and push it right and hold for fast forward, and push left and hold for fast reverse. The problem is, it is SO slow. It doesn't progressively go faster like most other fast forward/reverse systems do. It just goes along at a linear speed, which is like 10 seconds at a time. When I listen to a downloaded podcast that is an hour long, and I want to fast forward to the last 15 minutes for example, I have to hold the skip forward button for what seems like eternity until my arm is sore. Any other ideas? Seems like a pretty dumb oversight to me to not make it go progressively faster as you hold the buttons down.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2016 | 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
I don't think there is anyway around it. I use the buttons on the dash since the comand knob feels like it can break easily if overly used.
Old 01-26-2016 | 02:48 PM
pmm

2019 E450 4Matic Cabriolet, Dune Silver Metallic / Black Leather
I'm a heavy podcast listener and have yet to find a way to FF other than holding the button on the dash for an eternity. It gives me something to do at a stoplight.
Old 01-26-2016 | 11:15 PM

2013 Mercedes E350
Thanks guys for the responses. I guess we're stuck. I'm afraid that one of these days, the button on the dash is going to break from being pressed continuously forever. Even my $10 MP3 player can do fast fwd better than this.
Old 01-31-2016 | 05:28 PM

E 250
Originally Posted by pmm
I'm a heavy podcast listener and have yet to find a way to FF other than holding the button on the dash for an eternity. It gives me something to do at a stoplight.
If you use iOS, try Overcast for podcasts. It advances/goes back when you press the |>| buttons. They move backwards or forwards at 30 second intervals. You can change the interval in settings but, smartly, if you tap successively, Overcast will move you faster.

It's worth switching for this.
Old 02-02-2016 | 01:03 AM

2013 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by michael61
If you use iOS, try Overcast for podcasts. It advances/goes back when you press the |>| buttons. They move backwards or forwards at 30 second intervals. You can change the interval in settings but, smartly, if you tap successively, Overcast will move you faster.

It's worth switching for this.
Thanks Michael. But I was asking about the media that you play through USB or memory card or the internal hard drive. The COMAND media player is just painfully lacking in some areas like what I mentioned.
Old 02-03-2016 | 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
If you just tap (don't hold) the FF or REW button, it advances one complete song or goes back to beginning of one to which you are listening. Tap twice and it goes 2 forward or back two, etc. Works for CD's and Music Register.
Old 02-03-2016 | 11:39 PM

2013 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by El Cid
If you just tap (don't hold) the FF or REW button, it advances one complete song or goes back to beginning of one to which you are listening. Tap twice and it goes 2 forward or back two, etc. Works for CD's and Music Register.
Thanks for responding, but I was talking about fast forwarding within a track (song). Not skipping entire songs. I copied my podcasts onto a memory card and listen to them. It would be nice if the FF or REW functions go faster than a few seconds at a time. You have to hold the buttons down forever to get to, let's say, 45 min. mark.