Service B1 Due and Check Engine Light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E550 4MATIC RENNtech Tune
I just found time to check the code.

P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

The Check Engine Light did not come on since it cleared itself.

I used the ODB2 tool to manually clear the code just now after the fact.

Anything I need to do? The car has 58K miles on it so I doubt that any spark plugs need changing. If the light doesn't come on again I won't worry about it.

On another note.. Often my ESC gets disabled in my car throwing it into limp mode. Do you guys know if these OBD2 tools read such codes? It's either the tool doesn't read them or my ESC issue is not throwing any codes, which would suck as it would confuse the dealer. Maybe the dealer has stronger tools though.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Not saying the plugs are bad, but MB does require plug changes at 6/60k per the maintenance manual. Not saying that's the problem either as that kind of diagnosis is beyond me.

I think the OBD2 code reader can only read stored codes and a feature not working like ESC may not trigger such a code. However, MB can further diagnose.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch
Not saying the plugs are bad, but MB does require plug changes at 6/60k per the maintenance manual. Not saying that's the problem either as that kind of diagnosis is beyond me.

I think the OBD2 code reader can only read stored codes and a feature not working like ESC may not trigger such a code. However, MB can further diagnose.
Yes, I am hoping the plugs are fine and that this was a fluke incident. I probably won't go by the manual on this one.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
I've had several misfire codes and each time it was plugs or ignition coil. So I replaced all of the spark plugs. Funny thing is I just got a CEL over the weekend. I've already replaced 4 ignition coils so I have 4 more to replace I'm thinking that's whats causing the newest CEL. I took it to Benz this morning and they charged me $299 just to diagnose lol. I just can't with the buffoonery. STS charges only $99 to do the same diagnosis, so I will never be taking my car back there for that price again. I'm waiting to see what they find out but I have 2 new coils sitting in the car so I won't have to get ripped off and pay whatever ridiculous price they try and charge me. STS charges $150 per coil and Pep Boys sales them for $50. I'm sure MB will charge $200ish
Old 02-22-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by jahquan3
I've had several misfire codes and each time it was plugs or ignition coil. So I replaced all of the spark plugs. Funny thing is I just got a CEL over the weekend. I've already replaced 4 ignition coils so I have 4 more to replace I'm thinking that's whats causing the newest CEL. I took it to Benz this morning and they charged me $299 just to diagnose lol. I just can't with the buffoonery. STS charges only $99 to do the same diagnosis, so I will never be taking my car back there for that price again. I'm waiting to see what they find out but I have 2 new coils sitting in the car so I won't have to get ripped off and pay whatever ridiculous price they try and charge me. STS charges $150 per coil and Pep Boys sales them for $50. I'm sure MB will charge $200ish
The dealer is really a rip off. I can even tell when I call them and ask them about something. All they say for every single issue is "bring it in, we need to look at it"..some of then I can tell know what's wrong but will hold back in saying anything.I rather just wait to see if my issue reoccurs than get ripped off immediately lol. $299 just to diagnose? I think they assume all of us are millionaires because of what we drive...ridiculous..unfortunately I will probably have to see the dealer soon because of my ESC issue..that's a complicated one that I don't think will get fixed at an indy shop..the price of owning a Benz I guess!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by g4benz
The dealer is really a rip off. I can even tell when I call them and ask them about something. All they say for every single issue is "bring it in, we need to look at it"..some of then I can tell know what's wrong but will hold back in saying anything.I rather just wait to see if my issue reoccurs than get ripped off immediately lol. $299 just to diagnose? I think they assume all of us are millionaires because of what we drive...ridiculous..unfortunately I will probably have to see the dealer soon because of my ESC issue..that's a complicated one that I don't think will get fixed at an indy shop..the price of owning a Benz I guess!
Yeah it can be a bit much. I've just dumped about 1k in maintenance(Brakes, coils, etc.) so it irks me to spend that additional 300 after I just had it at dealer like a week ago and paid $200 to have trans looked at and trans fluid topped off. My wife be looking at me like I'm a fool with the way I baby this car lol. I wish you luck and keep me in the loop. I'll also report back what they tell me when I get the dreaded call today.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just got car back. They said previously installed ignition coil had an electrical faulty/ open circuit so they replaced that. Also two spark plugs had to be removed and reinstalled. Next it says shutoff value of the activation charcoal canister stick in close position. Performed activation of charcoal canister value operation now ok.

Total was $440 since I provided the ignition coil they charge $161 I got it for $50.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jahquan3
Just got car back. They said previously installed ignition coil had an electrical faulty/ open circuit so they replaced that. Also two spark plugs had to be removed and reinstalled. Next it says shutoff value of the activation charcoal canister stick in close position. Performed activation of charcoal canister value operation now ok.

Total was $440 since I provided the ignition coil they charge $161 I got it for $50.
Glad it was taken care of, despite the money you needed to spend.