E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY Oil change comment and oil filter with pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e550
DIY Oil change comment and oil filter with pics

OK, Just came up on 56,xxx on my 2010 E550, B svc. Time for the oil change.
Lots of discussion on using a suction device vs old school and the difference in filters.
I do it the old fashion way. Run it up on ramps, using the air lift feature for more clearance. Drop the two belly pans with the 8mm screws and the two 7mm up front (why MB?) and it gives great access. Then, I think, a 15mm for the drain plug. Then patience as all that oil runs out.
I purchased the oil on the interweb at about $8/qt, 2 boxes of 6, and then purchased the oil filter from the local dealership and then purchased the Mann filter from AutohausAZ. About a 30% savings. I did this last year but still had a lingering doubt about the similarity or as it turns out the sameness.
As you can see from the pictures they are the same filter and accessories. I did get a new copper/brass washer from the dealer. But the old one did not leak.
Anyway, filled it up through the oil filter housing to 8 qts, reassembled, and fired it up and checked oil level. Reattached the pans after checking for any leaks and came down off the ramps and rechecked the oil level.
About an hour start to finish.
Once again, this method can be done in your garage without anything fancy and it allows for an inspection of the bottom of the engine compartment and front suspension and transmission. Might save a few hundred, just saying
Attached Thumbnails DIY Oil change comment and oil filter with pics-img_1096.jpg   DIY Oil change comment and oil filter with pics-img_1097.jpg   DIY Oil change comment and oil filter with pics-img_1098.jpg  
Old 02-21-2016, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by bsccp
OK, Just came up on 56,xxx on my 2010 E550, B svc. Time for the oil change.
Lots of discussion on using a suction device vs old school and the difference in filters.
I do it the old fashion way. Run it up on ramps, using the air lift feature for more clearance. Drop the two belly pans with the 8mm screws and the two 7mm up front (why MB?) and it gives great access. Then, I think, a 15mm for the drain plug. Then patience as all that oil runs out.
I purchased the oil on the interweb at about $8/qt, 2 boxes of 6, and then purchased the oil filter from the local dealership and then purchased the Mann filter from AutohausAZ. About a 30% savings. I did this last year but still had a lingering doubt about the similarity or as it turns out the sameness.
As you can see from the pictures they are the same filter and accessories. I did get a new copper/brass washer from the dealer. But the old one did not leak.
Anyway, filled it up through the oil filter housing to 8 qts, reassembled, and fired it up and checked oil level. Reattached the pans after checking for any leaks and came down off the ramps and rechecked the oil level.
About an hour start to finish.
Once again, this method can be done in your garage without anything fancy and it allows for an inspection of the bottom of the engine compartment and front suspension and transmission. Might save a few hundred, just saying

If you are doing this yourself to save money you can improve some.

The engine takes 9 gt oil so you paid $72 for the oil. Walmart sells the Mobil 0W-40 oil for about $26 for a 5gt jug so you can get 10 qt of the oil for $52 and it leaves 1 qt extra to top off if needed until the next oil change.

What comes to the "old fashion" way of doing the oil change it is not even possible on the new cars anymore. An indy MB shop told me the 2016 models don't even have the drain plug and the only way to change oil is to suck it out thru the dip stick hole so as MB has gone to this method it is safe to assume anybody can. But you do it as you like to do it.

I got me a Mityvac and I can say oil change does not get any easier than it is with it.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e550
Oil

Technically the MB recommended is Mobil 1 5-40W M. Walmart does not carry it in my part of the world. I like Mobil 1 and have run it in multiple vehicles but I try and be aware of specific manufacturer recommendations for whatever reasons.
I have a MightyVac also and it's a great tool.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Technically the MB recommended is Mobil 1 5-40W M. Walmart does not carry it in my part of the world. I like Mobil 1 and have run it in multiple vehicles but I try and be aware of specific manufacturer recommendations for whatever reasons.

Well, somehow I thought the oil they recommend is 0W-40 and this is what I use for My 2010 E550.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
My owners manual specifies only the MB spec numbers 229.X. It states to use only 0w40 or 5w40 for AMG engines, but otherwise you are for fine with any viscosity as long as it meets the spec.

0w40 is a better grade than 5w40 all around. I've been using 0W in my vehicles exclusively for several years.