E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

e350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by El Cid
If you really want to know about a specific vehicle, call MB Customer Assistance and have your VIN ready. They will check it out for you. Got another confirmation today even though I didn't actually requst it. NO Recall.
Try this link. You can do the VIN or fill in the blanks and it brings up a list of the precise models/dates of MB cars affected. The E350 Sedan, RWD is NOT listed.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues
Site also says information is provided to them by MBUSA.
RWD is included. Sold a RWD 2010 E350 sport just a month or so ago, and that VIN is included in the recall.

Most reporting says only 2010-2011 E350 are involved, but wouldn't you think that 2012 were already in production by Sep 2011 (see post #22 above)? Obviously we don't have all the info yet. Stay tuned.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Incorrect?

Originally Posted by Cao Black
RWD is included. Sold a RWD 2010 E350 sport just a month or so ago, and that VIN is included in the recall.

Most reporting says only 2010-2011 E350 are involved, but wouldn't you think that 2012 were already in production by Sep 2011 (see post #22 above)?
Obviously we don't have all the info yet. Stay tuned.
What is your source?
Interesting. My dealer says no. Two different sources at MBUSA say no. Two different sites at NHTSA say no. At least for my 2010 E350 sedan. By VIN and by model and year.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:01 PM

2015 ML350+2021 E350
What is your source?
Interesting. My dealer says no. Two different sources at MBUSA say no. Two different sites at NHTSA say no. At least for my 2010 E350 sedan. By VIN and by model and year.
Both MBUSA and NHTSA sites show the VIN as NHTSA Recall #16V081. It's listed as "Incomplete. Remedy not yet available". So I wouldn't exclude RWD just yet.

The recall says "Takata is aware of four test ruptures in ballistic tests of non-desiccated PSDI-5 inflators. Takata is not aware of any field incidents in which a PSDI-5 inflator has ruptured, either desiccated or non-desiccated."

Yet according to other posters here, recall notices are being sent out.

Stay tuned. I still want to know if the PSDI-5 was used in passenger and side airbags.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Source please

[QUOTE=Cao Black;6726996]Both MBUSA and NHTSA sites show the VIN as NHTSA Recall #16V081. It's listed as "Incomplete. Remedy not yet available". So I wouldn't exclude RWD just yet./QUOTE]

I cannot find the above on MBUSA or NHTSA sites. Do you have a link? I checked again and one NHTSA listing is not very specific. It does not specify RWD or Coupe vs. Sedan. However, on the link I listed above, it shows vehicles more specifically.
Still no listing on MBUSA site.
When you say "the VIN as Recall #16V081," wouldn't you have to input a specific VIN?
The NHTSA note also states that as of Feb. 12, they expected MB to furnish updated VIN's within a few days.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:28 PM

2015 ML350+2021 E350
Attachment 326221[QUOTE=El Cid;6727121]
Originally Posted by Cao Black
Both MBUSA and NHTSA sites show the VIN as NHTSA Recall #16V081. It's listed as "Incomplete. Remedy not yet available". So I wouldn't exclude RWD just yet./QUOTE]

I cannot find the above on MBUSA or NHTSA sites. Do you have a link? I checked again and one NHTSA listing is not very specific. It does not specify RWD or Coupe vs. Sedan. However, on the link I listed above, it shows vehicles more specifically.
Still no listing on MBUSA site.
When you say "the VIN as Recall #16V081," wouldn't you have to input a specific VIN?
The NHTSA note also states that as of Feb. 12, they expected MB to furnish updated VIN's within a few days.
This is becoming too complicated. Trust me, it is too early to eliminate RWD E350s from the mix. And, it may be to early to assume the recall only affects 2010 & 2011 cars.

See the attachment below for the results of entering my old VIN on the NHTSA site. I blocked out the last 2 numbers as I am hesitant to show the VIN since someone else owns that car now.

I was unable to link directly to the results of a VIN search on either MBUSA or NHTSA. Doing so takes you back to the page where you enter your VIN, not the page showing the results. Others may be better at making that link work.

You can also look up recalls on the NHTSA site by vehicle, rather than by VIN. For example, type in 2010, Mercedes Benz, E350 (don't choose the hyphenated "Mercedes-Benz", that is for Sprinter vans...go figure). The results will show the same recall. Look on the right for "2 associated documents" and read through them. One of them provides an extensive list (much of it posted already in other replies) of recalled Mercedes vehicles, including E class, and specifies if the model is a 350/550/E63. It further states if it is a 4Matic/Coupe/Cabriolet, with one exception. One model is simply listed as E350 or E550. I think it safe to assume they mean the 4dr RWD version, since they are so specific about the other models. Looking at the production dates associated with some of these model could imply that some cars beyond MY2011 may become included in the recall, since the production dates shown go into what would have been MY2012.

Hope this helps. If you aren't listed, more power to you. Be happy, don't worry, but...stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails e350-recall.jpg  
Old 03-03-2016, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
The assumption being made is that if nothing comes up, you're safe. There's no basis for that assumption based on what was posted.

It basically boils down to it's still too early to know for sure, for sure.

Look at the VW problem and how it's still not really resolved after all this time.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bottom line. The 2010-2011 E350 RWD is NOT included in any recall as of today. May be tomorrow or next week or next year.
It is likely that every manufacturer is going to have some cars subject to the air bag recall.
Anyone who has a concern about their car or a specific car should contact MBUSA or use their website and do a VIN search. You can also do a VIN search at NHTSA site. I have done it for three different vehicles by three different manufacturers.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just got a response from MBUSA. No stop sales notices from MBUSA on pre-owned cars. I specifically asked about 2010-2011 E Class.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
That settles it then; my dealer lied to me. I don't really expect anything different from a Stealership AND a used car salesman, so I can't say I'm surprised. Either way, to the OP, I still say the 2012+ is where to go. The new ones have direct injection, so should get better mileage (and POWAAAA!)... but it's all about what makes you happy in the end. In my case, the upgrade to the V8 biturbo makes me happy, regardless of being lied to about the trade in.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350 SPORT SEDAN, 2006 C280 4MATIC- SOLD 2009 FORD F-250, 2015 KIA OPTIMA HYBRID, 2013 MB E550
THE BEST LOOKING SPORTS SEDANS OUT THERE...

I AGREE SIR. YOU MENTIONED THAT YOU'VE HAD 13 REPAIRS TO YOURS, CAN YOU SUMMARIZE THOSE FOR ME?; MUCH THANKS.
ANY PHOTOS?

There are a multitude of issues on all MB cars, but fewer on E than others. This is same for many cars, especially European ones.
See stickys 2 and 3 on this thread. They are long, but contain a multitude of information. Actually, most of the posts on this thread usually involve an issue, but that's OK as that is how we keep each other informed. Classic case is fading burl walnut trim. If not for this site, many people would never have realized it was a problem and that MB had a TSB out on it.
Ironically, the 2010 W212's used to be lowest rated for reliability, but now they are more highly rated. Probably because all (or most) of the problems have now been fixed.
I counted up the other day. 13 "repairs" to my 2010 under warranty and 6 electronic gremlins that went away and never were identified.
Still like my car and plan to keep it until the first major ($1,000) repair. The early W212's are the best looking sport sedans out there.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Repairs/problems

Originally Posted by TYUS
I AGREE SIR. YOU MENTIONED THAT YOU'VE HAD 13 REPAIRS TO YOURS, CAN YOU SUMMARIZE THOSE FOR ME?; MUCH THANKS.
ANY PHOTOS?
Port or dealership left "goo" on the windshield and rear window when car delivered. Took special cleaner to get it off. I tried.
Power steering pump fitting (recall)
Peeling leather on leather part of leather & wood steering wheel. Repaired by dealership
Headlights set too low at factory
Noisy sunroof - greased by dealership. Actually been done three times. Occurs when roof gets very hot and I open roof.
Homelink (garage door opener) button tended to get stuck. Not repaired as part of the rear view mirror. Used another button as I only need one. I think it is because it is rubber fitting whereas most cars use hard plastic.
Easy entry/exit failed. This moves the steering wheel up & in when you get in or out and then returns it to your preset position. Had to replace something in the housing and then reconfigure computers. Took three days to get it done after the parts came in. I turned it off as I am the only one who drives the car and didn't really need it.
COMAND software updated-problems with Bluetooth connections.
Harness wiring replaced (recall)
Steering wheel replaced. The leather split.
COMAND software updated. Audio problems. Kept car three days. Multiple updates to make sure all available got done.
Burlwood trim replaced
On a couple of long trips there were several electrical gremlins. Cruise control would not resume, remote would not unlock car (not the remote itself), right side parking lights came on by themselves couple of times and at one time were blinking while car in garage at night. I almost never move the light switch, just use it in an auto mode. Have never used the parking lights at all. No problem codes or problems found by dealership.
Keeping my fingers crossed, but I am hoping this is the end of my problems as I plan to keep the car for a while longer and warranty expires in Nov.
Incidentally, I actually keep a list of all the problems I have reported to the dealer.