E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Bonnet won't open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes e250 amg sport.
Bonnet won't open

I have tried releasing the bonnet using the red leaver inside the car, once pulled it tells me that the bonnet is open on the dashboard but it will not release from the outside meaning I can't open it, I've noticed a release under the bonnet which I can acces from the outside via the front grill. But having tried to do release it that way but still no luck.

What else can I try?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2016, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Try having someone push down on the hood () while you pull the release lever from the inside. This could release pressure holding the latch.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:23 PM

Mercedes e250 amg sport.
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Try having someone push down on the hood () while you pull the release lever from the inside. This could release pressure holding the latch.

Thanks I will try that
Old 05-08-2018, 03:09 PM

E220 AMG W212
Thumbs up This is how it could be done

Hi All,
I eventually gave up and gave it to Mercedes . . . . Mercedes said both of mine had seized (so that would be why I could not move them).
Just in case yours is not seized . . . . (MB quote is £235 for cable and two latches, fitted and working).

Here is what I did and it might help someone:-

1. I removed the inner wheel arch covers on both sides.
2. I started on the OS (Driver UK).
3. If you "Stick" your head as far up as you can, inside the wheel arch, with a torch and look up under the hood towards the front, the lateral location is level with the inner hood separator of the grill and inner light point, you will see the underside of the hood latch.
4. You will then see on the underside of the latch a (grey) plastic cover with 2 tabs. Un-clip the tabs and slide down. You won't lose it as it has an electrical cable attached to it.
5. Once moved you will see the underside of the latch.
6. You will need to pull the underside of the latch towards you to release the bonnet, while some one pulls the bonnet open cable to release the catch that stops the latch from moving, or you can do this yourself, with pliers on the cable or your fingers/screwdriver on the cable release latch. (both of these "catches" move to the rear of the car).

A friend of mine had a kit that could be used to break in to a car and I tried pulling the latch with his hook but I could not move it because it had seized. My friend is a mechanic so needs these tool to help his customers.
On the NS (passenger side UK) you may need to remove the screen wash bottle for access. As the drivers side was proving impossible I did not attempt the passenger side as there would be no point.

Last edited by BlackJacks; 05-08-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Correction