w212 Sliding lid removal....help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350 2011 avantgarde
w212 Sliding lid removal....help!

Hello,

I need to replace the centre sliding lid from a Mercedes w212, has anyone been there before? I will really appreciate any suggestions since there are no videos nor explanations anywhere out there...this is unexplored territory.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:19 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
If you are talking about the sun/moon roof, tread lightly. Fairly complicated mechanism and needs to be perfectly adjusted so it functions well. I've worked on cars most of my life (backyard mechanic, not pro) and would be hesitant to want to pull one apart. If you decide to go ahead, you can sign up for a subscription for service information from alldatadiy.com. They have the factory service manuals online that you would need to tackle this job. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
I think OP is talking about the center console lid in front of the cup holders. Mine had an issue where it doesn't "catch" in the half-open position (i.e. covering the 12V plug and ash tray but not the cupholders) and just slides closed. There's a little knobby thing that's supposed to stop it from sliding all the way closed, but it doesn't always catch. I haven't fixed that because I leave it half-open all the time anyway.

If OP is talking about the sunroof, I would bring that to the dealer since it probably involves removing the headliner. Mine doesn't stay closed on hard acceleration, but I consider it more of a funny quirk of the 550 BiTurbo and is too amusing and too complicated for me to worry about fixing it. It's become somewhat of a game to see how far back I can get it to slide lol