E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Can I use the media interface cable in my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2016 | 04:04 PM

1999 CLK430
Can I use the media interface cable in my car?

New owner of a 2010 E350 and I've been researching how to connect my iphone 6 to the stereo for music but have found a huge variety of answers. I have this plug in my glove box which looks like the same connector as the media interface cable, but a few places I found them for sale say it is not compatible for my car so I'm confused. If anyone can explain which cable I need or what I need to connect my phone I would appreciate it. I tried to turn bluetooth audio streaming on through the engineering mode screen but my phone will not connect (a lot of others said they can not use this feature as well in their '10). What cable do I need and if you can give me a part number that'd be great! Thanks.

-Austin

Old 06-04-2016 | 09:46 AM

C320 & E350
Yes you can use the Media Cable. Get one from amazon to save some money. Search for the Extenze branded one. Its the replacement I got and works just like the original.
Old 06-04-2016 | 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
First on streaming, I've read many posts about folks with the 2010 models getting it to work via engineering mode but that the connection doesn't always take, especially after restarting comand. Some have reported success getting a dealer to update the comand firmware (not navi maps and $$ if out of warranty) by complaining that the BT phone connection is not good. Apparently if the firmware for comand gets flashed to the lasted version of comand 4.0 (like the 2011 models and late 2010 models have) their streaming problems went away.

In regards to connecting via a cable, yes there is a media interface cable that you can get for very cheap on ebay or amazon. First you have to make sure it is the right model number for your model year. According to MB the stock cable for 2010 is part number A0018278504. But that is the 30 pin ipod cable and your iphone 6 uses the lightning cable. MB later made a lightning cable but I am not certain if it works with models before 2013 so you will have to research that. But I recall reports of folks who were able to use the older ipod 30 pin cable with a lightning cable adapter so their newer iphones will work.

Good luck and keep in mind that the streaming and media interface options are pretty basic on comand 4.0. I was in a 2016 E350 the other week and the streaming/media interface options were so much better (voice search, album art, etc.) than my comand 4.0 - it made me feel like I was stuck in the dark ages.
Old 06-05-2016 | 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by eldivino
Yes you can use the Media Cable. Get one from amazon to save some money. Search for the Extenze branded one. Its the replacement I got and works just like the original.
+1
Old 06-05-2016 | 08:31 PM

2011 E-350
Originally Posted by thefisch
First on streaming, I've read many posts about folks with the 2010 models getting it to work via engineering mode but that the connection doesn't always take, especially after restarting comand. Some have reported success getting a dealer to update the comand firmware (not navi maps and $$ if out of warranty) by complaining that the BT phone connection is not good. Apparently if the firmware for comand gets flashed to the lasted version of comand 4.0 (like the 2011 models and late 2010 models have) their streaming problems went away.

In regards to connecting via a cable, yes there is a media interface cable that you can get for very cheap on ebay or amazon. First you have to make sure it is the right model number for your model year. According to MB the stock cable for 2010 is part number A0018278504. But that is the 30 pin ipod cable and your iphone 6 uses the lightning cable. MB later made a lightning cable but I am not certain if it works with models before 2013 so you will have to research that. But I recall reports of folks who were able to use the older ipod 30 pin cable with a lightning cable adapter so their newer iphones will work.

Good luck and keep in mind that the streaming and media interface options are pretty basic on comand 4.0. I was in a 2016 E350 the other week and the streaming/media interface options were so much better (voice search, album art, etc.) than my comand 4.0 - it made me feel like I was stuck in the dark ages.
I agree. I made the mistake of not getting the correct adapter. At first I thought something was wrong with my iPod so I bought a new one. Still didn't work. Did some deeper searching on this forum and realized there were vehicle specific cables. All good now.