E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Factory or aftermarket windshield???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
S212
well had the glass put in yesterday, went to their shop in brooklyn.
Took two tries, first windshield had a different mount for the camera (my guess adaptive high beams? as I have no other systems), it was an aftermarket Fuyao. So the manager ordered three other windshields to make sure one of them fits.

At this point I left and came back when the car was almost finished, the one that did fit is also a Fuyao, don't know what the other two were.
From driving in town and highway can't really tell the difference, still quiet inside and I am glad that I finally have a clear windshield. My original one was extremely pitted I never seen anything like that, like every square centimeter had a couple tiny dings in it, so I am happy I can see clearly now.
For the craftsmanship its average at best, pass wiper is notch higher than it should be, at the bottom of the glass there is a 1/16" gap that shouldn't be there. A pillar trim had bunch of glue that I had to rub off.
Best part and the only one that kinda keeps me happy is total cost. 386.89 thats with taxes.

now on a side now new windshield has heated wipers which my car did not come with, is it possible to install the button or does it need to be written into computer at the factory etc?

IF anyone has procedure on adjusting wiper blades and that lower cowl i would appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:07 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
W221/W222/W213/X290
Originally Posted by Arctic2010
I just purchased my car a couple weeks ago and got a giant crack in the windshield today. The windshield needs to be replaced. My insurance company will fully cover an aftermarket windshield. Is it worth it for me to consider paying the difference for a factory windshield? I am getting contradictory info between the insurance company and a glass company I contacted. The glass company said if I get an aftermarket windshield, it will mess with electrical systems and I should absolutely get a factory part. Insurance company says he aftermarket is just as good. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
just letting everyone know that there is no such thing as an OEM windshield in the states for these cars. All windshields for Mercedes come from Canada, and are made to the same quality/look as the ones in Germany since they cannot ship them over seas (obviously as they’d break scratch etc).. I went to buy an “OEM” windshield and the friends at my dealship warned me it’ll be the same thickness and look, but will be made by a company in Canada (or atleast it’s coming from Canada because that’s the closest manufacturer from where I live). It might just be cheaper to go “aftermarket” as it’s not going through a dealership.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 S560
Safelite, Geico windshield replacement 2014 E550

Originally Posted by happyeds
Broken windshield? Hope you don't have GEICO Insurance for military. Every year I pay for a $200 comprehensive deductible on my 2014 E-550 which includes windshield replacement. So when the windshield was smashed at 70 mph from whatever for some crazy reason I thought my deductible for a new OEM windshield would be 200 bucks. OH how wrong I was. Mercedes replacement quoted me $1,648.46, Safelite quoted me $1,600.

That talking little green thing from GEICO let me know if I wanted the OEM glass replacement my out of pocket cost would be $ 963.46. Geico pays $885. for the Fuyao glass installed by Safelite. Here come the real rub............if Safelite cannot calibrate the Fuyao for the lane assist, (front collision warning whatever thing) and rain sensors they cannot send it to Mercedes Benz because even they WILL NOT attempt to calibrate the devices. What does this mean you ask? Well it means you have to go back to GEICO and fight with them to pay for what should have been dome in the first place ........replace with a OEM windshield. As usual the customer gets screwed blue and tattooed by GEICO Insurance. I guess my time isn't worth a nickel.
10/18/10 follow up -- been back to Safelite three times since the replacement, the box for the air intake (over the battery) was not clipped in place, the hold downs for the crowling were missing, the wiper plastic nut covers were missing and since the beginning the wipers make a sweep everytime I start the car and do not retract all the way down. Feeling I could have a safety problem with the wipers, I made a trip to my MB dealer body shop. A couple of guys looked it over and came to the conclusion; the windshield is installed at an angle or the glass is shorter then spec because the plastic moldings and the gaps are different left and right top and bottom. If another windshield is installed it will also need new plastic moldings replaced. Back to GEICO
The following users liked this post:
kajtek1 (10-18-2019)
Old 06-28-2020, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Digging this back up... the cowl/water collector on my car does not seem it was installed correctly. I’m not sure it’s not damaged beyond repair.

Does anyone know if this will allow water in the cabin? And is it supposed to be sealed against the windshield? Mine is not sealed against the glass and can be pushed down (as shown in the above photos).

I am trying to get my ducks in a row to go back to insurance.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 S560
windshield/sealing issues

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Digging this back up... the cowl/water collector on my car does not seem it was installed correctly. I’m not sure it’s not damaged beyond repair.

Does anyone know if this will allow water in the cabin? And is it supposed to be sealed against the windshield? Mine is not sealed against the glass and can be pushed down (as shown in the above photos).

I am trying to get my ducks in a row to go back to insurance.
the piece is not attached to the glass but it has to fit tight against it - highly recommend you go to the body shop where your local Benz dealer has their work done - they will show you exactly what is wrong and answer your questions because they are the professionals