Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Front Passenger Seat Position Sensor, Air Bag problem

Hi guys,

I searched here and google but did not find an answer to this question.

On my 2014 E350 Sport 4Matic, the "passenger air bag off" is always illuminated on the dash whether an adult is sitting in the seat or not.

Additionally, when I start the car the following error message is displayed: "''picture of an inflated air bag and seated passenger' Front Right Malfunction, Service Required".

When I took the car in to my trusty independent mechanic to have some other work done he cleared all error codes related to that seat but one code returned and stayed:
"B00C513 -- The position sensor 'Front passenger seat' has a malfunction. There is an open circuit."
He was not using a Star machine but some other fairly sophisticated computer diagnostic machine.

Somewhat related information from google seems to suggest that this problem is caused by a broken, frayed or other compromised wire but, I could not find any info on that specific error code or a seat position sensor.

Does anyone have any information about this problem? or how to replace the front passenger seat position sensor?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 203 Posts
2019 E300
Isnt your car still under warranty? If so, bring it back to the dealer. If not, then you need to find a better tech to troubleshoot this problem. I think the sensors are capacitance sensors and your tech need to find a way to bypass them to make that it is the sensors that need to be replace.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
If it helps, the occupancy sensor itself is a mat that is part of the lower seat cushion/cover.