E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Help please need to get back on the road

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 AMG
Help please need to get back on the road

hello guys I have a 2010 e550 4matic sedan 2 weeks ago when I was about a mile from my house my serpentine belt broke. under some tight steering conditions I was able to cruise home at about 20 mph. a warning light came on telling me the car was low on coolant and running hot then the blower kicked on when I pulled in the driveway and stayed on about 10 minutes after I cut the car off. The belt broke from a failed power steering pulley so I had my mechanic replace the belt and pump. The car now fires up just fine but when I went to turn on the A/C, the button just flashes and goes back off the compressor seems to be kicking on just fine and the blower 2 but no cold air. can anyone tell me if im supposed to reset and if so and how to reset the blower or A/C or what's going on. I use this vehicle for work and I am missing income like crazy. Thx ev1 4 listening
Old 08-14-2016, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
have you checked the refrigerant level? It could have vented due to pressure built up while you were driving the car and could be low now.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:52 AM

2010 E550 AMG
don't mean to sound like an idiot but what is vented and no I haven't checked the refrigerant level. the air was ice cold b4 this happened so cold I always had to keep my blower on low b/c it would freeze up my windows.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
When you search on a flashing AC button for mercedes, most of the threads point to low refrigerant. Some sensor in the climate system is telling you that you need to get your system checked.

Now yours was fine before the belt broke but the system now thinks there could be an issue whether that is true or not. That could be from the compressor stopping due to the belt breaking and a sensor got tripped and cannot reset without intervention or it went bad. Or it could be that the r134a refrigerant in the AC system could have vented out due to pressure buildup due to the interruption in the cooling cycle and it is now low on refrigerant.

I am suggesting getting the level checked as that is easy to do - most auto parts store can help or sell you a refill kit that comes with a pressure guage. if it is low then an AC tech can help you get it recharged if you don't want to do yourself and then you could be good to go. If the level is fine, then you can explore other reasons why the light may be flashing like a bad sensor.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I'm curious how not having a functioning A/C is affecting your work income. Are you an Uber driver?
Old 08-15-2016, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
^I was thinking either that or he works in sales and has clients in the car with him often type of thing.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:40 AM

2010 E550 AMG
THX For the replies ev1 I did a pressure check on the unit and gauge is not low but extremely high like as far over to the red it could possibly go. I think you are correct fisch about the belt breaking causing the compressor to go into safe mode except the pressure went high and not low. it appears to have Freon still in it and there is no signs of leaks in unit. Is there anyway to relieve the pressure on the unit or am I gonna have to take this to a dealer. thx again ev1 and be safe

btw key08 I work for a private company called UgO very similar to Uber. lot of private companies, corporations politicians, etc book you in advance mostly you will get there monthly itinerary.
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by spjackso
THX For the replies ev1 I did a pressure check on the unit and gauge is not low but extremely high like as far over to the red it could possibly go. I think you are correct fisch about the belt breaking causing the compressor to go into safe mode except the pressure went high and not low. it appears to have Freon still in it and there is no signs of leaks in unit. Is there anyway to relieve the pressure on the unit or am I gonna have to take this to a dealer. thx again ev1 and be safe
I am an AC novice and have only checked and recharged a few systems with home kits. My understanding is that the systems have a vent built in to relieve pressure if it gets to high. It is normally under the compressor and you can see evidence of the venting by the oily residue that comes out with the refrigerant.

It is concerning that your gauge reading is in the red regardless but it makes me wonder if something is wrong with the gauge. Do you have another car to test it on? If my gauge was good and showed my system in the red, I would be getting it checked out by an indy or dealer. Of course any reputable AC place can help. You can always ask them to diagnose the situation if they charge a nominal fee. You've got to get back on the road to get paid