E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

e220 cdi amg noisy when driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e220 cdi amg
e220 cdi amg noisy when driving

Dear all, my first post and looking for any help/ advice. I recently bought a 2014 e220 cdi amg sport model with upgraded 19" alloy wheels. I previously had an A6 sline auto which was really nice to drive, nothing too exciting but a comfortable cruiser with the 2.0 tdi engine.

So far I have found the Merc to be quite rough to drive. It seems noisier than I would expect but im partly putting that down to road noise with the bigger wheels and low profile tyres.

The issue for me is that 1. It seems noisier to drive than I would have expected, 2. Not as smooth going through gears as expected with really noticeable gear changes through the auto box (A6 multitronic was so smooth by comparison), 3 a feeling of a slight lag when the car changes gear, 4 feels more sluggish than I would have expected 5. Doesnt feel like the comfortable cruiser in economy mode I would expect from an e class.

So, question to members is has anyone else heard of any similar moans about the W212 egine? I accept the bigger wheels and tyres will contribute to the noise but engine and tyre noise feel like two separate things.

My gut feeling is to take it in to my local merc dealer as its still under warranty but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Mark
Old 08-20-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 141 Likes on 105 Posts
2010 E550
I've never driven an E220, but here are my thoughts. Change rims back to stock 17" with some beefy tires that have low road noise. The ride will be more comfortable and should be less noisy.

The car is probably not smooth and feels sluggish because the engine is only 170 hp trying to pull a car that's nearly 4,000 lbs. However, it does get 40-60mpg. High efficiency cars aren't exactly known for performance, unless you get a Tesla :B