E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Are the owners of new E-class OK with the 4-cylinder engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:50 PM

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E350
Originally Posted by PaulE550
Completely agree! Buying a MB or any other car in this price range isn't about settling for simply being "good enough" to get up to highway speed. It's about being able to enjoy the experience of smooth, effortless acceleration with power to spare, while at the same time doing so in a comfortable, luxury environment.

If all we cared about was "adequate" or "good enough", then we might as well all get a Toyota Camry for a whole lot less money. There are certain expectations that come with buying any luxury brand vehicle in this price range. Expecting potential customers to pay premium prices for, as one person already commented, a engine that sound like "a marble rattling around inside a coffee can" from the outside might be OK for some folks. To each his or her own personal preferences. However, it completely ignores the MB customer segment that actually cares about performance and enjoys driving. MB risks losing that segment of their customer base to potentially other brands down the road.

Yup ...'nuff said.
There is no shortage of "adequate" car out there. But to pay MB prices for Camry et.al. "feel" is not my choice. It's MB's prerogative to build what they like, as it is the consumers' to buy what suits them. And the fact that there are numerous good choices out there, I will, as always, vote with my wallet.

Edward
Old 09-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I. Don't. Care. That everyone is doing it

i wont buy their garbage
Old 09-15-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
I have no experience with the new E Class, but I recently drove a C300. The I4 turbo is smooth and has good power, but is noisier and not as linear as the V6 in my W212. I do note some W212 owners remove their mufflers in order to get a louder exhaust note, so for those folks, the louder I4 should not be an issue.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw 528
you can buy a v-6 in the C class & E Coupe

but not in the NEW E class sedan. A step backward!! Not an issue for me as I bought a new Audi S4 in 2014. I compared it to the then v6 E350 and found the Audi to be a better car for me. I would not ever consider a 4 cylinder car turbo since my last Volvo in 1985 . I no longer consider the MB e class a premium car. The coupe still is, but it is way too small for the normal E class buyer. You shot your self in the foot MB .
Old 09-16-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Audi I-4

Also have 2015 Audi A3. In for recent service. Loaner was 2017 A4 w/ 2.0 i-4 & Quattro. Great performance & quiet.. A bit smaller than EClass but a real competitor.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E250 Bluetec
Just recently bought a 2014 E250 Bluetec with I4 engine. To be honest, I'm actually surprised with the performance, knowing that it's smaller and somewhat slower than most gas vehicles or with turbos. I didn't buy this car to be a performance car - mainly bought it for a smooth, luxury ride and the excellent mpg doesn't hurt either! It's perfect for my job (real estate agent).

Last edited by Motivology; 09-20-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
The 4 cylinder makes it easy for me - it prevents me from getting the itch to buy a new car. Even as sweet as the E43 AMG is - I am in love with my E550 and my rule of thumbs is that if I buy a new car I want more horse power than the last car. Right now the E43 does not have more.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
i have read on BMW forums that the new 5er 2017 (g30) will beat 2017 E class by driving dynamics like its a baby lol
kinda upsetting , even audi beats benz in dynamics. if comparing same engines
Old 09-17-2016, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by belarus27
i have read on BMW forums that the new 5er 2017 (g30) will beat 2017 E class by driving dynamics like its a baby lol
kinda upsetting , even audi beats benz in dynamics. if comparing same engines

And the E class beat the BMW in ride comfort and interior design. BMW in general do perform better, Mercedes is the most comfortable and Audi is somewhere in the middle.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by The G Man
And the E class beat the BMW in ride comfort and interior design. BMW in general do perform better, Mercedes is the most comfortable and Audi is somewhere in the middle.
also about ride comfort , bmw guys are pretty happy with it too , even with a stiffer suspension they enjoy it (i mean of course they be saying that cuz they own one) but i agree with them , after owning e39 525 manual and e60 545 auto ride comfort is still enjoyable , so bimmer kinda winning cuz of the better handling. i like benz cuz of the options and features , and that i just cruise in it , and i dont care whats going on around me , no need to hurry anywhere.. relaxing. but this thread is not about that.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by belarus27
also about ride comfort , bmw guys are pretty happy with it too , even with a stiffer suspension they enjoy it (i mean of course they be saying that cuz they own one) but i agree with them , after owning e39 525 manual and e60 545 auto ride comfort is still enjoyable , so bimmer kinda winning cuz of the better handling. i like benz cuz of the options and features , and that i just cruise in it , and i dont care whats going on around me , no need to hurry anywhere.. relaxing. but this thread is not about that.

Having owned 3 BMW before my Mercedes, I could not disagree more. Mercedes blows away BMW in ride comfort, not even close. The runflat is a big problem for BMW and they also lack an air suspension option. If you like stiff rides then BMW is not bad, but by no way that it is comfortable.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Being a long time Saab owner before MB and have many many miles on a 4cylinder Turbos.

Are they peppy. YES.
Can the ECU be programmed to maximize turbo boost. Yes.
Do they run significantly hotter inside the engine compartment? Yes.
this causes issues that will nickel and dime you to death...
Are they louder. YES.
Do they vibrate more than a 6 cylinder. YES.
Are they cheaper to build. Yes
Is MB making more margin on each car now. YES.

Im keeping the 14 E350.

I wonder about the new Volvo XC90 fairly large SUV that ONLY comes in a 4 cylinder engine that is both turbocharged and supercharged. They needed to do this so the large SUV has enough power to pass on the highway.

It is all about increasing profits... I don't buy this BS CAFE crap. The MPG on the E350 to the E300 have not changed significantly.

I would rather have a large V6 NA engine for the simplicity and the longevity.

In another post, I suggested saving $20K and buying the C300 with the same engine as the new E300.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
A lot of reviews states that the XC90 T6 with the 4 cylinder turbo/supercharged engine feels slow on the highway. The T5 with just the turbo 4 is borderline unacceptable in this class segment. As far as I am concerned, the T8 hybrid is the only acceptable power plant out of the three for a SUV this size, then again, if I were to spend $85000 on a SUV, there are plenty of better choices out there.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
I have e250 Blueteck with 18,500 miles and I have no problem. I am just waiting for 2017 e220d.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by Munich77
The 4 cylinder makes it easy for me - it prevents me from getting the itch to buy a new car. Even as sweet as the E43 AMG is - I am in love with my E550 and my rule of thumbs is that if I buy a new car I want more horse power than the last car. Right now the E43 does not have more.
Exactly. I went looking at the E class mostly because of the incredible interior. However, the four cylinder, no matter how refined, just did not cut it and I can imagine how poorly it would react if you are already going 70mph and have to pass on the highway.

I then drove the new CLS550 with the 9 speed and both torque/horsepower over 400. I knew I had to have that car and bought it. I have never looked back at the E class. I know one is a uniquely styled sports/luxury sedan (or coupe with four doors) and one is a saloon. They really do not compete with one another. But with many of the classes becoming indistinguishable from each other and loosing engine displacement more and more each year, the CLS550 has become an admirable aberration in the Mercedes line.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Originally Posted by shortspark
Exactly. I went looking at the E class mostly because of the incredible interior. However, the four cylinder, no matter how refined, just did not cut it and I can imagine how poorly it would react if you are already going 70mph and have to pass on the highway.

I then drove the new CLS550 with the 9 speed and both torque/horsepower over 400. I knew I had to have that car and bought it. I have never looked back at the E class. I know one is a uniquely styled sports/luxury sedan (or coupe with four doors) and one is a saloon. They really do not compete with one another. But with many of the classes becoming indistinguishable from each other and loosing engine displacement more and more each year, the CLS550 has become an admirable aberration in the Mercedes line.
Great choice - I always loved the CLS - I bought the E550 so I could at least have the engine.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic

Did you actually try it? I think you're thinking of turbo lag, but if you're already at highway speeds there shouldn't be much. I used to drive a manual turbo 2.2 back in the 90's and if you were in the proper rpm range, boost was good and it was pretty fast, at low rpms, it was bad though. Only drawbacks with turbos was that one day the car blew a head gasket and that was the end of the car.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:29 PM

2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Did you actually try it? I think you're thinking of turbo lag, but if you're already at highway speeds there shouldn't be much. I used to drive a manual turbo 2.2 back in the 90's and if you were in the proper rpm range, boost was good and it was pretty fast, at low rpms, it was bad though. Only drawbacks with turbos was that one day the car blew a head gasket and that was the end of the car.
No, I did not try the E class at those highway speeds. I did test drive the E class and it was just okay, but it was only "normal" driving that a test drive usually amounts to. The sound was not very good either and it vibrated a lot just at idle. Maybe it was just this car. But when I test drove the CLS550 there was no comparison. Of course there should not be with a twin turbo v8 and over 400 hp and over 400 lb ft. torque - they are different animals and priced accordingly.

After driving the two of them the choice was very clear. If you want a spirited ride with luxury galore, the CLS is hard to beat. If you want a nice, comfortable saloon full of technology and are not too concerned about a driver's car then the E class is the way to go. In my case, (before I get much older!) I chose the CLS.

I took my 550 out today on the interstate (I usually just drive back country roads). I was doing 70 mph and so were a few cars in the right lane. I was cruising in 9th gear (and at only 1600 rpms!!) and decided to floor it and go around all three of them. Before I knew it I was doing 90 and shot by them like they were standing still and without ever hitting red line. It took all of five seconds of wonderful bass growl to pass all three of them. That is a maneuver the E class 4 cyl. simply could not accomplish, although I admit that I have no first hand knowledge but physics tells me it is so. And the symphony? - priceless!

I also understand what you are saying about the turbo lag. The CLS with twin turbos eliminates most of it (I seldom notice it) although I must admit that I was spoiled in that regard by the supercharger Jaguar which is linear throughout the range. A single turbo E class would have to be much more noticeable in terms of "lag" - and that is at any speed.

As I said, we can not compare the CLS W278 twin turbo v8 with what is in the E class right now - I paid a $15,000 premium above the E class just to get it. If the E class had that engine, along with that beautiful interior and technology, I would have bought it right away.

The bottom line is that I simply can't bring myself to pay that much money for a car that has everything but a heart.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
No, I did not try the E class at those highway speeds. I did test drive the E class and it was just okay, but it was only "normal" driving that a test drive usually amounts to. The sound was not very good either and it vibrated a lot just at idle. Maybe it was just this car. But when I test drove the CLS550 there was no comparison. Of course there should not be with a twin turbo v8 and over 400 hp and over 400 lb ft. torque - they are different animals and priced accordingly.

After driving the two of them the choice was very clear. If you want a spirited ride with luxury galore, the CLS is hard to beat. If you want a nice, comfortable saloon full of technology and are not too concerned about a driver's car then the E class is the way to go. In my case, (before I get much older!) I chose the CLS.

I took my 550 out today on the interstate (I usually just drive back country roads). I was doing 70 mph and so were a few cars in the right lane. I was cruising in 9th gear (and at only 1600 rpms!!) and decided to floor it and go around all three of them. Before I knew it I was doing 90 and shot by them like they were standing still and without ever hitting red line. It took all of five seconds of wonderful bass growl to pass all three of them. That is a maneuver the E class 4 cyl. simply could not accomplish, although I admit that I have no first hand knowledge but physics tells me it is so. And the symphony? - priceless!

I also understand what you are saying about the turbo lag. The CLS with twin turbos eliminates most of it (I seldom notice it) although I must admit that I was spoiled in that regard by the supercharger Jaguar which is linear throughout the range. A single turbo E class would have to be much more noticeable in terms of "lag" - and that is at any speed.

As I said, we can not compare the CLS W278 twin turbo v8 with what is in the E class right now - I paid a $15,000 premium above the E class just to get it. If the E class had that engine, along with that beautiful interior and technology, I would have bought it right away.

The bottom line is that I simply can't bring myself to pay that much money for a car that has everything but a heart.
There is nothing like driving through switchback roads in the fall listening to the rumble of a M278 engine. Glorious! What a fun way to spend a Saturday afternnoon. Tomorrow is an early morning run up to Bear Mountain to check out the fall foliage with a few other folks in the club. Nothing like a fairly open highway and a mix of performance luxury cars.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:00 PM

2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by PaulE550
There is nothing like driving through switchback roads in the fall listening to the rumble of a M278 engine. Glorious! What a fun way to spend a Saturday afternnoon. Tomorrow is an early morning run up to Bear Mountain to check out the fall foliage with a few other folks in the club. Nothing like a fairly open highway and a mix of performance luxury cars.
I know what you mean PaulE550. I am not too familiar with that area but I was born and raised in the equally beautiful Finger Lakes wine region which is northwest of there. I still remember the glorious colors this time of year. In fact, here in Texas, believe it or not, we have a few places that get some fair colors, although our Mercedes Club usually goes a little too early on their annual trip to get the full benefit. You guys should be hitting it just about right there in the Catskills.

Our MB club outing is next weekend for a local fall festival trip, but it is a little early. We will still have a lot of fun as all MB owners are in the festival parade (the folks out there never see this many Mercedes cars, especially the classics). We are given maps of the back roads where the trees should be starting to turn so I'll probably give that CLS a good run through there - not for the leaves, for ME!
Old 10-16-2016, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300 Coupe'
Originally Posted by The G Man
A lot of reviews states that the XC90 T6 with the 4 cylinder turbo/supercharged engine feels slow on the highway. The T5 with just the turbo 4 is borderline unacceptable in this class segment. As far as I am concerned, the T8 hybrid is the only acceptable power plant out of the three for a SUV this size, then again, if I were to spend $85000 on a SUV, there are plenty of better choices out there.
Had one (2016 XC90) for 6 months. Even did the Polestar software upgrade. Put aside the problems I had with it, I can tell you that every time I get into my Merc its like butter. Quiet, and the power curve is smooth. Of course we are comparing an SUV vs a Saloon. Still.. just kicking my self that I should have got the Merc all along. Had a W211 and loved it... now I get to love my W212.

As far as 4 bangers go, you can get a lot of power out of them but you can't yet make them drive like silk.... even with 8 or 9 speed trannys. Maybe one day.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E350
We can talk power and torque differences all day, that's objective, or what is "acceptable" power, subjective: all this is easy banter.

But what I simply cannot --cannot-- fathom is how any car company can expect such a lofty sum for a car with an engine that does not deliver what its pricetag suggests! It's all about bang and buck, and whether that ratio makes sense. MBs, et.al. are luxury marques whose very badging promises the whole package: style, durability, and power; the gestalt which justifies its cost. So when the latter fails to fulfill the package, then there is no point in even looking there when alternatives are eager to fill the niche. Throw the I4 turbo in a "lesser" car or model line and charge less; fine. But given what the E-class represents, it's a move they'll pay for later on when owners sour on their initial purchase (remember Porsche's 924 ...took them decades to live that one down!).

Mentioned here, for example, is the Volvo XC90, referring to the light-charge Turbo inline-5. It is not not not a quick car. And if you ask it to hurry, its exhaust note (and general NVH) barks out its protest. But it is not not not an MB E-class either, not in panache, expectations, and certainly not in cost! Which makes it a perfectly wonderful highway cruiser that eats up miles in utter silence and comfort. Just don't ask it to be something that it's not and you are a happy camper. But if someone asked me to pay as much as I did for my E350 for an XC90, rest assured the conversation would end abruptly.

Edward
Old 10-16-2016, 10:20 PM

2017 CLS550
Pretty good observations Edward, pretty good indeed!
Old 10-16-2016, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
The latest I read about the (W213) E 300 is that the lighting package doesn't offer active curve illumination and cornering light functions. Apparently it's all part of the multi beam LED light package which has been disabled in US. The new E class lighting package only offers an auto on off function for high beam despite the brochure and user manual talking about these other features. From the W213 thread , I understand that many owners are not happy with it. I wouldn't be either if I were one.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by pamiboy
The latest I read about the (W213) E 300 is that the lighting package doesn't offer active curve illumination and cornering light functions. Apparently it's all part of the multi beam LED light package which has been disabled in US. The new E class lighting package only offers an auto on off function for high beam despite the brochure and user manual talking about these other features. From the W213 thread , I understand that many owners are not happy with it. I wouldn't be either if I were one.
WHYYYYYYYYYY
WHY they always disable a whole lot of everything(options/features) here in US , i just dont get it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are the owners of new E-class OK with the 4-cylinder engine?