E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Garage door opener frustration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 e350 4matic w212
Garage door opener frustration

I got my 2010 E350 W212 a few months ago and love it. The only thing I am having issues with is the garage door opener. I have followed a multitude of different instructions and nothing works.
The common thread in all instructions is to press and hold the button on the rear view mirror and the button on the remote until the LED flashes quickly. This doesn't happen, it just flashes slowly for 60 seconds then stops. I have tried all 3 buttons, no difference. I have tried several remotes, all the same result.
The garage door opener is a chamberlain with a rolling code so I know it is a multi step process, but until I can get step one complete I can't even try to get the second step done.
anyone had this? If so how do I get this working?
I hate having to have a remote door opener clipped to the sun visor, it doesn't look good and the remote rattles enough to make me want to throw the remote out the window!

please help
Old 01-28-2017, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
it's a simple HOMELINK system. Search YouTube for Homelink training instructions. Did you clear all previous codes first by pressing the outside 2 buttons and holding for 20 sec? You won't get anywhere unless you clear the original codes.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:41 PM

2010 e350 4matic w212
Originally Posted by KEY08
it's a simple HOMELINK system. Search YouTube for Homelink training instructions. Did you clear all previous codes first by pressing the outside 2 buttons and holding for 20 sec? You won't get anywhere unless you clear the original codes.
It may be a "simple homelink system" but there is more to it than it seems.
Yes, I have cleared the previous codes, and as stated in my original question I have followed a multitude of instructions, including a number of YouTube videos.
I spoke to Homelink support a short time ago, and they had me go through a few things. The one thing that told them what was causing this was pressing and holding one of the buttons. The LED went a solid orange which means it is an older system. The confirmation of this came from the fact the LED does not flash rapidly when holding the remote button and the button on the mirror for up to 60 seconds.
The Mercedes homelink system in my car, an early W212, does not understand the encrypted rolling code on newer Chamberlain, Craftsman or LiftMaster doors, ones with a yellow learn button and antenna wire. The solution is to buy a Homelink compatibility bridge kit.
This kit is available on the Homelink website https://secure.homelink.com/homelink-repeater-kit-detail for $24.99 plus tax and shipping.
the kit plugs into an outlet in the garage and relays the signal from the car to the door opener. I ordered mine a few minutes ago, hopefully this will fix my issue
Old 01-28-2017, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
good luck with it. I haven't had a homelink problem that couldn't be solved by fresh batteries in the remote and some patience with the learn button process.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Rad (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 10:28 PM

2010 e350 4matic w212
Originally Posted by thefisch
good luck with it. I haven't had a homelink problem that couldn't be solved by fresh batteries in the remote and some patience with the learn button process.
that's fine, but unless you have set up your car with a new opener from the manufacturers named above you have not encountered an encrypted rolling code. My other car is a Dodge Durango, designed by Mercedes and using Mercedes electronics. This one works fine BUT it is a 2014 model with a newer version of Homelink that understands the encryption. My e350 does not see the signal from the remote, the opener does not see the Homelink signal from the car. I am a computer engineer, I understand how these things work, now I know the new openers are encrypted I understand why it doesn't work. It's like trying to add an old laptop with a 2.4Ghz wi-fi card to a 5Ghz network, it doesn't work.....
Old 01-29-2017, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Have u tried holding 2 outter buttons? Use instructions like in this (
) video and It should work. Worked for me on my 2010.
The only thing is that for some reason it resets itself sometimes in a few days sometimes in a month. So i just bought a universal remote to stop this headache
Old 01-29-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
I sat in my driveway in my car with my iPad watching the Mercedes tutorial and step by step, I got everything to work. Good luck
raja777m (09-16-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
I have no issue with a 2010 W212 and a new chamberlain OHD drive. Let us know how you make out with your new extra gear.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Originally Posted by thefisch
Couldn't agree more. IME, a serious dose of patience was the key (which I often lack, but that's another story for another day). Up and down that damn ladder. In and out of the car. Then testing both cars and the keypads on the ext of my house. Homelink works like a charm today, but it certainly took numerous attempts over the course of 30min to perform the steps in order within the allotted time and for the electronics to accept it all.

Good luck to the OP. You're the little engine that could, I just know it.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 01-29-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
The step you might need to try for rolling code units is, on the opener itself, near the light bulb is a button to press for resetting rolling codes. Do that, and within ~30-60 seconds, proceed with the programming instructions in car with remote and mirror controls.

Originally Posted by Tech monkie
It may be a "simple homelink system" but there is more to it than it seems.
Yes, I have cleared the previous codes, and as stated in my original question I have followed a multitude of instructions, including a number of YouTube videos.
I spoke to Homelink support a short time ago, and they had me go through a few things. The one thing that told them what was causing this was pressing and holding one of the buttons. The LED went a solid orange which means it is an older system. The confirmation of this came from the fact the LED does not flash rapidly when holding the remote button and the button on the mirror for up to 60 seconds.
The Mercedes homelink system in my car, an early W212, does not understand the encrypted rolling code on newer Chamberlain, Craftsman or LiftMaster doors, ones with a yellow learn button and antenna wire. The solution is to buy a Homelink compatibility bridge kit.
This kit is available on the Homelink website https://secure.homelink.com/homelink...ter-kit-detail for $24.99 plus tax and shipping.
the kit plugs into an outlet in the garage and relays the signal from the car to the door opener. I ordered mine a few minutes ago, hopefully this will fix my issue
Old 01-29-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
01 ML55AMG 04 ML500 03 ML350 08 ML63AMG
Originally Posted by Tech monkie
I got my 2010 E350 W212 a few months ago and love it. The only thing I am having issues with is the garage door opener. I have followed a multitude of different instructions and nothing works.
The common thread in all instructions is to press and hold the button on the rear view mirror and the button on the remote until the LED flashes quickly. This doesn't happen, it just flashes slowly for 60 seconds then stops. I have tried all 3 buttons, no difference. I have tried several remotes, all the same result.
The garage door opener is a chamberlain with a rolling code so I know it is a multi step process, but until I can get step one complete I can't even try to get the second step done.
anyone had this? If so how do I get this working?
I hate having to have a remote door opener clipped to the sun visor, it doesn't look good and the remote rattles enough to make me want to throw the remote out the window!

please help
Call Mb dealer they will help you out trough the phone how to do it step by step. If not then youtube it
Old 09-15-2017, 05:23 PM

2010 e350 4matic w212
Lightbulb Solution found

So, I got the repeater from Homelink. Within seconds of installing this I was able to program 2 of the buttons on my mirror to open the 2 garage doors.

The reason this is needed is simple. My car does not understand the encrypted rolling code used on the NEW Chamerlain door openers. It does not understand this because the technology is newer than the hardware in my car and it is not compatible.
My car does not see the signal from the original door opener, it is NOT that the opener does not see the controller in my car, I cannot program my car with the code from the original remote. I looked at the spec of the opener hardware in my car, the frequencies it can read/use do NOT include the frequency of the encrypted rolling code openers so no mater how many times you try and how many funny faces you pull when trying to get the car to pick up the code from the original remote it WILL NOT WORK.
pjw1967 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Well, I'm glad you fixed it. I'm still confused how Mercedes created a specific version of the Homelink system that precludes working with later rolling code lifts since they have been around for 30 years. My '06 Honda Odyssey van has no issues and it's 4 years older than your MB. Likewise my '02 AMG and '04 E500 worked just fine. Oh well, the best or nothing.

Last edited by KEY08; 09-15-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2023 GLE 450
Programmed my 2010 today. After figuring out the opener was a rolling type, just parked the car underneath the opener, pushed the button ion the opener motor, then jumped in the car and activated the button I wanted, works great.

Wouldn't program however when the car was in the driveway, guess I needed to have the opener and Homelink closer together.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by PLINYELDER
Programmed my 2010 today. After figuring out the opener was a rolling type, just parked the car underneath the opener, pushed the button ion the opener motor, then jumped in the car and activated the button I wanted, works great.

Wouldn't program however when the car was in the driveway, guess I needed to have the opener and Homelink closer together.
+1