E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

w212 engine 642.850 (blutec) oil cooler leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 e350 blutec
Exclamation w212 engine 642.850 (blutec) oil cooler leak

Greetings. This is just a FYI for those who have the blutec diesel engine that has sprung the dreaded oil cooler leak. Happened to mine at about 52k miles ... of course just out of warranty. Heres the timeline: 1. I removed undercarriage panels so I could see location of leak. Found it was coming from an oil hose, and another location I could not pinpoint looking from the top or bottom. 2. Took into a dealer. They found one leak: oil cooler (due to faulty, cheap ***, non viton gasket ... google this and you will see this engine is infamous for this leak happening at about the 50k mark) cost of parts and labor, about $3300. I asked said dealer to see if MB usa would help with repair due to faulty O ring, service advisor said MB usa said no help. 3. Not satisfied with said dealer, for not finding the additional leaks that I had found, and for not really putting effort into getting help from MB usa, I took to another dealer. This dealer found 3 oil leaks: cooler, hose, and one on charge air manifold intake motor. They contacted MB and got them to pay for all parts and I paid labor ... about $1800. Still a bit pissed at MB for not stepping up fully and owning the poor decision to install an inferior O ring gasket on the oil cooler, but also happy they paid for parts as my warranty had expired. Did not want to post names of dealerships, but if youre in the Atlanta suburbs, feel free to email me and I will let you know which dealer did right by me. deepsea87@yahoo.com
Old 01-30-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
E250 GLE300d
What year is your car?

/
Old 01-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
magLipVE
It's 2011. Under his name

2011 Bluetec.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
Hey Charles; Dont lose faith. The car has few problems other than this and some intake motor thing... havent had that one yet, but i have this car and its a 2012. I got it at 25k CPO. I had the oil cooler seal leak at 40,000. Probably because i pushed that car to its limits. Mine was fixed entirely under warranty. There are alot of seals; I think i even posted my service sheet here on the board. I can search my computers for it and upload.

I have a personal mechanic friend of my dads, who sells mbz, and he was a master tech at laguna nigel; i called him when i saw a small pool of oil and he told me what it was. I didnt even ask him to do it cause i had a warranty.
I found out later though that my dads customer had a bluetec m class and the seals leaked at 60000 probably cause she drove it softer. My dads mechanic wouldnt even do it for 4000 he says its so much work and often times they come back if its a rush job. I think she was charged close to 5000 for the dealer to do it for her out of warranty. No help at all.

however the new seals are good and this engine has less carbon buildup than the 4 cylinder. i think im getting my oil changed sooner than 10k miles though juist to be safe.