E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Door Locks - other than FOB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550
Door Locks - other than FOB

I would really like to lock my doors when I'm exiting my 2014 E550 sedan by pressing the inside lock button on the door. At this point, that lock button only works when the doors are closed. Since I don't have the option which includes the exterior push button lock on the handle, that means I need to use the key fob to lock the doors.

Am I missing a menu option to make the interior door lock button work as I'm getting out of the car? The lack of other posts mentioning this problem has me wondering if there is something wrong with my car.

Last edited by decngb; 03-19-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
Originally Posted by decngb
I would really like to lock my doors when I'm exiting my 2014 E550 sedan by pressing the inside lock button on the door. At this point, that lock button only works when the doors are closed. Since I don't have the option which includes the exterior push button lock on the handle, that means I need to use the key fob to lock the doors.

Am I missing a menu option to make the interior door lock button work as I'm getting out of the car? The lack of other posts mentioning this problem has me wondering if there is something wrong with my car.
first of, thats not a problem. its to prevent you from locking your keys inside your car.

second its not an option. all MBs are designed that way, although, iirc, you can change the settings to lock the doors when the cars reaches 18kph or so. but afaik, theres no option to lock all 4 doors whilst the driver door is still open.

use your key or trade your car with keyless go option.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Interesting, I've never noticed that since I have keyless go. Every other car I've had you could do what OP is asking. It would only not lock if it sensed the key was in the car. Other that that, let's say I leave the car open go in the house and put my keys down. I often go back out and lock the Murano manually and it'll lock. However, if I have the key in my pocket or in the car at least 1 of the doors will not lock (The one that's currently open) and it'll beep several times letting me know it thinks the keys are in the car.

Last edited by jahquan3; 03-20-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550
Originally Posted by jahquan3
Interesting, I've never noticed that since I have keyless go. Every other car I've had you could do what OP is asking.
Exactly. Since it works just like a regular key and you have to take it out of the ignition to turn off the car, there really isn't the risk of leaving it behind and locking the doors.

I would prefer the keyless go package, but I was much more interested in the TT V8 and cooled seats! At the time I purchased, this was the only one I could find in the area with those. If there had been a used E350 available nearby with cooled seats, I might have made the mistake of not getting the TT V8!

Mostly I was just looking for confirmation that I'm not missing something obvious to change the door lock behavior. I figured if there was a hidden menu option to make the change, this was the place to get the details. I'll survive locking the doors using the fob for a couple more years.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
doesnt make any sense then. if you take out the key from the ignition, then open your door to get out, that means you still have the key on your hand. wouldnt it be easier to press that button to lock your door as soon as you close it rather than open your door then lock it before you even get out?

in the old days, people tend to turn off the engine, take the key from the ignition and place it next to the gear lever, do other things inside the car, like women putting on makeup or what not. then open the door, lock the car before even getting out, then slam the door shut after getting out. then try to call tripple O to get somebody to unlock the door for them.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,164 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Ditto the above. You never lock yourself out of the car if you always lock the car with the fob. I sometimes leave the keys either on the seat or in the cup holder. Keyless go is always smart enough not to lock the doors if it detects the keys in the car.