E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

CD player reverts to Track 1, no disc/track info: bug, feature or?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
16 E350 4M wagon, 70 911T
Question CD player reverts to Track 1, no disc/track info: bug, feature or?

Hi all,

I've searched on topic and found nothing so apologies if I've missed the topic somehow. I'll try to be as concise as possible, though I'm not very good at that .

My car's (2016 E350 wagon) COMAND system (Premium 1 Package) includes a single CD/DVD drive as well as two USB ports for media and an SD memory card slot. When I insert a CD and it begins playing, no disc/album name or track info is displayed. In addition, when I turn off the car and the COMAND unit, then restart the car, turn the COMAND unit back on, and select the CD drive, the CD always starts over at Track 1. For comparison, when an MP3 or WMA file is selected from the USB drive, the disc and track info is always displayed (this is part of the Gracenote Media functionality inherent in the system, no?). Further, when I turn the car off, restart, turn on COMAND and access the USB drive again, the MP3 begins playing the last file I was listening to at the exact spot it left off when I shut the system down and turned off the car.

I called Customer Care via mbrace and was given a vague "they all do that" response, along with the suggestion that I try to copy the CD to the car's internal hard drive, which should allow the Gracenote info to be displayed. I'm really not satisfied with that response; the CD player in my W204 (6-disc changer BTW, I miss that!) always picked up where I left off no matter what, and it also always displayed disc and track info where available.

So is this a bug, a feature inherent to the newer version of COMAND in my car, or something completely different? Did I miss something in configuring system settings to allow this? Can a trip to the dealer and/or some change in software settings rectify the situation? Certainly it's something I can live with but it seems like it's not something that should be happening.

I'll sit back, await the inevitable #firstworldproblems replies, and look forward to what you have to offer. TIA.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
I would go visit your local dealer and ask them for assistance in your issues. I have a iPod Touch hooked up in the console with the OE cables. It reverts back to the last song in the same "spot" when the car was shut off.