Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Lumpy acceleration?

 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nc211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 190
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport Package / MK7 GTI Autobahn (2015)
Lumpy acceleration?

I've got a 2014 E350 4-matric w/ 22k miles, CPO. I notice on mild acceleration up to say 50mph that sometimes it feels like it's "missing" or clutch is slipping. I doubt either is the case, as I've also felt it in Volvo and sedans. But I'm curious if it's transfer case related and pretty common for the car? I know some complaints about this transmission is commonplace in general and especially in the 3-4 gear area. Doesn't really bother me, but just want to confirm that it's normal, and/or anyone have any tricks to reduce it (say upgraded transfer case fluid?)

thanks!!
nc211 is offline  
Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Peachy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 522
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
2010 E550
Is it turbo lag? I haven't really driven cars with turbos but I know people complain about turbo lag a lot.
Peachy is offline  
Old 07-21-2017, 10:07 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
belarus27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento , CA
Posts: 1,802
Received 154 Likes on 145 Posts
2010 e550 p2
14 e350 got turbos?
belarus27 is offline  
Old 07-22-2017, 05:43 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Peachy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 522
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by belarus27 View Post
14 e350 got turbos?
Oops, thought they transitioned to turbos the same time the E550s did in 2012 :B
Peachy is offline  
Old 07-22-2017, 09:07 AM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nc211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 190
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport Package / MK7 GTI Autobahn (2015)
I wish it had a turbo, that'd be sweet!!! I love love love turbos and what they do to the torque curve. My other car is a MK7 ('15) GTI that is one of my all-time favorite vehicles.

The lurchie (if that's even a word) feel of the power delivery at gentle acceleration in the MB feels like a transfer case trying to divide the power displacement. Hard to describe, but feels kind've rubbery like. It's not every time, and only in a narrow range of power delivery (little more gas, doesn't happen. Little less gas, doesn't happen). I don't think it's engine related (missing). I do note in the car fax history that around 3,000 miles the car computer was reporogrammed, so I suspect the original owner was trying to figure it out too.
nc211 is offline  
Old 07-22-2017, 11:49 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northwest Illinois
Posts: 4,707
Received 303 Likes on 293 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Only some of 2014 E350 have this trans problem. When you bring into dealer they say they cannot duplicate it. I for one would never have bought the car had I known that it had this problem and MB has no solution. You learn to live with it. The best or nothing. Worst trans on a car I have ever owned out of about 30 cars.
dbldpr is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 11:47 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 993
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by nc211 View Post
I've got a 2014 E350 4-matric w/ 22k miles, CPO. I notice on mild acceleration up to say 50mph that sometimes it feels like it's "missing" or clutch is slipping. I doubt either is the case, as I've also felt it in Volvo and sedans. But I'm curious if it's transfer case related and pretty common for the car? I know some complaints about this transmission is commonplace in general and especially in the 3-4 gear area. Doesn't really bother me, but just want to confirm that it's normal, and/or anyone have any tricks to reduce it (say upgraded transfer case fluid?)

thanks!!
Originally Posted by nc211 View Post
I wish it had a turbo, that'd be sweet!!! I love love love turbos and what they do to the torque curve. My other car is a MK7 ('15) GTI that is one of my all-time favorite vehicles.

The lurchie (if that's even a word) feel of the power delivery at gentle acceleration in the MB feels like a transfer case trying to divide the power displacement. Hard to describe, but feels kind've rubbery like. It's not every time, and only in a narrow range of power delivery (little more gas, doesn't happen. Little less gas, doesn't happen). I don't think it's engine related (missing). I do note in the car fax history that around 3,000 miles the car computer was reporogrammed, so I suspect the original owner was trying to figure it out too.
Originally Posted by dbldpr View Post
Only some of 2014 E350 have this trans problem. When you bring into dealer they say they cannot duplicate it. I for one would never have bought the car had I known that it had this problem and MB has no solution. You learn to live with it. The best or nothing. Worst trans on a car I have ever owned out of about 30 cars.
I totally agree! I, too, have this crazy issue with my car. Of course, when you take it the dealership, they provide their overall generic answer: "cannot duplicate issue".
tresean1 is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 12:08 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northwest Illinois
Posts: 4,707
Received 303 Likes on 293 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by tresean1 View Post
I totally agree! I, too, have this crazy issue with my car. Of course, when you take it the dealership, they provide their overall generic answer: "cannot duplicate issue".
What they need is someone on this site must be a Lawyer and have the Lawyer open up a class action suit. I bet there are thousands of us with this problem. I know if the car was a GM vehicle it would have been on a recall already
dbldpr is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 12:24 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nc211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 190
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport Package / MK7 GTI Autobahn (2015)
So, I take it that I've centered in on the hot button for a few of us, eh? :-)

I can totally see how this would infuriate many who've got this issue. I'm not quite at that level with it probably because 90% of the miles I put on my cars are "cruise control" miles at 70mph, outside of the range for this problem. While not happy to see that it's a common issue and I'm not looking at an isolated issue with mine, I'm sorry to see that it detracts so much from the enjoyment of the car for others. Any specific idea what causes it? Is it the transfer case? Torque converter?
nc211 is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 12:25 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nc211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 190
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport Package / MK7 GTI Autobahn (2015)
PS used to have a Volvo XC90. Every loaner I got while it was in the shop (a lot) had this same feeling but a 1,000 times worse.
nc211 is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 12:35 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 99
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E350
Originally Posted by dbldpr View Post
Only some of 2014 E350 have this trans problem. When you bring into dealer they say they cannot duplicate it. I for one would never have bought the car had I known that it had this problem and MB has no solution. You learn to live with it. The best or nothing. Worst trans on a car I have ever owned out of about 30 cars.


Interesting to me (having never owned an MB before). So does this plague only the 4matics, or is this across the entire 2014+ E350 line? Does the RWD have the same trans and it's an AWD issue, or do the 4matics have different trannies?


Edward
Edward993 is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 12:50 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northwest Illinois
Posts: 4,707
Received 303 Likes on 293 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by nc211 View Post
So, I take it that I've centered in on the hot button for a few of us, eh? :-)

I can totally see how this would infuriate many who've got this issue. I'm not quite at that level with it probably because 90% of the miles I put on my cars are "cruise control" miles at 70mph, outside of the range for this problem. While not happy to see that it's a common issue and I'm not looking at an isolated issue with mine, I'm sorry to see that it detracts so much from the enjoyment of the car for others. Any specific idea what causes it? Is it the transfer case? Torque converter?
one member had his dealer replace parts on the trans and it went away the other had the throttle control sensor replaced and it went away. I myself think it is the throttle control sensor is to sensitive. Just some dealers just do not care and use I could not duplicate the problem. You drop off car at 8:00 am and at 3 Pm you call about the car and they have not looked at it yet. Then you get the excuse.

Last edited by dbldpr; 07-23-2017 at 02:58 PM.
dbldpr is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 03:02 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northwest Illinois
Posts: 4,707
Received 303 Likes on 293 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by Edward993 View Post
Interesting to me (having never owned an MB before). So does this plague only the 4matics, or is this across the entire 2014+ E350 line? Does the RWD have the same trans and it's an AWD issue, or do the 4matics have different trannies?

Edward
no idea but I know only some of the 2014 e350 have the problem. I have driven some with no problem. some of us were just lucky to get the problem. The best or nothing.
dbldpr is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 PM
  #14  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 993
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Let's get together to file a petition. Maybe we can enact class action lawsuit.
tresean1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (07-24-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 07:26 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northwest Illinois
Posts: 4,707
Received 303 Likes on 293 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by tresean1 View Post
Let's get together to file a petition. Maybe we can enact class action lawsuit.
I would join
dbldpr is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,024
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by dbldpr View Post
one member had his dealer replace parts on the trans and it went away the other had the throttle control sensor replaced and it went away. I myself think it is the throttle control sensor is to sensitive. Just some dealers just do not care and use I could not duplicate the problem. You drop off car at 8:00 am and at 3 Pm you call about the car and they have not looked at it yet. Then you get the excuse.
after my K1 Piston replaced, and transmission rebuilt, under warranty. and after 1000miles, I do feel the sensitivity in the acceleration (sometimes).


It is really hard to see what I'm trying to explain, because, the camera is windshield mounted and not much of a stationary object to compare with. But, from driver seat, for a split second, you feel like the vehicle is going to take off.
Is that the same you guys feel too?

Actually that channel was to note down flaws or features, looks like, I need a dedicated channel for Mercedes benz problems (recurring).

My rear parking sensors (not the cameras) doesn't work, even after hitting something.

My Bluetooth stereo still skips a beat (the SA simply says, they couldn't reproduce).

I sent an email to MB customer service, seeking help. The reply will decide for my future car purchases and relationship with Mercedes.

I know too much electronics is not good, but, shouldn't be this bad.

Is there any vehicle with electronics to the minimal and required, and everything else as manual in the past 5 years? Like essentials would be electronic: Steering, ABS (anything else?) and everything else should be manual, including transmission.

If not, my dream is to built one like that, which will never fail.
Porsche is similar to that, but, not reliable transmissions, I believe.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
raja777m is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 09:38 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,024
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by tresean1 View Post
Let's get together to file a petition. Maybe we can enact class action lawsuit.
If it is feedback, I wouldn't care, but, law suit, sounds attractive. It will make Mercedes listen I guess. So, I'm in.
raja777m is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 AM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northwest Illinois
Posts: 4,707
Received 303 Likes on 293 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by raja777m View Post
after my K1 Piston replaced, and transmission rebuilt, under warranty. and after 1000miles, I do feel the sensitivity in the acceleration (sometimes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4FsKU2W9Hg

It is really hard to see what I'm trying to explain, because, the camera is windshield mounted and not much of a stationary object to compare with. But, from driver seat, for a split second, you feel like the vehicle is going to take off.
Is that the same you guys feel too?

Actually that channel was to note down flaws or features, looks like, I need a dedicated channel for Mercedes benz problems (recurring).

My rear parking sensors (not the cameras) doesn't work, even after hitting something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsw5IOPB8E

My Bluetooth stereo still skips a beat (the SA simply says, they couldn't reproduce).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxjjp1MyAYY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etUASb9KaVg&t=4s

I sent an email to MB customer service, seeking help. The reply will decide for my future car purchases and relationship with Mercedes.

I know too much electronics is not good, but, shouldn't be this bad.

Is there any vehicle with electronics to the minimal and required, and everything else as manual in the past 5 years? Like essentials would be electronic: Steering, ABS (anything else?) and everything else should be manual, including transmission.

If not, my dream is to built one like that, which will never fail.
Porsche is similar to that, but, not reliable transmissions, I believe.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
The quick acceleration is what some of us feel
dbldpr is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 AM
  #19  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 993
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by dbldpr View Post
The quick acceleration is what some of us feel
Well you guys are lucky. My "lumpy" acceleration is defined as laggy and hesitant.
tresean1 is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 08:10 PM
  #20  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 979
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
I had this issue early on. The dealer found I was low on tranny fluid (at 17k miles) added about a quart and the problem has not returned.
Tump43 is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 08:17 PM
  #21  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 993
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by Tump43 View Post
I had this issue early on. The dealer found I was low on tranny fluid (at 17k miles) added about a quart and the problem has not returned.
Interesting...
Can you describe, precisely, what your exact issue was? I think some of us are experiencing the issue on different ends of spectrum and I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Thanks!!!
tresean1 is offline  
Old 07-25-2017, 03:26 PM
  #22  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 979
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
The car hesitated, almost stalled, starting off from a stop in "C" mode. So the shift from 2nd to 3rd was way too early and caused hesitation, stumbling or 'lumpy' acceleration. This happened a number of times before I took it to the dealer. It is my understanding that shifts are partially controlled by the pressure of transmission fluid in various solenoids, I could be wrong, but insufficient volume of fluid would decrease pressure and cause early/mistimed shifts. Seems to make sense to me, but would love to have an expert explain how the transmission really works.
Tump43 is offline  
Old 07-25-2017, 03:42 PM
  #23  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 993
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Oh ok, mine is not quite like that; it doesn't feel like it's gonna stall. I guess the best way to describe mine would be akin to being in the car with someone who has never driven a car before: they press and release the accelerator pedal once every .5sec over and over again because they are scared to give it too much gas (hence giving the feeling of buggy accel). Even though I give it constant, steady pedal input---it feels like it hesitates as if the throttle is electronically limited at 5-10mph.
tresean1 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by tresean1:
Baron Samedi (04-25-2019), raja777m (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 03:47 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northwest Illinois
Posts: 4,707
Received 303 Likes on 293 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by tresean1 View Post
Oh ok, mine is not quite like that; it doesn't feel like it's gonna stall. I guess the best way to describe mine would be akin to being in the car with someone who has never driven a car before: they press and release the accelerator pedal once every .5sec over and over again because they are scared to give it too much gas (hence giving the feeling of buggy accel). Even though I give it constant, steady pedal input---it feels like it hesitates as if the throttle is electronically limited at 5-10mph.
Good description of what our cars do!!!! Same problem but cannot be duplicated
dbldpr is offline  
Old 07-25-2017, 03:51 PM
  #25  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 993
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by dbldpr View Post
Good description of what our cars do!!!! Same problem but cannot be duplicated
Thanks---I was hoping my description translated correctly. Glad someone else understands it.
tresean1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (07-25-2017)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lumpy acceleration?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: