E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

License Plate Bracket delete - possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 4matic Sport
License Plate Bracket delete - possible?

Long story short, here in the state of DE, some of us have an opportunity to display the state's antique porcelain license plate. They look much much better than the standard sized and pressed tin plates. Cool stuff. On my W211 (which was totaled by a txt'er), there was no license plate bracket for plate mounting, and the result was very neat, very clean and sharp. Now with my W212, there's this hideous bracket that shows behind the smaller DE porcelain tags ... so my query to the experts here ... any way to mount the plate without this stupid bracket? Looks like the bracket mounting studs might be permanent. See pics. Anyone have any idea maybe how to remove these? I dunno, kind of knit-picky I suppose ... but our porcelain DE tags look soooo much better without a bracket. Any advice would be appreciated. take a look. Not sure why I hid my plate number. Just seems like the normal protocol ....
Attached Thumbnails License Plate Bracket delete - possible?-1.jpg   License Plate Bracket delete - possible?-2.jpg   License Plate Bracket delete - possible?-3.jpg   License Plate Bracket delete - possible?-4.jpg   License Plate Bracket delete - possible?-5.jpg  

Old 07-27-2017, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I don't think you can remove those screw holes as it comes that way. And without the bracket it looks like you'd need to drill new holes for your smaller plate. You may consider putting something between the porcelain plate and the bracket or a border frame to at least hide the perimeter of the bracket. Perhaps you can get something that provides some contrast or matches the color or chrome trim of the car.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 644 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by 801
Long story short, here in the state of DE, some of us have an opportunity to display the state's antique porcelain license plate. They look much much better than the standard sized and pressed tin plates. Cool stuff. On my W211 (which was totaled by a txt'er), there was no license plate bracket for plate mounting, and the result was very neat, very clean and sharp. Now with my W212, there's this hideous bracket that shows behind the smaller DE porcelain tags ... so my query to the experts here ... any way to mount the plate without this stupid bracket? Looks like the bracket mounting studs might be permanent. See pics. Anyone have any idea maybe how to remove these? I dunno, kind of knit-picky I suppose ... but our porcelain DE tags look soooo much better without a bracket. Any advice would be appreciated. take a look. Not sure why I hid my plate number. Just seems like the normal protocol ....
I would suggest taking a thick piece of plexi-glass and drilling the holes to match what you have on the car then drill a second set of holes for the smaller plate. Put the smaller plate on the plexi-glass then mount the plexi-glass to the original holes. You can spray the plexi-glass any color you want.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
MB W212, MB W218, BMW F06, BMW F48
Originally Posted by dbldpr
I would suggest taking a thick piece of plexi-glass and drilling the holes to match what you have on the car then drill a second set of holes for the smaller plate. Put the smaller plate on the plexi-glass then mount the plexi-glass to the original holes. You can spray the plexi-glass any color you want.
+1 That sounds like a good idea. Instead of bumper hole plug, I'm definitely gonna do this method.