E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 coupe: will it baby?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, Ram 1500, Jeep GC
E550 coupe: will it baby?

Since I've decided to make the switch back to the brand I was kind of dead set on an E55/63 but hadnt really considered the E550 until I found one I really like locally. It's a 2012 with lower miles, private sale, maintained, the whole 9 yards; but the main reason for selling my current Corvette to go to something with 4 seats is I have a 5 month old that I pick up daily.

Not to say that the car would be my daily driver per se, as I have a four seat truck with a car seat base in it, but I want to maintain the option of picking him up in the car I choose as well (as opposed to the "go home and switch vehicles" maneuver I currently do).

So any folks out there with E coupes, will a car seat fit safely? I know the convenience factor of the coupe won't be of that of a sedan, but the safe possibility (yay or nay) will contribute heavily to my level of interest in this local car.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
If you're interested in a Coupe, then you're in the wrong section. there is a separate section for the coupes.

I specifically bought my 2012 E550 sedan due to 1st baby, and I previously had a CLK430, which is the early 2000 version of an E-class coupe. I would never want to deal with trying to put a baby into a coupe with rear-facing car seat. It was fine space, even for adults to climb in once in a while, but would be a tiresome PITA to get a baby back there.

Buy a sedan for a few years, until the kid can climb into a booster seat on their own. It's the same car pretty much, just 2 more doors. The 2012-2014 E550 with the biturbo V8 is beastly. I'd even say it will give a Corvette a run for the money. 11.8 quarter stock with the AC and the radio on.

One reason I didn't go for the CLS 550 is because one of our friends had a VW CC (copy anyone?) and complained that the roof line made it tough to get the baby in and out.

I can fit the baby seat in my sedan with ease, but not much leg room left in the front seat, so that becomes useless unless your passenger is like 5 foot nothing.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, Ram 1500, Jeep GC
Originally Posted by jonUF02
If you're interested in a Coupe, then you're in the wrong section. there is a separate section for the coupes.

I specifically bought my 2012 E550 sedan due to 1st baby, and I previously had a CLK430, which is the early 2000 version of an E-class coupe. I would never want to deal with trying to put a baby into a coupe with rear-facing car seat. It was fine space, even for adults to climb in once in a while, but would be a tiresome PITA to get a baby back there.

Buy a sedan for a few years, until the kid can climb into a booster seat on their own. It's the same car pretty much, just 2 more doors. The 2012-2014 E550 with the biturbo V8 is beastly. I'd even say it will give a Corvette a run for the money. 11.8 quarter stock with the AC and the radio on.

One reason I didn't go for the CLS 550 is because one of our friends had a VW CC (copy anyone?) and complained that the roof line made it tough to get the baby in and out.

I can fit the baby seat in my sedan with ease, but not much leg room left in the front seat, so that becomes useless unless your passenger is like 5 foot nothing.
My bad I didn't see there was a separate section for the coupes. Haha the wife is less than 5 foot nothing so I guess the base goes on her side.

I kind of figured that the coupe wouldn't be the top choice for a baby in tow but maybe I need to see what getting access to those back seats is actually like and visualize myself repeating that action 100s of times to see if the beauty of the coupe is worth the headache on occasion. I've never been in one. If the e coupe has power retract seats for rear entry that might be the nail in the coffin for this pursuit. Waiting for the retract every time gets annoying.