E350 base. blown speakers... yes, read other threads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 Sport W212, Previous CLK500 W209
Angry E350 base. blown speakers... yes, read other threads

What's going on guys,

So I've owned my base 2010 E350 sport for just under a year and if I have to be honest this thing is the cheapest/ poor quality MB I've owned so far. Which makes me sad as I love the design of the damn thing and dreamt of buying one when I saw the release of this chassis.

To the point, the car has the base sound system. The audio 20? If I am not mistaken. Which has gone to complete ****. All of my door speakers are blown from what I have experienced and my local dealer has told me. Low volume bass all the way down they just rattle to the point you can't hear anything. My solution was just turn up the volume and enjoy. However this still had bad quality and the typical bass rattle from time to time. Today driving home listening to some music the passenger rear speaker basically gave out and is making annoying screeching noises on just about everything it plays. I'm frustrated because I have been searching for a solution for the past year with out having to install a new amp or that will cost less than $1K Also all of the threads are older...

After going through numerous threads and forums in regards to either swapping the speakers or an efficient alternative to replacing them with aftermarket I have had no luck besides finding post saying just spend a grand or two and upgrade the whole system.

I am wondering if anyone has gone through the replacement of the door speakers or had any advise in replacing them, with something more plug and play not having to rewire everything to a new amp. All of the post I have found are over 3 years old. I can wrench but don't have a lot of experience with doing audio work and would like to avoid have to spend $1K or more.

Also from what I have read the door speakers are welded (hard to believe) to the inner door cards holding the lock mechanism and regulator. If this is true would replacing the speakers would require cutting them out or are they just sealed to the card with an adhesive? I haven't had to take the door panel off yet luckily. With that being said I'd like to find a solution to either replace the door speakers figure out options I have. I've heard of amps going bad as well but at this point I doubt all of these issues are due to a malfunctioning amp. I appreciate the advise and help!

-Rod
Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by rje315
My solution was just turn up the volume and enjoy.
good solution
Old 09-22-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by rje315

Also from what I have read the door speakers are welded (hard to believe) to the inner door cards holding the lock mechanism and regulator.
That doesn't sound accurate.

https://mbworld.org/how-tos/a/merced...peakers-388752
The following users liked this post:
rje315 (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Have had a 2010 E350 sport since new. No issues with quality or sound of any kind. I plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future because it has been such a good car and I still think it looks awesome. Was you care perhaps flooded? That can ruin all kinds of things.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by C Smith
I read through the article. Looks like I know what I will be doing next weekend. Appreciate the help!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mnje350
Have had a 2010 E350 sport since new. No issues with quality or sound of any kind. I plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future because it has been such a good car and I still think it looks awesome. Was you care perhaps flooded? That can ruin all kinds of things.
The car is immaculate top to bottom. It was bought and maintained by the original owner at the same dealer where I still take it to now (since it cost me roughly the same as my indy believe it or not with some exceptions of course). They know me pretty well there and had the car on the lift for me to review everything once I checked the papers of its history. So no flood, accident, fire damage to the car. She is super clean. Mechanically the car has been amazing but compared to my fathers 06 W211 E350 the drive and feel is lacking that heavy traditional MB feel. his car has 170K on the clock and never had any problems besides having to redo the AirMatic suspension at 140K and keeping up with maintenance (the thing drives brand new again). Like I said I absolutely love the car but a lot of people have had quality issues like where trim pieces they fade (having that issue also), rattling from lose panels after higher milage and a few other things you wouldn't experience in an older model MB. Maybe it's the heat who knows but I wish they continued with the over engineering times of the W124s...