E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Considering an E350 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus CT200

So, been debating a good third car to add to my family fleet. Okay, 4th, but I don't count my 65 mustang since half the time I have it torn apart and replacing something because I got bored. I'm only on my 4th engine build...

A little on me. Have a family of 4, possibly going to 5 soon. I need to be able to fit a combination of 3 car seats and boosters in anything.

So my main car right now is a 2011 VW Routan with 130k miles on it. While not an exciting car, it is useful. Gobs of room, sliding doors, power tailgates, and dual entertainment systems. I just don't trust it going the long haul with 20k miles a year getting put on it.
My wife drives a 2016 Lexus CT 200. Nice and fun car, but no way in the world to fit 5 in it. Heck, with our newborn rear facing, I can't even get in the passenger side without pulling a harry and the hendersons and putting my head in the sun roof. But my wife loves it.

So I've been toying with getting a 3rd car, with enough room for the family, but not another minivan. I looked at 5 series, GS350s, and e350 sedans.

I do love wagons, always have. I was probably the only 24 year old that went out and bought a volvo wagon. I've always loved them. Don't know why. Sadly the options are poor now in the states for wagons. We have the VW Golf sport wagons (which have a tight 2nd row), Subarus, Volvos (terrible reliability anymore), and Audi's (maybe a step above Volvo on reliability?).

I came across a used 2014 E350 wagon, with the sport package, and it got me thinking. I did some research and the E350 got about as good marks on reliability as the Lexus GS350 near perfect rating. Reason I worry about reliability is I don't want to be visiting my mechanic every month. I tend to keep cars for a very long time.

So my main questions:

1) When looking at used e350 series, what are the problem areas to look for?
2) How has your reliability been? I understand past performance can vary, just curious?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Assuming the car checks out, it should be pretty solid for you. There is no common issue among the E350 or wagons that I have read about on here. Hopefully you'll just see the mechanic once every year or 10k miles for service. 2014 could be CPO or still eligible for ELW depending on mileage if you want extended coverage.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
If the car is still in warranty, and a private/non M-B dealer purchase I would suggest getting a PPI from a M-B Dealer. They should also be able to give you the VMI on the vehicle (vehicles service history). If everything is satisfactory with the car, then see what a ELW would cost you. There are threads on here with useful information on where people have got a good price for a ELW/CPO extension. Good Luck!
Old 10-05-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Eclass
Your comment about long term ownership and this car has me shaking my head. The amount of parts that I've had replaced under warranty..... My ownership of this car will expire with the ELW. I really like the car and the dealership is great at taking care of every problem but there are lots.... There's a real good chance I'd get another one but only because of my great dealership experiences and not past warranty. Just to give you a heads up, my last visit, 50k service also included replacement of the therm housing, high pressure fuel line, oil line, timing chain tensioners, seat cushion and an unresolved trunk not opening with the remote. I'm also learning ELW and Factory warranty are not the same..... After each service, 6 weeks worth over the past year, the car gets better and better, again Awesome dealership experiences are picking up the MB Slack.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2012 e350 wagon
Originally Posted by Wagonguy
I came across a used 2014 E350 wagon, with the sport package, and it got me thinking. I did some research and the E350 got about as good marks on reliability as the Lexus GS350 near perfect rating. Reason I worry about reliability is I don't want to be visiting my mechanic every month. I tend to keep cars for a very long time.

So my main questions:

1) When looking at used e350 series, what are the problem areas to look for?
2) How has your reliability been? I understand past performance can vary, just curious?
I've got a 2013, Luxury, with P2. Best car I've ever owned. It's reasonably quick, great in the snow, gets great milage (pushing 30 highway) and so far has been very reliable.

I've had numerous software updates, a new oil pressure sensor and once lost the nav screen which and update fixed. That's it. I think the key on any used car is how it was cared for previously, along with the luck of the draw on the actual car. Based on my data set of one, I can tell you that my next car will likely be another one of these.

I've owned audis and volvos. This has been more reliable and more practical (bigger without being stupid big) than both.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E43
It's a wagon, I don't know why it's even a question. - sorry I am a huge fan of wagons
Old 10-06-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sprinter, red sports car, agate grey sports car, e350 Wagon
Originally Posted by adrien
I've got a 2013, Luxury, with P2. Best car I've ever owned. It's reasonably quick, great in the snow, gets great milage (pushing 30 highway) and so far has been very reliable.

I've had numerous software updates, a new oil pressure sensor and once lost the nav screen which and update fixed. That's it. I think the key on any used car is how it was cared for previously, along with the luck of the draw on the actual car. Based on my data set of one, I can tell you that my next car will likely be another one of these.

I've owned audis and volvos. This has been more reliable and more practical (bigger without being stupid big) than both.
I just got the same spec.

Really nice car. I have not had a long highway run, but think your mpg is doable.
I'm getting about 20mpg on my 10 mile back road commute in a hilly, suburban area.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:28 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
I've had an two E classes over the last 17 years. The first one was rather poor on reliability. Around 40 different repairs in 10 years. I still bought another one because I really enjoy driving the car. The new one is better (so far) in terms of reliability but it has been on a tow truck twice and has had some minor repairs and MB has stepped up and done a repair for free out-of-warranty.

IMO as these German cars age, they will cost you increasingly large amounts of money to maintain and repair. But nothing can beat the engineering, design, style and drive of these cars.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2021 C43 4Matic Wagon

I am on my third wagon, 2005 E320, 2008 E350, and currently a 2013 E350. Loved them all. In the year and a half I've owned it I'm getting 9.28 l/100 km average (25.35 US MPG) The best I've ever gotten on a highway leg is 7.13 l/100 km (32.99 US MPG).

Rock solid driving car, especially on the highway. Touch wood, I've had no significant issues with any of the three cars. Maintenance is expensive, but I only go once a year, so it averages out for me.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with an E Class Wagon, there's a reason why a whole lot of taxis in Europe are E Class Wagons.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
2014 E-350
Love the wagons! Our neighbor just got a white E400, sweet! Anyway, our 2014 E350 has 85K miles and other than melted speakers (replaced by MB out of warranty no cost to me) this car has been a flawless dream. We gave it to our 16 year old several months ago, but it looks like she wants an A4 or 3 series, so I may be driving it again after all. (she says she feels like it's not hers because it used to be mine, WTH??). Teenagers. Anyway, I'd have no reservations in regards to 2014 reliability...sure there are lemons with every manufacturer, just check it out well, sounds like you're mechanically inclined so you'll know what to look for. BTW my 1970 Torino Cobra 429CJ is in pieces, so I can relate!

We have 5 kids, so I can sympathize with the car seat fitments, especially with some being quite wide, and rear-facing when they're young. You can do it with the E class. Won't be as easy or convenient as an SUV. But with the rear-facing third row on the wagon you at least have some flexibility.

Last edited by fosterelli; 10-09-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon
My 2013 wagon has been solid. Just do the regular service and get extended warranty for peace of mind and the eventual future repair. Only 2 items to be aware. 1) If you go for Pano roof, it will creak and squeak eventually, 2) rear airmatic will eventually need replacement. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2017, 12:57 AM

E350 wagon
We just bought a 2014 wagon last week (white with the sport package). I love it so much... what a great ride. We have three kids (a bit older though, so no carseats) and we also owned a 2011 Routan. We bought the Routan new, but only kept it about 40K, then went to a Lexus GX470 with the third row just to get away from the minivan. This MB wagon has so much soul to it and it's great to have something different than everyone else out there on the roads. I do NOT miss the Routan one bit either.

Get it... you will love it. Just be warned... it's pretty low, so driving and parking habits will need to be adjusted accordingly.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
2016 S212 E400 RENNTech 345 whp/360 wtq
Wishing for the E43 Wagon to come across the Atlantic

Was thrilled to spot this in Zurich recently. I'd trade my E400 Wagon for one in a second...its even the right color! A better choice for real world driving than the E63 Wagon IMHO.

W213 E43 Estate

W213 E43 Estate

W213 E43 Estate